Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tokyo Marathon 2019

• 01-01-2019 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Is anybody going to , or has taken part before , in The 2019 Tokyo Marathon ?
    Or , has anybody got good , sensible tips or advice , for a few days in Tokyo ?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Took part in Kyoto last year, and was around Tokyo for the marathon itself the week after (obviously not taking part after Kyoto the previous week!!). Amazing atmosphere all round at both!

When are you flying in/out/how long do you have there? Can give advice based on that!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Just to jump on this thread with a question regarding semi elite spots. If you run sub 2:45 is it gaurenteed entry or is the places limited?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Limpy wrote: »
    Just to jump on this thread with a question regarding semi elite spots. If you run sub 2:45 is it gaurenteed entry or is the places limited?

Semi elite entry is called "Run as One" on the website (as you have probably found)

I think this describes the process quite well:
    https://www.marathon.tokyo/en/participants/run-as-one/pdf/RUNasONE_2019_english.pdf

As for whether it is guaranteed, I actually havent seen this clearly online... That PDF seems to suggest not:

"● Runners will be selected based on the official record through the certificates submitted, with preference given to the
    fastest qualifiers (with separate criteria for each gender)."

Which seems to suggest a Boston style methodology. (Dont take this as gospel from me!)

EDIT: sorry - that PDF also confirms that the entries are not guaranteed!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Semi elite entry is called "Run as One" on the website (as you have probably found)

I think this describes the process quite well:
    https://www.marathon.tokyo/en/participants/run-as-one/pdf/RUNasONE_2019_english.pdf

As for whether it is guaranteed, I actually havent seen this clearly online... That PDF seems to suggest not:

"● Runners will be selected based on the official record through the certificates submitted, with preference given to the
    fastest qualifiers (with separate criteria for each gender)."

Which seems to suggest a Boston style methodology. (Dont take this as gospel from me!)

Yes If that's the case sub 2:45ish might not be enough. Hopefully all the fast last are waiting for the Olympics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

I'm heading over to this, never been to Japan before. Looking forward to it

• Advertisement
Advertisement