Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cover Letter

Options
  • 12-06-2021 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

M friend recently graduated in education and she is having troubles finding a job. Her cover letter isn’t the best. She is becoming a primary school teacher. Any chance, anyone here has a sample cover letter they might have used to apply, just so she can get a jist and use a template. I would highly appreciated. She is is very stressed atm and I hate to see her like this, as any friend would, any little advice or guide to the right direction would help them ��.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Hi there,

M friend recently graduated in education and she is having troubles finding a job. Her cover letter isn’t the best. She is becoming a primary school teacher. Any chance, anyone here has a sample cover letter they might have used to apply, just so she can get a jist and use a template. I would highly appreciated. She is is very stressed atm and I hate to see her like this, as any friend would, any little advice or guide to the right direction would help them ��.

Thanks again.

Anyone out of college will find it a challenge to secure a job. She needs to apply for everything and be prepared to be casually subbing for the next school year. Lowering her expectations will help her manage her stress - there is a long Summer of applications and she will take the pressure off herself by accepting that she may need to sub next year or that she may not get sorted till November.
    She needs to tailor her cover letter for each school - go to their website and try and match her skills / interests with the school - after school clubs , sport etc etc. Keep the cover letter short and to the point - all information is already on the standardised form.
    The best piece of advice I can give your friend is to accept that getting started in teaching is a lot of hard graft - casual subbing - getting known in schools , leading on to covering sick leaves / maternities etc etc. Some do get a job straight out of college but this is not the norm and depends on being in the right place at the right time and the stars aligning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Anyone out of college will find it a challenge to secure a job. She needs to apply for everything and be prepared to be casually subbing for the next school year. Lowering her expectations will help her manage her stress - there is a long Summer of applications and she will take the pressure off herself by accepting that she may need to sub next year or that she may not get sorted till November.
    She needs to tailor her cover letter for each school - go to their website and try and match her skills / interests with the school - after school clubs , sport etc etc. Keep the cover letter short and to the point - all information is already on the standardised form.
    The best piece of advice I can give your friend is to accept that getting started in teaching is a lot of hard graft - casual subbing - getting known in schools , leading on to covering sick leaves / maternities etc etc. Some do get a job straight out of college but this is not the norm and depends on being in the right place at the right time and the stars aligning.

Thank you so much for this insightful post!!! Really helpful and gets to calm her a bit. She mentions she works as part of an agency, like 3 days a week, but would want to work as a proper primary school teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Has she trained and qualified in Ireland? Agency work wouldn’t be a term used here in primary teaching. Tell her to follow some teachers on social media. Instagram/Facebook. Muinteoir Valerie and Irish primary teacher for example. These often hold. Q and A sessions online about job applications, cover letters and cv/application forms for teaching jobs. Their advice can be useful for newly qualified teachers. Seems to be an awful lack of this info disseminated in the training colleges as far as I can tell.

Advertisement