Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for 21st Birthday Watch

• 05-06-2021 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

As a rare poster here, I trust this is not out of order.

Eldest son is approaching 21st Birthday, and there is something about a "grownup" watch that seems appropriate. It's nice to have a decent watch, even if only worn half a dozen times a year. Like many he either wears a Fitbit or no watch...

What thoughts: Omega Seamaster 300 seems a default choice?

I have one, like it, and it fits on his wrist well.

Or are watches wasted on the next generation...

What thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

fortyplus wrote: »

What thoughts.

Yes on most of them.

My thoughts are along the lines of 'he's your son so why ask strangers when you could ask him?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As a rare poster here, I trust this is not out of order.

What thoughts: Omega Seamaster 300 seems a default choice?

I have one, like it, and it fits on his wrist well.

What thoughts.

Does he wear yours at all?

I had my youngest brother hit 21 this week and a watch was on the radar.
    He rejected the thought outright, he wanted cash for his car insurance.

My own son is 17 and does appreciate a nice watch his taste is far more dressy and even feminine than my own.
    I'm a sports watch and diver guy, whereas he would lean towards gold and small.
    He has a 23mm (32mm, it's a 32mm I'm blaming fatfingers) tank that is his go to.

If you are confident you know what he likes, go for it.
    My own thinking in at least offering my brother a choice was, that in our family at least.
    Watches are a traditional present for the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭fortyplus

OK, thanks for the various inputs.

To clarify, I guess I was fishing for a few suggestions as to actual watches worth looking at.

I have a few nice watches, but a casual rather than serious owner. So have a nice JLC Duoface for dress, (yep, both everyone likes that one!) a Tag & Omega for more casual/ everyday.
    But since I no longer go to an office, mostly I don't wear any watch...

So I was asking those more knowledgeable than myself what would be worthwhile looking at as that would stand the test of time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

To clarify, I guess I was fishing for a few suggestions as to actual watches worth looking at.

I have a few nice watches, but a casual rather than serious owner. So have a nice JLC Duoface for dress, (yep, both everyone likes that one!) a Tag & Omega for more casual/ everyday.
    But since I no longer go to an office, mostly I don't wear any watch...

So I was asking those more knowledgeable than myself what would be worthwhile looking at as that would stand the test of time.

Firstly we need pictures of your JLC love those Duo face

Omega 300 seamaster is a excellent choice, but Tudor are not taking over the mantel of Omega for first good watch. New tudor is what old rolex was, well made desirable tool watches. It all depends on the budget really. BLack bay 58, Seamaster 300p, Rolex Oyster professional, Grand Seiko snowflake...lots of good choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Sling him the Tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If the budget goes to it I think a moonwatch would be the one to go for. It and the sub have never gone out of fashion in the last 50 / 60 years so it would be a safe guess they will still be desirable for the next 50 or so .Bonus points if you could get a birth year one for him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

A moonwatch is kind of a watch nerds sort of watch though. I don't think I would have really been into it when I was 21. For a young lad, I'd go down the dive watch route. You need to clarify budget though, very hard recommend without knowing that.

redlead wrote: »
    A moonwatch is kind of a watch nerds sort of watch though. I don't think I would have really been into it when I was 21. For a young lad, I'd go down the dive watch route. You need to clarify budget though, very hard recommend without knowing that.

Without being crude about it, budget is not the primary issue. That being said, it's a long way from over-engineered (or cleverly marketed?) Swiss watches I was dragged up ;).
    So on a balance of keeping in touch with reality, etc, ~5K appears reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think seamaster is a good choice, I think dive watches are popular with younger folk. Obviously you know him best, I'd go with seamaster ahead of moon watch. I'd go for a grand seiko or zenith myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

OP you've a sizeable budget there to risk buying in the blind. Any gift you give him will take on sentimental value as well as it's intrinsic worth.

I have two boys who turned 18 and 21 last year, rather than land a watch on them that they may not like and are then obliged to wear and maintain. I thought i'ld see if I could hook them on the watch bug first, which worked out, they got to checking out watch reviews etc before they each made their choice. They went for entry level automatic dive watches. I have a couple of watches from the 60s and 70s, that are still ticking away. I've no reason to doubt a €500 euro seiko diver won't be still running in 2071. You don't have to go big straight out of gate. A Seamaster might be ideal if that's what your son wants/ chooses to wear. If it's not his choice you've landed him with something that has sentmental value but little else that binds him to it.

As an aside, I got my brother a birth year seiko for his 50th. He loves it, but is worried about scratching the crystal. So I figured I better give him a beater. I have a Casio S100 modern watch that I thought he might like, he travels for work and the s100 is jump hour, solar, radio synced etc.

So I put my box of watches in front of him, and whoa and behold the s100 was the one he picked out of the box to take a closer look.its his birthday next month so I'll size up the S100 for him.

So i'ld say bring your son into a jewellers and browse a few watches, make a day of it, he'll remember that.

• Advertisement

njburke wrote: »
    OP you've a sizeable budget there to risk buying in the blind. Any gift you give him will take on sentimental value as well as it's intrinsic worth.

I have two boys who turned 18 and 21 last year, rather than land a watch on them that they may not like and are then obliged to wear and maintain. I thought i'ld see if I could hook them on the watch bug first, which worked out, they got to checking out watch reviews etc before they each made their choice. They went for entry level automatic dive watches. I have a couple of watches from the 60s and 70s, that are still ticking away. I've no reason to doubt a €500 euro seiko diver won't be still running in 2071. You don't have to go big straight out of gate. A Seamaster might be ideal if that's what your son wants/ chooses to wear. If it's not his choice you've landed him with something that has sentmental value but little else that binds him to it.

As an aside, I got my brother a birth year seiko for his 50th. He loves it, but is worried about scratching the crystal. So I figured I better give him a beater. I have a Casio S100 modern watch that I thought he might like, he travels for work and the s100 is jump hour, solar, radio synced etc.

So I put my box of watches in front of him, and whoa and behold the s100 was the one he picked out of the box to take a closer look.its his birthday next month so I'll size up the S100 for him.

So i'ld say bring your son into a jewellers and browse a few watches, make a day of it, he'll remember that.

Appreciate that, all very valid points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Some people don't like having to wind up watches daily (I like winding my Speedy) so even knowing if he would like an automatic or a manual wind (or hey electronic) watch is a consideration.

When budget is no consideration - would you consider going further upscale...something that perhaps at 21 he might think "cool design" but come his 30s, 40s, 50s etc. realise - wow that is some pretty awesome horology stuff i.e. Vacheron Overseas?:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/vacheronconstantin/overseas-42052-automatic-stainless-steel-mens-watch-35mm--id19828589.htm
    US - so tax (may) apply on import...

It's rugged enough that it should survive a 21 year old - and (more than) special enough that if he becomes a watch nerd in his 30s/40s/50s he'll realise what he has in his hands (or on his wrist).

Going completely the other way - how about something new and rugged from Sinn?
    https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/U50_TEGIMENT.htm
    U50 - on tegimented steel - 2600 euro delivered, will definitely be rugged enough for a 21 year old. Lovely slim diver - 11.15mm thick.

:pac: I note that the U50 uses a SW-300 movement inside too :P

Advertisement