Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie update - so long, Pacman

• 03-06-2021 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

I'm only just catching up on the big boards.ie update happening next week, completely passed me by.

Just read that apparently this little lad won't be on the new version :pac:

So long Pac-dude. Use him as much as you can now before he's gone forever!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Tork

Does this mean nobody can add Atari Jaguar to polls either?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tork wrote: »
    Does this mean nobody can add Atari Jaguar to polls either?

That is a treasure tradition...
    And worthy of a poll!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Oh.my.gad...he/it shall live on forever! 554860.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

[B]New features for users[/B]
    [B]Images: [/B]
    Images can be directly uploaded from your device and embedded into a post without any of the faffing about with copying links we currently have. From third party hosting sites, again you will be able to just insert the link using an Insert Media button. This includes the likes of Twitter and Instagram posts.

[B]Videos: [/B]
    Can be simply embedded with just the share link from Youtube or Vimeo. No wraparound tags required as they are now and it will not be limited to YouTube only.

Boards.ie to finally enter 20th Century!

FINALLY I won't need to use my phone in desktop mode just to embed an image or video.

They should reconsider a new app also since this move will enhance features.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    [B]New features for users[/B]
    [B]Images: [/B]
    Images can be directly uploaded from your device and embedded into a post without any of the faffing about with copying links we currently have. From third party hosting sites, again you will be able to just insert the link using an Insert Media button. This includes the likes of Twitter and Instagram posts.

[B]Videos: [/B]
    Can be simply embedded with just the share link from Youtube or Vimeo. No wraparound tags required as they are now and it will not be limited to YouTube only.

FINALLY I won't need to use my phone in desktop mode just to embed an image or video.

They should reconsider a new app also since this move will enhance features.

The Pacman emoticon is the only image you need!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

You missed a :pac: at the end of your statement there o1s1n, for added effect :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The only perfect emoji / emoticon / whatever: it adds a layer of playfulness and even sarcasm without dipping into hostility. It tempers and moderates conversations in a way none of its brethren can. It is unexplained and random, yet instinctively understood by all.

You’ll be missed, little dude. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭Inviere

Doge wrote: »

I urge caution, Boards.ie and 'site upgrades' have never been nice bedfellows. The previous attempt (the 'responsive' site) was an unmitigated disaster, so much so that it was pulled offline not long after it launched. The previous version after that (the current version now) was largely criticised for making browsing/discovering forums far less effective than it used to be. We've all just got used to it since, but the much older skins which are no longer supported were largely responsible for the boom growth of the site.

The next version will look like the horrible Talk-To forums, won't feature a dark mode (seriously?), and while they do enable some long overdue features, I'll remain cautious. The lack of a dark mode will definitely curtail my use of the site until implemented.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I'll always maintain that removing all the categories from the top and reducing them to one 'topics' drop down completely killed off most of the smaller sub forums. Half the time when I'm actively looking for something, I can't find it, let alone just browsing things to dip in to.

I basically only go to the 'my forums' drop down list now and get to stuff that way. Does mean not discovering anything new.

Haven't really used the Talk To forums, dear god that's not going to be pretty :eek:

(Obligatory :pac:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm going to miss I wonder if

• Advertisement

:pac:

Poor guy will be missed.

Master of the Universe

A smart lad over in the upgrade thread saved Pacman by just turning him into a hyperlinked image instead.

I shall be bookmarking this and posting it everywhere I can on the new site :pac:

https://b-static.net/touchapp/i/smilies/pacman.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm going to miss I wonder if

Yep, looks like videos will be easier to embed.

So, this comes with two days off for Cat Mods and Mods, as Boards becomes read-only for the duration of the upgrade.
    What to do with the spare time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, this comes with two days off for Cat Mods and Mods, as Boards becomes read-only for the duration of the upgrade.
    What to do with the spare time?

Mojitos

Master of the Universe

Create an A&R whatsapp group and ban everyone from it over the two days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

I was actually thinking a discord server might be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

A MSN group chat, keep it retro

A&R MySpace page anyone?

Maybe a BBS?

A&R '88 FTW!
    amiga_1000_connected_to_an_apple_iigs-hosted_bbs_via_telnet9-100733719-large.jpg

Is nothing sacred?

Apparently not. :pac:

You can take our :pac:, but you'll never take our :pac: !!!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Picture sent from my folks out in Bray where the sky is clear.

Sky Pacman is clearly unhappy he's being deleted from the new boards.ie update and wishes to make it known.

Whats-App-Image-2021-06-10-at-10-36-48.jpg

Master of the Universe

Really great live stream for anyone that's interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scEYIFoGrh4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Totally cloudy here in blaaland can't see a thing

Totally cloudy here in blaaland can't see a thing

You must be right in its path so :eek:

:pac:*

*While we still can :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Is the announcement gone ? I can't find it anymore .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

free the Pac one!

Advertisement