Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ethnic Revisionism - Mary: Queen of the Multicultural Scots

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Undividual wrote: »
    I can go back to the ones you dodged last time, if you want? I thought these were the easy ones to answer.

If you want, I can make them multiple choice?

"Are you saying that including Asian actresses for non-Asian roles is fine so long as its aimed at an Asian market?
    Do you think that Asian people want to see a movie with effectively an Asian extra, with less than 10 lines throughout the movie?
    Do you think that Hollywood today makes movies aimed at one market alone? "

As i said, those are non congruent questions. Youre leading me into presuppositions with loaded questions instead of a direct response.

The real answer is the distributors hired minority actresses because its the easiest way to sell a movie about a european monarch they never heard of

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

FunLover18 wrote: »
    You're right, that wouldn't work in The Favourite because the story focuses on three women in a world of men, it's not an overtly feminist film but Abigail's rise to power and Weisz's attempts to stop her would not be so significant if we saw a female Tory in the background. It was a bad example on my part but it also actually highlighted my point that there are historical stories that require certain accuracies. The Favourite requires an accuracy to the role of women but race is irrelevant. A black actor playing someone of the upper class neither takes anything away or adds anything to the central story of the three women or the themes of the film.

Agreed

I never realized I was racist til a troll told me so.

I better go to sleep now, I have some 'pologizin to do tomorrow...

:(

‘Damn.. all these trolls... how dare people challenge my viewpoint!’

sk8erboii wrote: »
    As i said, those are non congruent questions. Youre leading me into presuppositions with loaded questions instead of a direct response.

The real answer is the distributors hired minority actresses because its the easiest way to sell a movie about a european monarch they never heard of

YAWN!

Undividual didn't say that he doesn't like seeing black people in film/on tv. Doing so would involve him saying "I wish film and tv didn't have black actors - don't like seeing them" and he didn't say that at all, he said something quite different, so yeah it is sh1tty to say he just doesn't like black people being on the screen.

‘Its not that i hate seeing blacks in movies.. i just hate seeing them in some! ;)

• Advertisement

I wish you would challenge my viewpoint. The only challenge so far is your grammar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

It's fine to state your viewpoint. Accusing people of racism, making constant inane comments about snowflakes is just sad tbh.

‘Its not that i hate seeing blacks in movies.. i just hate seeing them in some! ;)

YAWN-A-THON!

YAWN!

Thats your answer my guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

So not what you originally accused him of saying, but still misrepresenting it.

• Advertisement

It's fine to state your viewpoint. Accusing people of racism, making constant inane comments about snowflakes is just sad tbh.

Getting offended over someones race jn a movie is pretty snowflake tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Thats your answer my guy.

The real answer is the director wouldn't do it if it was all white people.

So not what you originally accused him of saying, but still misrepresenting it.

We can disambiguate all day. Argue syntax even. But bottom line is: OP got offended because a black lady showed up in a movie

Getting offended over someones race jn a movie is pretty snowflake tbh

Op wasn't getting offended though. He's questioning why minority actors are cast to play roles in historical settings that they would never have appeared in. Why is that so problematic for you? Why the constant need to accuse him of racism?

Op wasn't getting offended though. He's questioning why minority actors are cast to play roles in historical settings that they would never have appeared in. Why is that so problematic for you? Why the constant need to accuse him of racism?

Ah yes. He wasn’t offended he only wrote about 10 paragraphs on why blacks shouldnt be in a movie lol

We can disambiguate all day. Argue syntax even. But bottom line is: OP got offended because a black lady showed up in a movie

Did you not whinge earlier that I was not taking the full context into account? You've just done the exact same thing to me.

I think the only PhD you'll be seeing will be on your psychiatrist's wall.

Ah yes. He wasn’t offended he only wrote about 10 paragraphs on why blacks shouldnt be in a movie lol

Why do you constantly misinterpret what he said? He did not say blacks should not be in a movie, he questioned why black actors were cast to play roles that would not have existed in reality.

Why do you constantly misinterpret what he said? He did not say blacks should not be in a movie, he questioned why black actors were cast to play roles that would not have existed in reality.

‘Roles that would not have existed in reality’

You pretty much destroyed your own argument with that statement

Lets not respond to him/her. I think that's enough energy spent acting in good faith when it hasnt been reciprocated.

Night all! Don't let the skaterboii's (with 2 i's) biite.

‘Roles that would not have existed in reality’

You pretty much destroyed your own argument with that statement

How so?

• Advertisement

Did you not whinge earlier that I was not taking the full context into account? You've just done the exact same thing to me.

Context: You went to see a movje thats being shilled on asian markets and thus had hired an asian actress. You then get offended by this.

Me: Points out the literal real world reason for hiring minority actresses

Lets not respond to him/her. I think that's enough energy spent acting in good faith when it hasnt been reciprocated.

Night all! Don't let the skaterboii's (with 2 i's) biite.

Indeed. He's a bit of a sad case tbh. Pity he ruined the thread

How so?

Did an Irish american really explore china in 1100 AD and fight magical monsters? Or was matt damon playing a role?

Indeed. He's a bit of a sad case tbh. Pity he ruined the thread

Ah there you go again. The ‘sad case’ of someone disagreeing and demolishing your flawed viewpoints.

Safe space ;(

Did an Irish american really explore china in 1100 AD and fight magical monsters? Or was matt damon playing a role?

No idea what you're talking about. I will assume you'd have an issue with a white actor playing a Chinese Emperor in a historical drama, same as anyone.

Good night friend.

No idea what you're talking about. I will assume you'd have an issue with a white actor playing a Chinese Emperor in a historical drama, same as anyone.

Good night friend.

Did a black lady play mary the queen of scots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I agree with the OP. It is actually the first thing I noticed in the trailer for the movie. Having black and asian actors is quite stupid as it does not depict history correctly. To me it is about as logical as getting white actors to act as Zulu warriors for example. The story should be told how it was and have characters in it how it really was, not trying to appease to people of certain ethnic backgrounds who weren't part of British history during that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The answer to that question is obvious. The film is not supposed to be realistic. It's not documentary. It's not historical reconstruction. It's an intentionally modern take on historical events. And the filmmakers signal this by deliberate anachronisms, including racial ones.

Exactly the same is true of the other film mentioned in the OP, The Favourite, although the conspicuous anachronisms there do not happen to have racial elements.

If you're looking for realism or historical accuracy, neither of these films is for you. But, then, neither of them pretends to be; in fact they go out of their way to make that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Just as an FYI, psychiatrists are a different type of doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭facehugger99

but it pretty much broke the 4th wall for me.

Agreed - it's the movie (and director) hitting the audience over the head and shouting 'look how tolerant and progressive she is'.

The movie has two great lead actors but I couldn't take it seriously.

The scene where Mary and Elizabeth meet - which never actually happened in reality - was also seriously ham-fisted.

You'd probably get a better discussion over the the Film Forum without the troll shouting 'racism'.

Advertisement