Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipping???

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭bobster453

If I was to have a key thought, and I dont, I think it would be dont think and get in your own way.That last bit was from Dr Bob, not this one the other one, Rotella that is :)

Muscle memory from lots of practice works good for me and just trust yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

I'm probably the last person to be giving advice on chipping but reading the op it reminds me of myself a lot. I'm not playing an awful lot of Golf of late but my chipping and putting has improved lately.

I came across a YouTube video which basically explained when chipping to keep ball centre of stance and to use a putting stroke to just rock the shoulders and no wrist hinge .

Plus I only chip with my 8 iron unless I have to go over heavy rough or a bunker. I think it's crazy to be taking out wedges when playing a simple bump and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Any useful tips? Dose of the blades at the moment when trying to use the 56 wedge around the green , basic question should you flick your wrists or keep them rigid from within 20 yards?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

londonred wrote: »
    Any useful tips? Dose of the blades at the moment when trying to use the 56 wedge around the green , basic question should you flick your wrists or keep them rigid from within 20 yards?

don't use the 56 :D

try something flatter, 7 iron maybe

Seve OB wrote: »
    don't use the 56 :D

try something flatter, 7 iron maybe

I try not to use it , would use putter or 8 iron normally its last choice were need to chip onto elevated green or over some obstacles , did a bit of research and am going to check the bounce as playing a lot of links golf these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rigid, lock your hips to avoid swaying, 90% weight on left foot (assume you're right handed) and never slow down through impact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Or give up golf, that's what I did. Three years ago. And every time I see a question on chipping I feel a tremendous sense of relief and vindication, it used to cause me so much angst.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Or give up golf, that's what I did. Three years ago. And every time I see a question on chipping I feel a tremendous sense of relief and vindication, it used to cause me so much angst.
    Seriously ? You gave up because of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ah not really. Was slightly disingenuous/light hearted. I got to 8 hcap and never really practised. Chipping became a problem, yips. Ended up having to play like god to keep the handicap. Lost the love of the game a little, and found a new sport that I love. Now I play once a year on a trip with the lads and I really enjoy it, and that does it for me on the golf front, I don't miss it at all and would often feel relieved not to be playing. Still can't chip!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ah not really. Was slightly disingenuous/light hearted. I got to 8 hcap and never really practised. Chipping became a problem, yips. Ended up having to play like god to keep the handicap. Lost the love of the game a little, and found a new sport that I love. Now I play once a year on a trip with the lads and I really enjoy it, and that does it for me on the golf front, I don't miss it at all and would often feel relieved not to be playing. Still can't chip!
    Now I have to ask what sport is better than golf?!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Keano wrote: »
    Now I have to ask what sport is better than golf?!! :D

There can surely only be 1 answer!
    HURLING!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

https://youtu.be/CyWEhCyyaYY

Takes a bit if practice, but it sorted my head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

mjsc1970 wrote: »

https://youtu.be/CyWEhCyyaYY

Takes a bit if practice, but it sorted my head out.

Just Google Jason day chipping

Looks like there is 2 methods Michelson hinge and hold the wrists and Day no wrists going to give both a go with a bag of balls at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Looks like there is 2 methods Michelson hinge and hold the wrists and Day no wrists going to give both a go with a bag of balls at the weekend.

I'd say that Day's is likely a simpler method. A lot of times, amateurs, especially when trying to get the chips airborne, can get too wristy & handsy, resulting in those bladed, thin shots you were referring to.

Days method should lock in the angle of the clubface that you're returning to the ball & result in a more consistent strike...for someone struggling.

One tip I'd seen, is, in essence, almost feel like you're delivering your putting stroke with the wedge (so similar to Day, remove the wristiness from the swing), and just look to brush the grass under the ball. That one technique will work with any club, with the different lofted clubs delivering the different flight.

And as Slave mentioned previously, make sure its a committed stroke that accelerates through impact

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

For me, I converted to the hinge and hold this year. Like anything in golf it took time and practice, but I have been happy with the results. Much better and more consistent chips, and even a few chip ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Get yourself a jigger in sports direct. I use it early season before moving to using the range of clubs as I build confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Get yourself a jigger in sports direct. I use it early season before moving to using the range of clubs as I build confidence

Thats just wrong....

benny79 wrote: »
    Thats just wrong....

Lol. May not be cool. But scorecards don’t have pics

Anyone struggling with chipping is mental not use one

Also was brilliant when ground was burnt and wedge shots were very tough

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Visualise the type of shot you want to hit, hit down on the ball (ball first then ground), DO NOT DECELERATE, practice, practice, practice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Using a 7 iron with a putting stroke is the same as using a jigger.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Using a 7 iron with a putting stroke is the same as using a jigger.

This I know. But there is something about the confidence a jogger gives

As I said I tend move to the iron to chip as season progresses

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The wider sole on the jigger means its harder to dig the leading edge in and duff it, you can still skull it mind you.

Learn how to use your rescue or fw wood for the same effect and don't stick yourself behind a bunker!

Advertisement