Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clock related Chess etiquette/rules.

Options
  • 26-05-2021 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭

Player losing, turns off clock: does he forfeit the game?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

You can pause the clock if you're resigning or making a claim to the arbiter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Turning off the clock is different to pausing it though.

The FIDE handbook says that "Improper clock handling" may cause a player to default the game, but the arbiter may instead opt to warn the player or add time to the opponent as compensation for the distraction (rule 6.2.4, which refers to 12.9 for penalty).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for the link!
    One more, who decides which side the clock goes at?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It depends. Often it's the player playing the black pieces. But in a tournament where there are lots of games taking place alongside each other, the arbiter may require that all clocks face the same way so that they can keep on eye on multiple clocks at once if required. In an individual tournament, the players can usually rotate the board so that the clock is still on black's preferred side. But in a team tournament, you can't do that, so the clock would be on white's right half the time and black's right half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for the responses, case closed for now: I need to learn a bit more :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

Thanks for the link!
    One more, who decides which side the clock goes at?

In tournaments or matches controlled by an arbiter, the arbiter decides.
    (Article 6.5 in the FIDE Laws of Chess.)

Otherwise the custom is that the clock is placed on Black's right hand side unless Black is left handed and prefers the alternative.

The practicalities of organising a competition efficiently can sometimes require a different placement from what the players might prefer.

In the new Arbiter Manual 2021 (page 23) there are some pertinent comments to the law, including mentioning that it's not unknown in team matches for a player to press the clock on an adjacent board.

If you are not playing official events, you can take it that cdeb has covered your queries fairly thoroughly.

Advertisement