Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 AXA Raheny 5

• 06-12-2018 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

2019 AXA Raheny 5 Entries Now Open

The 35th AXA Raheny 5 Mile Road Race, one of the most eagerly awaited events on the athletics calendar will take place on 27th January 2019 at 3pm.

This extremely popular event is growing year on year and is expected to sell out so register now.

Juvenile race schedule will be announced in January

Enter via www.rahenyshamrock.ie

Please follow our social media channels
    Twitter - @axaraheny5
    Facebook - @axaraheny5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

One of the highlights of the race calendar, great race to really kick off the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Can't wait! Best race in the country! :)

(I'll be helping with the kids' races too, so bring your kids - loads of races for them! (Start times etc TBC)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Making my Raheny debut this year all going well. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Registered for this a couple of weeks ago. Also registered son for 5 year old race

If only other races did kids events also

Hoping for a top goody bag

Oh and it's also a good race to start the year off

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

colin32 wrote: »

Hoping for a top goody bag

And hopefully full of Twixes, Wagon Wheels, Rolos, etc like most years, not like last year's "healthy" "choices"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Have signed up for it!

First ever race below half marathon distance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Getting close now, always a great start to the year this race is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I’m in. I hear ticket sales have been buoyant. Get there early. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Murph_D wrote: »

Let the usual parking crisis begin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Making my Raheny debut this year all going well. Looking forward to it.
    Likewise, hopefully a good one.

• Advertisement

I'm in too! Race ya!

Let the usual parking crisis begin!!

Or get the DART or bus! (Obviously, I know that doesn't suit everyone, but for those it does suit, Raheny is really well served with buses (31s, 32s, 29A all go to Raheny vilage, 15 goes from the southside to the Artane roundabout, about 1.5 miles from the start), and the Dart.)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Will this race sale out or can you sign up closer to the date?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Signed up for this a few weeks ago, my first time running it. Very positive comments on the thread so far, just wondering what's so good about this race in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Just a note for race day number collection, to please try to have your number available in advance.

It massively speeds up number collection for the stewards behind the desks.

Smaller races can get away with just a name, however when you have several thousand all turning up between 2:00pm and 2:40pm it all becomes a bit chaotic.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Signed up for this a few weeks ago, my first time running it. Very positive comments on the thread so far, just wondering what's so good about this race in particular?

The goody bag is usually one if the best around

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The locals enter their kids in to the kids race and end up staying out and supporting the adult runners. It's shut down for us, so we can't move our cars in or out & the buses don't run, but that's ok, the general consensus is to get involved, support the athletes, enjoy the atmosphere, clear our parked cars off the course, cheer people on & have the craic. The elite athletes are very impressive to see. Obvious months of hard winter training evident.

It's a family day with a serious nod to health and well-being. My house is right in the middle of the course and we've sheltered rain soaked supportive mams and dads with kids on good few occasions!!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's a great atmosphere around the race, lots of runners converging on a small area at the start, lots of support on the way around, and a big crowd for the finishing straight. You feel like you're getting the best bits of a big race and a small local race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The locals enter their kids in to the kids race and end up staying out and supporting the adult runners. It's shut down for us, so we can't move our cars in or out & the buses don't run, but that's ok, the general consensus is to get involved, support the athletes, enjoy the atmosphere, clear our parked cars off the course, cheer people on & have the craic. The elite athletes are very impressive to see. Obvious months of hard winter training evident.

It's a family day with a serious nod to health and well-being. My house is right in the middle of the course and we've sheltered rain soaked supportive mams and dads with kids on good few occasions!!

Best of luck.

Lovely post, fair play to you.

My favourite race of the year for tons of reasons, most mentioned by Ray.

It was my first ever race too, the excitement and enjoyment of that day will never leave me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well this year is the 35th running of the race. That means the history dates to 1985, and the glory years of old school distance running in Ireland, when Northside Dublin was king and the Hoopers ruled the roost. ;)

Parochialism aside, it’s a classic distance on a course that has had to be changed over the years but still probably represents the best route the north eastern suburbs can offer. The race is on a par with other great club races in the general region like the Dunboyne 4m (which sadly has now converted to 10k) and... well when you think of it, how many are left, outside the Frank Duffy and the Dublin Marathon?

Simply put, it’s a race with tradition, one that’s protected closely by the Raheny club. It may be outgrowing the capacity of the first mile of the course but by the time it’s all over you won’t be thinking of that. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

other great club races in the general region like the Dunboyne 4m (which sadly has now converted to 10k)
    Really? That's a shame.

John_Rambo wrote: »

Best of luck.

That's so, so nice to hear. Thanks! I'm a Raheny native as well, and I love seeing all the support out whether I'm running or stewarding, but it's really nice to hear that people on the course don't feel TOO inconvenienced and enjoy the day. Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The finish is also one of the best, the loop around the small park after you leave St Annes is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Reading this these posts has left me very excited for next Sunday!
    Just a couple of questions...

I received my racing bib already. My son is racing in the kids race but I didn't receive his bib in the mail. Will I collect it on race day?

I get the feeling parking may be an issue, so can anyone give recommendations on where is best to park without me irritating the locals.
    Thanks!

I received my race number as well, but the same as you my son didn't get his yet. It says in the email that will be sent out week before

Last year had to collect from the AXA insurance shop in raheny on the Saturday,. So guess wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm pretty sure the Raheny AXA branch is closed now.

Early weather forecast for Sunday that I've seen is a chance of snow

Could be an interesting run ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

colin32 wrote: »
    Early weather forecast for Sunday that I've seen is a chance of snow

Could be an interesting run ha

Met Eireann says dry and cold.

I was just looking on the phone app. It uses accu weather

It just adds to the fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

First time doing this race, an have a few questions. Got my number in the post, this means I just turn up at the start line and don't have to go to the registration beforehand? Just wondering about the famous goodie bag, this given out before the race (at registration?) or when you finish? Thanks, Joe

Advertisement