Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tyre advice needed - to mix or not to mix?

• 12-06-2021 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi all,

Front tyres on my car need to be replaced. Problem is the rear pair are different brands. One is a Bridgestone (20 months old) , the other a Uniroyal (18 months old). They are the same size and speed rating and both have loads of tread left.
    I'm thinking of replacing the Uniroyal while I'm changing the front pair and matching the brand on both axles - so buying 3 Bridgestones. The remaining Bridgestone hasn't got much wear on it. Alternatively, I could just replace the front pair (although I've read mixed brands on the same axle isn't ideal). Option 3 is to change all 4.

I don't know enough about tyres and would appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Probably not what you want to hear but I'd replace all 4 if it isn't prohibitively expensive. What size are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Compudaro wrote: »
    Hi all,

Front tyres on my car need to be replaced. Problem is the rear pair are different brands. One is a Bridgestone (20 months old) , the other a Uniroyal (18 months old). They are the same size and speed rating and both have loads of tread left.
    I'm thinking of replacing the Uniroyal while I'm changing the front pair and matching the brand on both axles - so buying 3 Bridgestones. The remaining Bridgestone hasn't got much wear on it. Alternatively, I could just replace the front pair (although I've read mixed brands on the same axle isn't ideal). Option 3 is to change all 4.

I don't know enough about tyres and would appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

Id replace front and leave the rears and get some mileage out of them knowing that once worn, you will be replacing them for a matching pair and all will be ship shape then.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Probably not what you want to hear but I'd replace all 4 if it isn't prohibitively expensive. What size are they?

Thanks. 215/55 R17

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stick the 2 odd ones on the back, assuming it’s a front wheel drive car, and get two new matchers for the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement