Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gangland Shootings [Mod Note in Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Dante7 wrote: »
    Yeah. That's the official line that is being put out now. The crime corrs whose livelihood relies on Garda leaks have also started pushing this.

its not true then that he was doing the jobs of multiple persons of his rank and above ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

What? The court was surrounded by police in a huge operation. Patsy on his bike was managed and led in and out. He could have gone back to Champions Ave or anywhere else and he was grand. Up the north with Mago most likely and then off to Turkey or Czech.

Were you there because it didn't look like that.?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that there may be something fishy going on here. GSOC have already opened an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Fox's death.

There are two main theories. The first one, which seems to be the semi-official line, and which is being pushed by the likes of Paul Williams, is that Fox made a little mistake, such as messing up the ID process, and that he suffered some sort of mental breakdown over this.

The other story is that he became very seriously compromised after possibly giving the names of all involved in the Regency to the Byrne's and that this information came out and he may have been susceptible to blackmail from the Hutch side. I thought this was unlikely, but Sadie Byrne spoke very complimentary of Fox today.

The bizarre thing is if it is theory one and Det Fox made a mistake in the ID process then was this really enough for his mental health to degrade so bad to the point he committed suicide at his own desk in the Garda station? I feel that alone is a bit of a stretch and would wonder were other colleagues involved and was there arguments between them about ID'ing Hutch? Could it have been the case that some colleagues wanted to fit the suspect and do it quick given the fall out of the Regency attack but Det.Fox disagreed? Maybe then he was put under pressure by colleagues and he couldn't see anyway out?

On theory two- even more bizarre- if true then its saying Det.Fox was in the pay of the Kinahans/Byrnes and providing them intelligence. Its not an impossible scenario given that drug cartels are served well by paying off cops for information, it was only two weeks back that we saw evidence of this with the two Gardai arrested for giving the Rathkeale Rovers information. However nothing of Det.Fox's career to date would suggest he might have been on the take, by all accounts he was a very accomplished detective with a number of successes.

I'd tend to go with some variation of theory 1 but feel there must have been more to it that just Det.Fox realising he made a mistake and then him taking the nuclear option because of that alone. Either way I don't have much confidence we are ever going to know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

mynamejeff wrote: »
    its not true then that he was doing the jobs of multiple persons of his rank and above ?

It may well be true, but I don't believe that is the reason why he put a gun to his head and killed himself.

Jeff2 wrote: »

Hang on, let's deal with this assertion of yours that the Hutches do not receive Garda protection. It is nonsense. The overtime bill for the summerhill and sheriffer areas are off the charts. Patsy is probably the most protected person in Ireland. The reason why there is not the same level of Garda protection in Crumlin is because they have all absconded.

• Advertisement

Hang on, let's deal with this assertion of yours that the Hutches do not receive Garda protection. It is nonsense. The overtime bill for the summerhill and sheriffer areas are off the charts. Patsy is probably the most protected person in Ireland. The reason why there is not the same level of Garda protection in Crumlin is because they have all absconded.
    I will say again at the court.

I said at the court.

Check out @mickthehack’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/mickthehack/status/1098174778693832704?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

https://twitter.com/mickthehack/status/1098183135236362240

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I'm not sure I get your point. There was a huge Garda presence at the court. If the Hutchs weren't being adequately protected, I am sure that the billion dollar cartel would have taken him out.

• Advertisement

I am sure that the billion dollar cartel would have taken him out.

I don't think they are being backed any more because of the heat.
    It others pushing this and I'm sure Kenahan would like the heat off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Saw a few wondering if there was a bike at the courts the other day

https://twitter.com/padraig_reilly/status/1098528466021031936?s=19

GBX wrote: »
    Saw a few wondering if there was a bike at the courts the other day

https://twitter.com/padraig_reilly/status/1098528466021031936?s=19

There is video too.

Anyone got a write Yamaha Fazer 600.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Very interesting thread. My opinion is as stated on another similar thread. I feel very sorry for colm fox. I am sorry hes not still here. My sympathies extend to him and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

There is video too.

While watching that video the one thing that struck me was how calm the attackers appeared to be throughout the whole thing.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

While watching that video the one thing that struck me was how calm the attackers appeared to be throughout the whole thing.
    I think he's referring to the video of the Motorbike leaving the court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

There must be a fairly high security presence around Jaws house no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Where did they say the 3 AK-47s where found.
    I can't believe that the hutch's would bring back 3 weapons like that to a house in Summerhill or anywhere in the city after the Regency attack
    and then stay in the house with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Where did they say the 3 AK-47s where found.
    I can't believe that the hutch's would bring back 3 weapons like that to a house in Summerhill or anywhere in the city after the Regency attack
    and then stay in the house with them.

Some fella was caught with them a few days after the attack, as far as I remember it was reported he had picked them up in a warehouse and was about to return them to the dissidents they were borrowed from, he was tried and convicted fairly quickly.

That CCTV footage is scary stuff and it's only going to inflame matters by being made public.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

At this stage we need to review who Ireland has admitted into the country.

As I’ve previously said please think carefully about your vote in the next election

Fg ff sf lab greens ppl before profit etc have no intention whatsoever of changing the current situation.
    But who is remaining then?
    The Social Democrats? Nobody should vote for them; especially with their shenanigans revolving around their support of the African asylum seeker scammer who is running for Dublin city council under their ticket.

What is needed currently is a collection of independents to come together to form an alternative party. The best scenario for us in the next couple of years is a new political party that would rise outside of the current bunch of political wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

At this stage we need to review who Ireland has admitted into the country.

As I’ve previously said please think carefully about your vote in the next election

Fg ff sf lab greens ppl before profit etc have no intention whatsoever of changing the current situation.
    Limits your options severely so. National party or some Irexit faction? More sensible way is to engage in a reasonable but firm way with the ones you don't like and tell them what you don't like. It'll make you feel better and some of them might even listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Kivaro wrote: »
    But who is remaining then?
    The Social Democrats? Nobody should vote for them; especially with their shenanigans revolving around their support of the African asylum seeker scammer who is running for Dublin city council under their ticket.

What is needed currently is a collection of independents to come together to form an alternative party. The best scenario for us in the next couple of years is a new political party that would rise outside of the current bunch of political wasters.

There's already a new party, courtesy of Peadar Toibin. SDs are a vanity project and will evaporate once the ladies step down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

Some fella was caught with them a few days after the attack, as far as I remember it was reported he had picked them up in a warehouse and was about to return them to the dissidents they were borrowed from, he was tried and convicted fairly quickly.

Joey Jones and Alan Donoghue, caught with them in Ratoath a couple of weeks after the shooting.

Regarding that Mick O'Toole twitter video of the Byrne family outside the court, the banner to the left is blurred out on most videos so can't get a full view of what it says, last lines say Colm Fox, and USB stick.

Curious to what the full text of the banner was if anyone saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭spider baby 172

I heard he didn't actually "leave" beforehand, he just left the function room the event was happening in and thus was able to escape when the shooting started. Could have been that he went to the jacks, to take a phone call or have a smoke - either way he wasn't in the room. If this was the case, he could have escaped through a different part of the hotel or just into the hotel proper.

Always assumed it was more just incredibly bad luck and bad timing for the hit squad as opposed to a full-on escape for Kinahan. The way the story has been told in various newspaper articles, a few minutes earlier and he'd have been in the room.

Exactly. The thing is I think the hotel grounds is reasonably sealed. One way in and one way out. So he can't have been far away. Likely just his good luck that he wasn't in the room at the time. Not his first time dodging a bullet.

There must be a fairly high security presence around Jaws house no?

From what I can see there is no obvious security presence. I have worked near it regularly in the past few months and have not seen a garda car once. But thats not to say there is no covert protection going on. Plus if rumors are to be believed, the Byrnes have young spotters left, right and centre of that area. I am sure Jaws will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

That CCTV footage is scary stuff and it's only going to inflame matters by being made public.

So why was Patrick Hitch charged with possession?

What? The court was surrounded by police in a huge operation. Patsy on his bike was managed and led in and out. He could have gone back to Champions Ave or anywhere else and he was grand. Up the north with Mago most likely and then off to Turkey or Czech.

The guards would have known for at least a week that this trial was going to collapse, probably more. In that time they let Patrick Hutch know of a threat against his life, and they would have been making policing plans for the days, weeks and months after his release.
    Like another poster said there is no way they would have left an unknown waiting on a motorbike outside the courts. Whoever it was driving the bike, the guards knew, it would have been planned beforehand and they likely got protection to and from the courts at least until they were out of the city.

• Advertisement

So why was Patrick Hitch charged with possession?

That possession referred to the day of the shooting itself, aka the photo of him with the gun

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement