Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People with a funny idea of the rules of the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Me travelling around a fried egg roundabout with the right of way... Elderly free licence Ford driver enters the roundabout almost hits me and roars at me;

"I had possession of this roundabout, you should yield to me"

That's his funny interpretation of the rules of the road regarding roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

Whuut.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    So you believe it's OK to change lanes when entering a M/way without letting any other road users aware of your intentions ?
    And that there's no need to check for existing Traffic on the M/way ?

Some slip-roads can be 1/2km long. But we'll all just guess when you are going to change lane.:rolleyes:

I have to disagree with you, you're not "Changing" lane you're "Merging" into a lane. Yes you do need to Mirror, Yes you do need to cede right of way but signaling, no real need at all, unless you are indicating that you are about to pull up on the hard shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Ak84

Roundabouts.
    Entering. A single lane roundabout from stopped position today. Got about 2 ft on when this car came flying on from my right. She was only looking right to see that she wouldn't get hit By something. Anyway, I stopped as i only have the vehicle a week. And off she flew around and didn't even notice me.
    But same thing happened before and I ploughed on to the roundabout. Now I was already on the roundabout for a couple of seconds when this car came on and had to brake up behind me. She sat on the horn even tho she entered the roundabout at 40 kmh.

Not to mention the interpretation of the SI should be from the viewpoint of a reasonable person, not someone with an axe to grind. Maybe that’s why no one ever hears about court cases involving people cycling 3 abreast.

Suggest you go to the legal forum and ask that question, it's not the view point of a reasonable person it's a statute. Now you may disagree with the statute but that is for a higher court to decide or even higher if given leave to appeal the decision, NOT a reasonable person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Suggest you go to the legal forum and ask that question, it's not the view point of a reasonable person it's a statute. Now you may disagree with the statute but that is for a higher court to decide or even higher if given leave to appeal the decision, NOT a reasonable person

It’s all in the thread you posted.

Driving many years now and there is still one situation that confuses me. Want to turn right on to a main road and there is another car wanting to turn left onto the same road. In other words, the street they are on is just to the right of me. It feels like I should have the right of way but technically they are closer to joining the road so Im sure I have to yield rather than crossing in front of them..
    In reality we end up just looking blankly at each other, waiting for someone to break the impasse and either signal for one of us to go first. Either that or neither of us makes eye contact and both proceed at the same time and awkwardly meet in the middle, annoyed at each other but unwilling to admit we were unsure!!

The car turning left has precedence, you are crossing a lane of traffic to join the lane they are turning left

I can easily over take 2 abreast cyclists on most roads

Easily, but not safely.

Can you pass two cyclist, leaving a safe distance, without entering the other lane?

You can't, there's very few, if any, roads where you could do that safely with one cyclist.
    If you have to enter the other lane then you know it's clear and can take up the entirety of the oncoming lane so it makes little difference between 2 and 3 people.

What people normally mean here is that they're happy to push out into the oncoming lane a bit without being able to see if it's going to be clear*, or at the very least expecting the oncoming driver to move over in their lane.

In either case it's dangerous driving.

*what can, will, and does happen here when an oncoming car appears is the overtaking car pulls left and ploughs into the cyclist

I have to disagree with you, you're not "Changing" lane you're "Merging" into a lane./QUOTE]

Merging is changing lanes. The lanes are going in the same direction but you're still changing lanes.

You move across a line. You end up in a different lane. You're changing lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    I agree with you (as I posted above) and you make a very good point about not trusting indicators... I don't think it's such a stupid question though. The counter point to what both you and I have said is that according to the lane markings at junctions, the minor roads actually cease to exist at junctions and in that sense it isn't taking the other lane, as that lane doesn't at that moment exist and the other driver has no rights to the major road lane until they're actually in it.

What I quite like about this thread is that there's at least something about driving laws that any one of us is uncertain/wrong about and we can get some info on it.

Im not saying its a stupid question, but I am a bit shocked, all the same I agree, it's better to ask/say/query, I think that situation is very plain myself. My reading of the situation is, the cars are both travelling in opposite directions on the same road and want to turn onto the same side road, so the car in its lane coming towards the OP has right of way in that lane over other vehicles, certainly ones coming towards it who want to turn across.
    Not sure what you are talking about minor lanes not existing though, in reality they exist, cars coming from them onto a larger road/depending on road markings usually dont have priority over cars on the larger/main road already.

Ak84 wrote: »
    Roundabouts.
    Entering. A single lane roundabout from stopped position today. Got about 2 ft on when this car came flying on from my right. She was only looking right to see that she wouldn't get hit By something. Anyway, I stopped as i only have the vehicle a week. And off she flew around and didn't even notice me.
    But same thing happened before and I ploughed on to the roundabout. Now I was already on the roundabout for a couple of seconds when this car came on and had to brake up behind me. She sat on the horn even tho she entered the roundabout at 40 kmh.

If you were waiting to get onto the roundabout, then while the driver on it should be mindful you exist, they have right of way, you should have stopped if by which you mean you attempted to move onto the roundabout with a vehicle on it already, you really dont sound like you should have moved onto the roundabout at all though.
    Dont want to sound preachy, but vehicles on the roundabout have right of way, you shouldnt be ploughing on, they would rightfully expect you not to drive out in front of them.

Although these days, I'd be wary, as I have noticed people have a tendency to drive on and disregard cars right of way that are already travelling on the roundabout, seems to mostly occur on 2 lane roundabouts in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I have to disagree with you, you're not "Changing" lane you're "Merging" into a lane. Yes you do need to Mirror, Yes you do need to cede right of way but signaling, no real need at all, unless you are indicating that you are about to pull up on the hard shoulder

You can disagree all you like.
    But page 144 of RotR says you're incorrect.
    Signal early to other motorists that you intend to merge.

...and that's down as a "must", not "should". I'm sure you know what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Nothing worse than trying to merge on to a motorway and some gobeen is in front of you doing 70-80km/h and refuses to go any faster.

A quick snappy merge at 130km/h does the trick. Gives you the option to slide in front most times, give it a touch more welly if required or back off a tad to slot in behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

The best practice is signalling imo, at the least its a flashy blinky light that helps get another drivers attention.
    Merging driver should match speed and join, cars on motorway should allow cars merge easily.
    If they are slightly ahead, I'll let them in, if I am ahead and room to move I'll keep going and let them merge after me.

Some people act like knobs and refuse to allow people to merge even when all are in the best position to do so,

I have had when merging, cars either forcing up past me or trying to, thinking they own the motorway, ie not let me on or try not let me on, even when I'm matching speed. Dicks

Or when on the motorway, people hesitant or slowing looking for somewhere to get in when you are leaving an opening, them slowing down more only makes things worse, unless traffic is heavy/stop start and might suddenly slow or even stop, so I do move out in advance if its suits.

wandererz wrote: »
    Then you have the people dawdling along behind trucks on a motorway. You are in the outer lane travelling faster to overtake them.

And then boom!
    At the very last minute, just as you are behind them, decide to pull out in front of you into the overtaking lane.

And continue at the same slow pace.

It's a game between my spouse & I now.
    I'd say I am right about 98% of the time because I'm such a great mind reader.

Some people can only read 5mts of road in front

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Ak84

1874 wrote: »
    Im not saying its a stupid question, but I am a bit shocked, all the same I agree, it's better to ask/say/query, I think that situation is very plain myself. My reading of the situation is, the cars are both travelling in opposite directions on the same road and want to turn onto the same side road, so the car in its lane coming towards the OP has right of way in that lane over other vehicles, certainly ones coming towards it who want to turn across.
    Not sure what you are talking about minor lanes not existing though, in reality they exist, cars coming from them onto a larger road/depending on road markings usually dont have priority over cars on the larger/main road already.

If you were waiting to get onto the roundabout, then while the driver on it should be mindful you exist, they have right of way, you should have stopped if by which you mean you attempted to move onto the roundabout with a vehicle on it already, you really dont sound like you should have moved onto the roundabout at all though.
    Dont want to sound preachy, but vehicles on the roundabout have right of way, you shouldnt be ploughing on, they would rightfully expect you not to drive out in front of them.

Although these days, I'd be wary, as I have noticed people have a tendency to drive on and disregard cars right of way that are already travelling on the roundabout, seems to mostly occur on 2 lane roundabouts in my experience.

No. She was 3 yards away from entering the roundabout while I had moved on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

A had a first the other day driving on the M7: I was cruising along at 120 and approaching convoy of slower trucks. I checked the mirror and saw there was someone coming up the outside lane to pass me so I put the indicator on and hung back from the trucks waiting for the other car to pass so I could move out. As soon as the indicator went on, the driver of the other car stood on the brakes and screeched down to way under the 100 I was doing at that stage. He then pulled up alongside me with the window open giving me every gesture in the book for daring to use my indicator. I guess the accepted procedure is that you pull out as soon as the indicator goes on, if not before, regardless of what's behind you.

The other one making me laugh at the moment is that so many motorway drivers believe they have to go all the way to the end of the merge lane and squeeze through the gap between the end of the dotted lines and the hard shoulder.

wandererz wrote: »
    And then boom!
    At the very last minute, just as you are behind them, decide to pull out in front of you into the overtaking lane.

I have a theory that it's people who learned to drive long before we had motorways or didn't have any multi-lane roads nearby.
    So their concept of overtaking is totally based on single-lane roads and they learned that it's safer to come up behind and begin the manoeuvre at the last minute, because that other lane is oncoming traffic and you might have to pull out.
    They don't get that the mind-frame is different for motorway overtaking where you have good visibility, you know there's no oncoming traffic and you should do everything in good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    I have a theory that it's people who learned to drive long before we had motorways or didn't have any multi-lane roads nearby.
    So their concept of overtaking is totally based on single-lane roads and they learned that it's safer to come up behind and begin the manoeuvre at the last minute, because that other lane is oncoming traffic and you might have to pull out.
    They don't get that the mind-frame is different for motorway overtaking where you have good visibility, you know there's no oncoming traffic and you should do everything in good time.

Really? Are you being serious? So anybody who learned to drive back in the time of Fred Flintstone just stopped learning after that, zip, nada. I've passed my test and that's it, this has to be a wind up.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Really? Are you being serious? So anybody who learned to drive back in the time of Fred Flintstone just stopped learning after that, zip, nada.
    Some, definitely not everyone and I never suggested it was
    CoBo55 wrote: »
    I've passed my test and that's it.
    I'm sorry to break it to you, but there's a hell of a lot of people who think this way, and I mean across all ages/generations.
    There's genuinely a huge number of people who think the driving test is some kind of high standard, not a piece of paper to say "well done, you aren't completely incompetent ", will continue to do the absolute bare minimum behind the wheel without a single second of self-reflection, and think anything more than that is just being silly/fussy. Ah, sure it's grand.

He said I should be thankful he doesn't have a dashcam because if he did he'd be reporting me to the Gardaí. He told me to learn the rules of the road. LOL

You should have said to him that you have a dashcam and that you are going to report him and also put up on YouTube, that would quieten him down.

• Advertisement

In relation to all such incidents it's as well to be aware of the wording of the SI relating to driving without reasonable consideration

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/act/28/section/4/enacted/en/html

It's looks so catchall that a good barrister could probably make a case that both parties were driving without reasonable consideration

...and that's down as a "must", not "should". I'm sure you know what that means.

I know what it says, i also know there is no offence of NOT indicating.

Unlike the highway code in the UK which is based on law, the RotR in Ireland are a mishmash of advice and regulations. I really don't know why people trot it out as some kind of gospel when there are no statutes to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I can easily over take 2 abreast cyclists on most roads, 3 abreast ( depending on how rapidly they are switching leader ) can be much more of an inconvenience, which is (funnily enough ) exactly what the SI says in relation to inconveniencing

Anyways if you want to argue the finer points of that SI, the whole legal forum will probably await your input with much anticipation.

"I can easily over take Nissan Micras on most roads, Range Rovers can be much more of an inconvenience"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Fast2move wrote: »
    It is only by repeatedly enforcing correct driving behaviour and etiquette will people actually change their driving habits. But I have long given up expecting that to ever happen in Ireland
    Do you realize that the gob****e in the OP (the fella merging onto the motorway) thought he was doing exactly what you are advocating?

It is not up to individual members of the public to enforce driving behavior on others, not least because half of all drivers don’t know the correct rules to enforce

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Just a word of warning, all of this distraction caused by merging vehicles is a significant danger to drivers who are on the motorway

At 120kph your car travels 33 meters per second. If you’re spending several seconds watching a car merging, trying to work out his speed and trajectory and whether he is a risk to you or not, your car could travel over a hundred metres and if there is an incident up ahead of you you might not be aware of it because you’re focusing your attention to the left and behind you

This happened to me years ago, I was traveling at 120kph when someone was merging a little too close for comfort so I checked my mirrors, all clear behind me, there were no cars in front of me for at least a hundred metres so I pulled out to the right hand lane
    While I was doing this some guy had decided to stop his car on the overtaking lane of the motorway without even turning on his hazards because he saw a swan in the central reservation in front of him. By the time it registered with me that his car was stopped, it was too late to stop, I couldn’t go left because there was a car that had just merged next to me, so I slammed on my brakes, and went right to the gap between the stopped car and the barrier. Which was when I hit the swan

McGaggs wrote: »
    "I can easily over take Nissan Micras on most roads, Range Rovers can be much more of an inconvenience"

Not really, other than needing to hang back a little further to give a better view.
    Unless you're implying that Range Rover drivers drive differently from Micra drivers, if not then both are easily overtaken when necessitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Not really, other than needing to hang back a little further to give a better view.
    Unless you're implying that Range Rover drivers drive differently from Micra drivers, if not then both are easily overtaken when necessitated.

The RR is wider, similar to two bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

One thing that really annoys me is being behind a car waiting to turn right off a main road, and they stay in the middle of the lane instead of moving over just to the left of the the white line, while waiting for a break in the opposite direction traffic. So while they are waiting to turn they block the straight-ahead traffic behind them unnecessarily.
    I don't mean the straight-ahead traffic squeezing past where there is no room, I mean wide roads where the lane is wide enough for two vehicles, and sometimes even has road markings showing what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Akrasia wrote: »
    Just a word of warning, all of this distraction caused by merging vehicles is a significant danger to drivers who are on the motorway

At 120kph your car travels 33 meters per second. If you’re spending several seconds watching a car merging, trying to work out his speed and trajectory and whether he is a risk to you or not, your car could travel over a hundred metres and if there is an incident up ahead of you you might not be aware of it because you’re focusing your attention to the left and behind you

This happened to me years ago, I was traveling at 120kph when someone was merging a little too close for comfort so I checked my mirrors, all clear behind me, there were no cars in front of me for at least a hundred metres so I pulled out to the right hand lane
    While I was doing this some guy had decided to stop his car on the overtaking lane of the motorway without even turning on his hazards because he saw a swan in the central reservation in front of him. By the time it registered with me that his car was stopped, it was too late to stop, I couldn’t go left because there was a car that had just merged next to me, so I slammed on my brakes, and went right to the gap between the stopped car and the barrier. Which was when I hit the swan
    That incident surely backs up the OP's point. You needed/felt the need to expend resources and take action due to a merging vehicle. Meanwhile, up ahead there was a hazard. Maybe the other guy should not have stopped for the swan but certainly he was right to be on high alert. The swan has an excuse for being a hazard, it's a dumb animal, what excuse do merging idiots have.

There is what amounts to a culture of poor merging, reinforced by other drivers jumping out of the way and the RSA's half arsed advice.

Let's apply this to other situations. I am driving along a single carriageway main road and I see somebody up ahead waiting to emerge from a side road and turn left. While I am aware of their presence I don't
    a) stop
    b) move to the other side of the road to let them out as some sort of "courteous" act
    c) expend a lot of my cognitive resources on them

Drivers have to assume a certain level of competence in other drivers and that they have a basic understanding of rules of the road, otherwise, chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Jeju

Was in heavy city school traffic one morning and heard an Ambulance behind,.moved into a left turning lane and stopped as did car behind. Ambulance passed I turned on right indicator started moving out and car behind races out and cuts me off, ended up following the fcuk wit for about 10 minutes at snails pace. Thing is he had an L plate so must be teaching one of his children to drive, although not with him on this occasion.

Advertisement