Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've mentioned here before about a guy I've trained with who started the same time as me and got his black belt recently. Sorry to bang on again but...
    He just took gold at euros at Lightweight! He beat Grippo in the semi and Lepri (LW king) in the final. This was only his second comp at blackbelt after UAEJJ last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Mellor wrote: »
    I've mentioned here before about a guy I've trained with who started the same time as me and got his black belt recently. Sorry to bang on again but...
    He just took gold at euros at Lightweight! He beat Grippo in the semi and Lepri (LW king) in the final. This was only his second comp at blackbelt after UAEJJ last week.

Crazy stuff! Amazing result! To beat Lepri as well in the final means he earned that gold!

Didn't see the match but how did he do it?

mickydcork wrote: »
    Crazy stuff! Amazing result! To beat Lepri as well in the final means he earned that gold!

Didn't see the match but how did he do it?
    He beat Mahecha and Grippo on points.
    Verses Lepri he hit a bermibolo early but Lepri scored to equalise. So it went to ref's decision and he got the nod for being the agressor. So very very tight match.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Was the Euros this year (as a spectator) for the first time. God the talent is immense. I cam out disheartened and motivated all at the same time ha.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

It would appear that the Irish Open in May is now a registered IBJJF event. Pretty big news :)

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    It would appear that the Irish Open in May is now a registered IBJJF event. Pretty big news :)
    On one hand, it will raise the status if the event, attract international athletes.
    On the other hand, the entery fees are probably going to increase. People are going to have to pay for IBJJF membership to compete etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

On one hand, it will raise the status if the event, attract international athletes.
    On the other hand, the entery fees are probably going to increase. People are going to have to pay for IBJJF membership to compete etc.

The fees were already very high. I stopped competiting (not that I'm very good anyway) because of the cost. I'd get far better value from a seminar than a comp with a few fights.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The fees were already very high. I stopped competiting (not that I'm very good anyway) because of the cost. I'd get far better value from a seminar than a comp with a few fights.
    How much are they usually?
    The price listed on smoothcomp for last years Irish open is less than €50. That's reasonable imo.
    The IBJJF Dublin open was $119 Usd about €100, if the Irish open is the same, doubling the price is a huge hike. Prizes probably scrapped.

Honestly never thought of the price increase, and the fact of the IBJJF membership being mandatory either.

How much are they usually?
    The price listed on smoothcomp for last years Irish open is less than €50. That's reasonable imo.
    The IBJJF Dublin open was $119 Usd about €100, if the Irish open is the same, doubling the price is a huge hike. Prizes probably scrapped.

I thought the Irish open was €60 last year? NAGA was expensive as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    2018 BJJ Goals:-
    1. Get back on the mats once my shoulder finally heals.
    2. Stay injury-free for a year.
    3. Train consistently (see 2 above).

Lots more goals but to be honest I'd be very happy if I achieved the above (as would my long suffering coach!).

So I just found this post of mine from last year. It turns out that 2017 was the year I quit BJJ as I never made it back onto the mats in 2018. However, I really miss it and every now and then I have a serious think about going back to it. Has anyone else gone back after 18 months off? The more time that passes, the scarier the decision seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So I just found this post of mine from last year. It turns out that 2017 was the year I quit BJJ as I never made it back onto the mats in 2018. However, I really miss it and every now and then I have a serious think about going back to it. Has anyone else gone back after 18 months off? The more time that passes, the scarier the decision seems.

I went back this month after a LONG time off. Last time I ever really had a good run at regular training, week-in week-out was more than 18 months ago.

In my third week back now. Sitting in work sore from last night's session, but going again tonight!

I think part of the nervousness is because I was/am a small female and, even though I got my blue belt, I was always getting smashed to bits by heavy white belts. Rolling with heavy coloured belts was never a problem as they knew how to use technique rather than just sitting on my lungs until I couldn't breathe. I really miss the actually BJJ but the whole getting crushed thing is a big part of what made me quit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think part of the nervousness is because I was/am a small female and, even though I got my blue belt, I was always getting smashed to bits by heavy white belts. Rolling with heavy coloured belts was never a problem as they knew how to use technique rather than just sitting on my lungs until I couldn't breathe. I really miss the actually BJJ but the whole getting crushed thing is a big part of what made me quit.

Is there any other gyms around you? Maybe there is one that has some smaller people training there. 18 months is a long time, maybe the gym you trained at has more smaller people.

Is there any other gyms around you? Maybe there is one that has some smaller people training there. 18 months is a long time, maybe the gym you trained at has more smaller people.

I really loved my club/team so I wouldn't consider going back to BJJ unless I went there. I guess I was just wondering if my hesitation is a normal nervousness about going back to BJJ after a long break or if my excuses/reasons are a sign that I was right to quit and it isn't the sport for me.

I'd hate to go back and then quit again. Failing twice would suck more than failing once and not trying again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

It is daunting to go back but once you do your first class you will most likely be wondering why it took you so long.

If not you have only wasted one evening

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I really loved my club/team so I wouldn't consider going back to BJJ unless I went there. I guess I was just wondering if my hesitation is a normal nervousness about going back to BJJ after a long break or if my excuses/reasons are a sign that I was right to quit and it isn't the sport for me.

I'd hate to go back and then quit again. Failing twice would suck more than failing once and not trying again!

Better to go back now and give it a shot and 'fail' than to not go back at all and wonder the same thing in next year, and the year after and so on. At least that way you'll know it's not for you and as awesomeness says you've just wasted an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Hand my first class last night. Lads fair play to you all. I play rugby and that took it out of me. My calves are killing me. Legs like jelly. Definitely going back though. Caught the bug already.

I only had a 4-5 month lay off(still a 3 stripe white) and it was daunting going back....

But i highly suggest you do. don't go back and go nuts and train 4-5 days a week, ease yourself back in to it.

and pick your training partners wisely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I took 3-4 years off shortly after I got my blue belt. The initial layoff was because of an injury, then a work promotion, then kids coming along... I had a number of excuses and eventually I realised years had passed.

When I went back, it was to a different gym, and I had a pretty modest goal of training even once a week, just a hobbyist approach. It was 'tough' in the sense that I realised how much the sport had moved on technically, and I was a poor blue belt. I remember being in side control underneath, and I felt a momentary sense of that stupid panic that you might remember from being a complete beginner. It was at that point I realised that I really had to pull up my socks.

That was two years ago and I'd like to think I've progressed a lot since then.

For me the biggest thing was that I liked the culture of my new gym and it was easy to get enthusiastic about training again. I had to take a self-directed approach to filling gaps that I had, however. Came back and realised that in some ways I was back to white belt in practical terms, had to get quickly up to speed. No one really made a fuss about a strange blue belt coming in. In hindsight I realise now that no one really cared, people in gyms are just busy with their own development, they're usually not worrying about others in a negative way!

On the upside, the break did rekindle a keenness for training that had waned. I found white belt to blue belt a real grind and I think a lot of people do, actually, because of course they're training completely the wrong way. It's only after a bit of time that things calm down.

On the small woman versus big white belts smashing you: I think that's an eternal problem for small BJJ players. I can only say that if I were in your shoes I would consider a club with a lot of coloured belts, and choose partners carefully. Being stacked or smashed by someone who has a big weight advantage and doesn't realise that they should dial it back is a learning experience but it gets old after a while. If it's a large club you might be able to set up your schedule so that you're generally paired with someone your own level or higher. I'd rarely avoid rolling with someone but for my own benefit I'll always try and hunt out someone more technical than me to roll with, and it's usually possible :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

If you're getting smashed by certain people, avoid them as it's benefitting nobody.

You will find the people who are good rolls, and then just stick to them.

The white belt roughness is nothing new, I am a purple and training 7 years and rolled with a 3 stripe white recently. I straight armbarred him from top half guard and rather than trying to protect his arm, he tried to bull through and flex his way out of it.

He is a big lad but I couldn't believe he though this would work, when I questioned him, he told me it works with all the other white belts. I explained that he needs to rethink his strategy as it may work with smaller white belts... but if he fights in his weight bracket, then it wont. He will also be left behind by the others who are learning technique, which he is.

Go back and roll smart with those who you can actually learn from or at least practice your technique. Regret what you did, not what you didn't.

Agree with the above. Smaller females, more so than any one else need to be more selective with partners. There's a few big white belts in my gym, who have the basic technique down but also put their full force into defence and escapes. A small female won't win many triangle battles

I see Joe Ruddock from ECJ got his black belt from Darragh. A really nice guy and seems really popular up there.

Started training at 41, black belt at 56. Some achievement.

He’s competed all the way to black belt and even had some pro MMA fights?

eeloe wrote: »
    Started training at 41, black belt at 56. Some achievement.

He’s competed all the way to black belt and even had some pro MMA fights?
    The more I seeing regular guys, who've been punching the clock for years, get their brown/black belts the more it's confirm that it's a product of hardwork and consistent effort rather than some inherent ability they've been gifted with (over anyone else). I find it rather reassuring to know that anyone could get a black belt. Most will quit long before that obviously.

I just think it's a nice counter to the days I consider out the time needed to get there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭creeper1

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Two chances would I pay for me grading. Fuck that.

I’m a bit late in my update on this but bizarrely all demands for money were dropped about a week later apparently the instructor boss made the decision.

It’s a relief really.

I could see how business could get in the way and lead to people getting grading they otherwise wouldn’t deserve.

I don’t think you can really fool anyone though. People have a feeling for what level they are at.

For those interested, the club is in Taiwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the draw string on my gi pants is frayed, the gi itself is perfect and only two years old does anyone know where I can get a replacement draw string?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

the draw string on my gi pants is frayed, the gi itself is perfect and only two years old does anyone know where I can get a replacement draw string?

PM me your address and I will see if I have a spare pair of pants lying around - Im sure there is! Otherwise I will get my supplier to throw in a few extra's and post one to you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

pure decent lad !

• Advertisement

Anybody here ever compete in A UAEJJF competition that had Nogi?

I have UAEJJF nationals next week. I'm a bit unsure of weight limits.
    My gi division is 77kg, and I weight in withoutbthe gi (shorts and t-shirt). But Nogi is listed as 75kg.
    Is that an error or is Nogi actually lighter.

Advertisement