Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

winter

• 09-09-2018 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Anybody ever wild camp during the winter months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Yes. Planning already? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yes, will be out.
    No flies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i did one a few years back in jan, drove down to glendalough in the evening and camped at the miner's ruins then could get cracking on an early morning hike.

my main reservation is having too much down time, do you hike in the dark? or setup while there is still light?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I always try to set up when it's bright. I plan to have time to set up the tent in light as the temperature drop makes putting up a tent a pain with cold hands. Once near the top of Lug I arrived up boiling hot. Took a few minutes to relax, cooled down, sun went down and wind picked up. A hellish 20 minutes getting fully set.

The down time is fine for me. Normally wake early and start putting everything away in early morning light.

true I lost a glove in the dark and if memory serves me my small motor skills were much reduced and putting up the tent etc was slow but I had good cover from the walls. Maybe its better to set out early to get a bit higher but yeah the wind can be a killer. If I do Glendalough again there is a good camping spot about half way up near the stream, there is a big rock outcrop so you would have good protection from a westerly wind

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I was on a hill two weeks ago, 500masl, not high but nicely exposed, grand sunny evening but nearly blown off it all night. Thought my bits outside the tent were away but everything Ok in the morning.
    Fun but too risky on places like Lug. even though I'd like to :)
    Most likely going out Saturday but will scope out a few sheltered spots. Looking for woodland pitches aswell. Plenty around. Want to try out my Bushbox XL. ;)

Planet X wrote: »
    Fun but too risky on places like Lug. even though I'd like to :)

I've camped at the top of lug twice in winter with snow. It's really enjoyable, to get the first light and the depth of vision that comes with it. I've only done it on days where the forecast is exceptionally good/calm.

32814210384_9b6bc69139_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

CardinalJ wrote: »
    I've camped at the top of lug twice in winter with snow. It's really enjoyable, to get the first light and the depth of vision that comes with it. I've only done it on days where the forecast is exceptionally good/calm.

32814210384_9b6bc69139_c.jpg

Great photo. I'd definitely wake up dead if I went camping in such conditions!

if there isn't a bad wind and you can setup its ok ok , Ireland doesn't get that cold, people do winter camping in Canada where it could be -20 or lower. -2 or so is positively balmy . I'd certainly want to guarantee its rain free.

Any special kit? I'd bring a winter sleeping bag and put the summer one inside it, and just have good gloves socks and a balaclava.

silverharp wrote: »
    if there isn't a bad wind and you can setup its ok ok , Ireland doesn't get that cold, people do winter camping in Canada where it could be -20 or lower. -2 or so is positively balmy . I'd certainly want to guarantee its rain free.

Any special kit? I'd bring a winter sleeping bag and put the summer one inside it, and just have good gloves socks and a balaclava.

Yea the coldest I've camped in Ireland is -12 on Lug. Was fine when in my tent but even going to the loo took a while to warm up from. I'll have a well labelled bottle next time.

I do think the humidity in Ireland makes it seem colder than the dryer cold you get elsewhere. I've been in Austria in -20 and felt fine but 0 in Dublin can seem colder.

Ive a Rab Ascent 700 Sleeping Bag, a Sea to Summit Comfort Light Insulated mat. Mat is a new buy so haven't used it, but it's well reviewed.

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    Great photo. I'd definitely wake up dead if I went camping in such conditions!

Ah, you'd wake up delighted. :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Lots of snacks, a full belly keeps you warmer, and passes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭thedavman009

CardinalJ,

How would you rate your new sleeping mat?

I have a Thermarest All Season which is great but the crinkly noise is a real problem and I am thinking about changing.

TDM

How would you rate your new sleeping mat?

I still haven't taken it out for a night but should have in the next 2 or 3 weeks. From just lying on it, it feels very firm. V easy to inflate and goes back into its bag really easily which is important given I plan on using it in cold.

I'd read about the crinkly noise from the thermarest, but it was price that made me go with the sea to summit.

its years since ive been up there but would Turlough hill be a good spot in winter to get some cover, there is a wall of some sort around it?

Just waiting on a Cumulus Down bag from Poland,

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/

....slight custom build so going to take a bit longer, ordered 6th Jan.

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/down-sleeping-bags/panyam-600-457825?gid=59&vid=6

...then I'm back up the hills. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Planet X wrote:

How much was it?

....as in the link above ^^^^....from €319.

silverharp wrote: »
    its years since ive been up there but would Turlough hill be a good spot in winter to get some cover, there is a wall of some sort around it?

Massive perimeter wall around reservoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/

....slight custom build so going to take a bit longer, ordered 6th Jan.

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/down-sleeping-bags/panyam-600-457825?gid=59&vid=6

...then I'm back up the hills. :)

Seems fairly pricey compared to similar bags. Have you had one before I've never heard of them?

• Advertisement

Not had one before.
    Good reviews, read loads about them. Very good quality apparently, well made.

For a "Comfort" rating of minus 6c. and sub kilo. it's not a bad price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Not had one before.
    Good reviews, read loads about them. Very good quality apparently, well made.

For a "Comfort" rating of minus 6c. and sub kilo. it's not a bad price.

I was looking at a robens serac 600 the other day slightly heavier but similar spec and a lot cheaper just wondering to myself if the one you linked is much better. I have a robens 300 and can't fault it the foot box is great.

I've been using a Deuter Trek Lite 3 season, Comfort of around +2c. for about the last ten years. Nice down bag but afraid to use it winter. Have used it in near freezing conditions autumn/spring, but it's fair nippy :)
    Looking forward to my Cumulus now.

Advertisement