Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cross Country Training Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

28064212 wrote: »
    Has it been established that she definitely cut the course? If she was supposed to be in the U19, it would make sense that she was disqualified just on that alone (i.e. not registered for the senior race)

If she was eligible for u19,-she wasn't eligible for the novices. You have to be at least 19 in the year of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Has it been established that she definitely cut the course? If she was supposed to be in the U19, it would make sense that she was disqualified just on that alone (i.e. not registered for the senior race)

Well, they do say that she "had not run the full race", and I presume that was established on the day. Otherwise, it'd be unfair on the athlete who, as I said, is an accomplished junior athlete with good recent form and in the earlier photos was in 4th or 5th. All of which, you think, would make it a whole lot less likely for her to cut the course.

It's not that unusual to be dq'ed for age ineligibilty - and probably more of an achievement than an offence! There was a guy a few years ago who won the Dublin Novice and Dublin Intermediates the same year who had the Intermediate title taken away a couple days later because he was too young. And it happened Siofra Cleirigh-Buttner winning a national junior xc title at 14 or 15, I think.

280 men in the Dublin Masters xc today, and 202 women. Very crowded in the first lap, but the introduction of chip timing solved the issues at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

First cross country race today. Very enjoyable. Well done to raheny for organising.

RayCun wrote: »
    280 men in the Dublin Masters xc today, and 202 women. Very crowded in the first lap, but the introduction of chip timing solved the issues at the finish line.

Disappointed to miss it - fantastic numbers, it's quite possibly the biggest men's xc field in the country - think it's bigger than last year's men's novice & masters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Was in Raheny today, was great to see such big numbers and great racing. Lovely day for it too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

First xc race since primary school. Man that was a tough start to the racing year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

RayCun wrote: »

Keep up Ray, chip timing last year too! :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Keep up Ray, chip timing last year too! :)

There was? Maybe I didn't run it last year. I'd also forgotten that we don't run through the trees at the start anymore and that change is even older.

As you can see, I'm well qualified to run the masters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

Has anyone on here run Rás na hÉireann before? Just wondering does it attract big numbers and is there a good spread of ability or more top end runners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Has anyone on here run Rás na hÉireann before? Just wondering does it attract big numbers and is there a good spread of ability or more top end runners?

Full disclosure, I'm involved in the organisation of the Rás!

Yes the event attracts very large numbers, especially the juvenile races but the senior races are healthy too. Last year we had over 1,000 entries across all races. The senior races usually have between 60-80 runners per race but this year the entries are guaranteed to be bigger as it's the 50th anniversary. Standard is usually well mixed, this year their will be an international elite field but there is also plenty of mid pack runners (like myself) that do it. Anything down to 50 mins plus for 10k will be well in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

pconn062 wrote: »
    Full disclosure, I'm involved in the organisation of the Rás!

Yes the event attracts very large numbers, especially the juvenile races but the senior races are healthy too. Last year we had over 1,000 entries across all races. The senior races usually have between 60-80 runners per race but this year the entries are guaranteed to be bigger as it's the 50th anniversary. Standard is usually well mixed, this year their will be an international elite field but there is also plenty of mid pack runners (like myself) that do it. Anything down to 50 mins plus for 10k will be well in the mix.

Thanks for that pconn062. I like the sound of it so I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Enjoyable race this morning for the BHAA cross country. Some preparation and planning must have gone into it. Mats at path crossing points was a nice touch.

Well done BOI for organising.

Also saw a Boards.ie Dublin Marathon Novices t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

How would regular cross country runners feel about having all xc races open events? In order to attract more runners to xc? To score you'd have to be registered through your club. A bit like the national 10km is open to club runners and non club runners? Just a thought.

How would regular cross country runners feel about having all xc races open events? In order to attract more runners to xc? To score you'd have to be registered through your club. A bit like the national 10km is open to club runners and non club runners? Just a thought.

It makes a difference to the insurance requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

While i think the idea of a mass participation xc event would be great. The logistics might be a nightmare.
    The tighter nature of xc courses and usually multi looped course might cause havoc...
    Also bear in mind xc doesn't hold the same appeal as road races
    Would be interesting all the same.

There are plenty of open or semi-open XC events in Leinster already - the BHAA XC races, Ras na hEireann, Star of the Sea (I think) have one in September. I don't know that the masses are crying out for more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

XC is by far my favourite race format and I would love to see more open XC events. There used to be 11 BHAA XC events in the calendar, now there is 6 give or take a cancellation. Ras Na hEireann clashes with a BHAA event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    XC is by far my favourite race format and I would love to see more open XC events. There used to be 11 BHAA XC events in the calendar, now there is 6 give or take a cancellation. Ras Na hEireann clashes with a BHAA event.

Also the Autumn open in Abbottstown
    Limerick have one early Sept, Castlegar in Galway a big promo one in Sept
    Lots of open XC races
    World Cross Country is open this year as well
    https://www.aarhus2019.dk/en/2018/03/28/registration-for-the-iaaf-world-cross-country-championships-aarhus-2019-opens-april-4th-website-just-launched/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hi there

Is there anyone racing the National Intermediates in Dundalk on Sunday the 3rd of February?

I'm trying to enter one of the lads.

Athletics Ireland have changed the format of their website and the link they give won't open for me either using Google Chrome or internet explorer.

www.athleticsireland.entry4sports.com

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

They need better tech people. Try: https://athleticsireland.entry4sports.com/

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

They need better tech people. Try: https://athleticsireland.entry4sports.com/

I tried that link again. Its given me Error: 403

Will ring them tomorrow.

Entry lists for Inters/Masters are out. Masters entries are hard to follow, but the o35 category looks absolutely stacked, inters looks a little light in terms of numbers:

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Inter_Masters_XC_31012019.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Sacksian wrote: »
    Entry lists for Inters/Masters are out. Masters entries are hard to follow, but the o35 category looks absolutely stacked, inters looks a little light in terms of numbers:

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Inter_Masters_XC_31012019.pdf

Hard to see how many are in the masters alright...
    Intermediates awful low. Have tried to get teams together here and nothing stirring , Indoors and excuses:D the reasons......... Not sure if this competition will survive. Plus the age profile of those doing Xc seems to be rising

youngrun wrote: »
    Hard to see how many are in the masters alright...
    Intermediates awful low. Have tried to get teams together here and nothing stirring , Indoors and excuses:D the reasons......... Not sure if this competition will survive. Plus the age profile of those doing Xc seems to be rising

I would love to see 3 county championship races in Dublin: 6k, 8k & 10k - each race with 3 age grades: u23 / senior / masters, and the same at National level.

Forget the Novice/Intermediate stuff - I don't think it would add much to the hassle of scoring and would hopefully increase numbers and quality. Get a league going and bring a bit more competition into it.

I'm thinking particularly of some of the young guys who come through from juniors, run away with the Novice and then are stuck doing 10k xc.

Eoin Strutt, Cathal Doyle and Sean O'Leary have been the last three winners of the Dublin Novice - I think it would be interesting if they could still compete against each other over 6k?

Any distinction between Novice and Intermediate is completely gone in Dublin. For whatever reason, the quality and depth of the field is higher in the Novice and that's the same at national level.

Particularly for Cork & Dublin athletes, you can have a middling run in the Inters and be struck out of both Novice and Intermediate for life by scoring on the winning county team unless you get regraded. There's plenty of guys in Dublin clubs who were unlucky enough to score on a winning Dublin county team in the National Intermediates who now have basically 3 cross-country races available to them every year: Dublin Senior, Leinster Senior & National Senior. I'm sure a lot just don't bother.

Presumably, everyone wants to increase participation (outside masters, who don't need much encouragement!) and, if so, then I'm not sure the Novice/Intermediate/Senior grading helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Duanington

It's unfortunate to see the numbers on the Inters dropping, can't remember the Dublin Inter numbes but it seemed healthier than Leinster or indeed how the National Inters look now.

It really does fall off a cliff after Christmas for whatever reason - while the masters continues to thrive

Duanington wrote: »
    It's unfortunate to see the numbers on the Inters dropping, can't remember the Dublin Inter numbes but it seemed healthier than Leinster or indeed how the National Inters look now.

It really does fall off a cliff after Christmas for whatever reason - while the masters continues to thrive

Think Dublin numbers were pretty okay at Intermediate this year, but maybe there's something about the 'Intermediate' name that means a lot of guys who throw their hat at the Novice think it's more of a step-up than it is. Probably not a good look that Dublin masters is going to be the biggest xc race in the country this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

I think scheduling doesn't help either tbh. Some people started the XC season back in September and had a packed schedule into early december and then it just goes quiet for 6-8 weeks. It might be a better option is to either move the odd post Christmas races to before Christmas or spread the schedule more evenly over September to January/February? Indoors and the spring road season are building up now along with many in marathon training that I think it's hard for XC to pull numbers this time of the year as people's priorities change in that Christmas break period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Duanington

Sacksian wrote: »
    Think Dublin numbers were pretty okay at Intermediate this year, but maybe there's something about the 'Intermediate' name that means a lot of guys who throw their hat at the Novice think it's more of a step-up than it is. Probably not a good look that Dublin masters is going to be the biggest xc race in the country this year.

I hope the inter races continue at provincial and national level, I love those races ( although I am guilty of missing this weekend, Seville in two weeks)

• Advertisement

Duanington wrote: »
    I hope the inter races continue at provincial and national level, I love those races ( although I am guilty of missing this weekend, Seville in two weeks)

I think 8k is a great distance for xc (not my favourite) - would just love to see more doing it, and when you see the number of masters who combine road, marathon/indoor and xc, I'm not sure scheduling is the problem. Anyway, season finishes tomorrow - good luck in Seville!

Advertisement