Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Males Need Not Apply - British Police Ad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Patww79 wrote: »
    Amounts to the exact same thing.

They don't. White men will continue to be hired, I assure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I think it's absolutely crazy to be honest.....

Are British natives not white?

So why have anything but a white native Britain on the ad.

It's the new thing though as very similar here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I know people have said they need certain minorities or people of a certain race in order to be accepted by those in certain communities but..

This is transport police. Ensuring public transport networks are safe and those travelling arent victims of crime or anti social behaviour.

So once they do their job who cares what race/colour/gender they are.

Society is becoming a sad place

The next thing they will have to add is travellers needed now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Ninthlife wrote: »
    When will the positions for white males be advertised?

They probably have no shortage of white males applying, and are simply attempting to encourage a larger number of people who aren't white and male to apply. I don't understand why people would have a problem with that.

• Advertisement

They probably have no shortage of white males applying, and are simply attempting to encourage a larger number of people who aren't white and male to apply. I don't understand why people would have a problem with that.

There would be riots if it were the other way around to be honest so I have an issue with it.

There would be riots if it were the other way around to be honest so I have an issue with it.

If there was a shortage of white people or men in the police force, it would be equally sensible to make an effort to encourage them to join.

If there was a shortage of white people or men in the police force, it would be equally sensible to make an effort to encourage them to join.

Do you really think they would actually advertise it like that.... Hell no, they would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Patww79 wrote: »
    Amounts to the exact same thing.

Except that it doesn't. It doesn't come anywhere within an asses roar of being 'the exact same thing'.

AllForIt wrote: »
    The UK army and British Police force are struggling to find new recruits.

Not long ago I recall an advert to entice Muslims, gays and other minorities to join the army in the UK which made news headlines.

I do agree that there is a visceral anti white male attitude in society atm that is pretty warped. Radical feminists are in part responsible for this.

What is 'anti white male' about this particular advert and event? It doesn't say anything 'anti' about white males?

Ninthlife wrote: »
    I know people have said they need certain minorities or people of a certain race in order to be accepted by those in certain communities but..

This is transport police. Ensuring public transport networks are safe and those travelling arent victims of crime or anti social behaviour.

So once they do their job who cares what race/colour/gender they are.
    Some people here seem to be very, very animated about what race/colour/gender they are. If a little advertising programme reaches a new audience that doesn't typically participate in recruitment, surely that has to be a good thing? More candidates from more diverse backgrounds.
    The next thing they will have to add is travellers needed now.....
    Great idea - just imagine how much of a benefit it would be to the Gardai to have a few Traveller members?
    The reality is that it IS the other way around, and has been for the last 50 years or so.

Do you really think they would actually advertise it like that.... Hell no, they would not.

As far-fetched as the prospect of a shortage of white, male police officers undoubtedly is, yes, I really think they would target their advertisements towards that demographic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Jobs in the Police and other front line services arent generally careers people just fall into. Its a desire from a young age usually.

An ad showing a Sikh isnt really going to reach out to a Sikh to apply unless that person has had a desire to pursue a career in this case Transport Police.

This particular campaign just seems badly done and implying its only those of a particular minority or gender need apply.

Why cant they just say all genders, races and sexual orientations apply as we are an equal opportunities employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Citizen2011

I dont see the problem with it, if the majority of their employees are white men then surely that creates a bias. The add is not suggesting that they dont want white men in the police force, theyre encouraging different types of people to join. Surely that's a positive thing?

I thought minorities were integrating seamlessly as we are continually told. You’ll have muslims insisting they only want to be dealt with by a Muslim policeman and so on. Utter ZpC typical British rubbish. It’s gone last point of no return.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Wrong wrong wrong.

This is an advert for a workshop. Not just another pointless media effort by the Met or BTP, this one actually advertises for a 'recruitment workshop', that is only open to females or BAME applicants. If you click on the link you will see this.

May I highlight something also - I've been through the recruitment process for the Police over here in the UK. It's bloody fair (even if it is a bit easy) and at no stage does it have any stage that needs to take race into account. There is not a single stage of the process that relies on the applicants previous knowledge - we all got the advance copies of the material we were to be quizzed on months in advance, and there are tons of websites available which provide other opportunities to research.

So this is a discriminatory practice. If female or BAME applicants are not applying then by all means, target them in advertising. Running workshops which prepare candidates for recruitment panels that only allow certain races, sexes or religions is discrimination. Plain and simple. People are entitled to complain about that.
    No mention of skin colour, they require people from different ethnic backgrounds, and yes, for police safety and cooperation I'd imagine its very necessary. Otherwise they wouldn't do it. Try telling a few london yardies to get a grip and deal with a white policeman.

Utter tosh. It does mention colour - the B in BAME for example. It's on the BTP website that is linked to the advertisement. If yardies are not willing to listen to a police officer because of their skin colour, then they are the racists in the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

splashuum wrote: »
    An interesting job posting from the British police. I can see why this went viral.

https://www.facebook.com/britishtransportpolice/photos/a.323104971171991/1244843678998111/?type=3

What ever happened to hiring the best person for the job? :rolleyes:

Not very PC now that. And what about WPCs? The ones who prefer to shave rather than wax are known as cúnstubbles....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Wrong wrong wrong.

This is an advert for a workshop. Not just another pointless media effort by the Met or BTP, this one actually advertises for a 'recruitment workshop', that is only open to females or BAME applicants. If you click on the link you will see this.

May I highlight something also - I've been through the recruitment process for the Police over here in the UK. It's bloody fair (even if it is a bit easy) and at no stage does it have any stage that needs to take race into account. There is not a single stage of the process that relies on the applicants previous knowledge - we all got the advance copies of the material we were to be quizzed on months in advance, and there are tons of websites available which provide other opportunities to research.

So this is a discriminatory practice. If female or BAME applicants are not applying then by all means, target them in advertising. Running workshops which prepare candidates for recruitment panels that only allow certain races, sexes or religions is discrimination. Plain and simple. People are entitled to complain about that.

Utter tosh. It does mention colour - the B in BAME for example. It's on the BTP website that is linked to the advertisement. If yardies are not willing to listen to a police officer because of their skin colour, then they are the racists in the situation.

And lets ignore where the MET were found to be institutionally racist following the botched Stephen Lawrence investigation...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,010 ✭✭✭Augme

I expect so. They can scream it from the rooftops for all I care.

My whole point is that while there may be good intentions behind these positive discrimination exercises from services that genuinely want to make use of all available talent and experience in a country regardless of race, they are doomed to failure with these counter productive ad campaigns that are going to achieve nothing except alienate large numbers of people in their traditional recruitment bases

I wouldn't want anyone who feels alienated by the above ad to be in the police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

Yes. If that happened it would just be more proof that the white natives have long ago lost control of their countries. European countries like ours are run, controlled by banks, corporations and mass media. The media runs the narrative and those who give their own opinions are shot down by the weight of numbers who are led by the media. It is a groupthink that is dangerous to democracy and more resembles something from Soviet Russia. White natives are never portrayed in a positive light, or even the narrative is blatantly anti-white.

Wrong wrong wrong.

I'm afraid it's you who's wrong, not me.

It's primarily an opportunity for members of underrepresented groups to meet serving police officers and ask questions about the job. The whole point of it is to make people who might not feel that they 'belong' in the job comfortable enough to apply. They explain it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I'm afraid it's you who's wrong, not me.

It's primarily an opportunity for members of underrepresented groups to meet serving police officers and ask questions about the job.
    The whole point of it is to make people who might not feel that they 'belong' in the job comfortable enough to apply. They explain it here.
    From the BTP's website.
    What does the workshop consist of?

Most importantly, the workshop is a chance to meet operational Police Officers and ask questions about the reality of becoming a PC

The workshop will give you an overall understanding of the recruitment process
    You will understand what is required in your application form and how best to prepare for the assessment centre
    Ultimately, the workshop will alleviate any concerns about going through the recruitment process and becoming a Police Officer
    Encouraging people from diverse backgrounds to apply is fine.
    Giving them an unfair advantage isn't.

• As long as they don't incorporate all this inclusive bullshít into allocating places in Eton, Harrow, Cantab, Oxon, corporate law, high finance and the like and just keep these ethnic and minority quotas to jobs affecting the native peasantry, the capitalist system is safe, old bean!

Oh, and don't forget: the EU/foreigners, and not the native English free market fundamentalists, is to blame for the native English lower classes having their economic position undermined like this!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭woddensanta

This is FINE! I am sure there are workshops and positive discrimination to get more males into female dominated industries like social care and teaching! Isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I don't think it's an unreasonable aspiration that public service jobs actually reflect the public they're purporting to serve.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

96b3d1491ad5b4edd7caf3c3de236b70.png

I am not on facebook and every time i open a facebook link at work, this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

inforfun wrote: »
    96b3d1491ad5b4edd7caf3c3de236b70.png

I am not on facebook and every time i open a facebook link at work, this happens.

You need to click the little Globe icon at the bottom, around the chat boxes. Looks like either you, or someone else, set it to Arabic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is FINE! I am sure there are workshops and positive discrimination to get more males into female dominated industries like social care and teaching! Isn't there?
    Like these initiatives?

https://www.dundee.ac.uk/news/2018/report-explores-ways-of-encouraging-men-into-nursing.php

http://www.malesinteaching.com/About_Us.aspx

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Sonics2k wrote: »
    You need to click the little Globe icon at the bottom, around the chat boxes. Looks like either you, or someone else, set it to Arabic.

Cant be arsed with that site. Only there if there is a clip posted somewhere but it always does this at work.

Have changed it in the past 1 or 2 but always comes back in arabic.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

I don't think it's an unreasonable aspiration that public service jobs actually reflect the public they're purporting to serve.
    What about the large Eastern European population in London? Not oppressed enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Ophelia Faint Radial

Agree, some specific minorities/religions are upto 'three times more likely' to commit crimes than a regular a regular Jim, John, Jane or Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Bit like your office or suburb then?

Why would a white woman or Chinese man (etc etc etc) be any better at policing a black area than a white man? Or should we police every ethnic group with its own police force.

Because there is a massive distrust of police in general. From brutality, corruption and massively, lack of understandment of communities they are dealing with.

There are plenty of reasons to get people from areas working as policemen in similar areas. As a popular example black people have great reason to distrust the police. I don't think I have to flesh that out anymore.

Making the police force more relatable by having just a few police officers of the same community or background operating in the areas in which they're affiliated is not a bad thing. It's just common sense.

By no means does it mean that if you're Chinese you have to work within the Chinese community but you'd have to be remiss to think it wouldn't have a positive effect If you had someone speaking the language and understands the norms better. Also in the process helping their partners/fellow police officers understand different communities/cultures through working side by side.

And I mean why not as well if it means that you are presenting one of the most important pillars of our society as being for everyone and acessible for all communities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't get what's stopping anyone of any minority race from applying for the job so I don't see the logic of saying whites can't apply. It's not like if whites apply that stops any other minority racial demographic from applying. If the police force wish to adhere to quotas they they can just do that no matter who applies. It's absurd to think that a racial minority would be more inclined to apply because of this advert if they really wanted the bloody job in the first place. Unless they feel they may be less likely to work with white colleagues which is a pretty racist position to take.

Advertisement