Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aquabike / Aquavelo

Options
  • 25-05-2021 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Is aqua bike popular in Ireland? I would have thought there were alot of people out there like me that used to do triathlon's but can no longer run. Just wondering what peoples thoughts on the sport are? Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The first one in Ireland I believe was the Fingal Triathlon in Skerries in 2015 so havent been around too long here. I have entered the National Champs this year because I haven't been able to run in a year (I haven't swam either but thats just with the pools being closed rather than injury) . Duathlons are popular with those that cant swim or arent competitive in swimming however I dont think yet it has had the same uptake. Personally I am glad to see the option at races, it isnt a whole lot more work to organise but it allows people to still race.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

I think if you go on TI website you can select Aquabike. I don't think there is that many races.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kurt Godelfish

This is a useful site for European events. Loads in the UK by the looks of things.

https://www.aquabike.events

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sparrow123

The first one in Ireland I believe was the Fingal Triathlon in Skerries in 2015 so havent been around too long here. I have entered the National Champs this year because I haven't been able to run in a year (I haven't swam either but thats just with the pools being closed rather than injury) . Duathlons are popular with those that cant swim or arent competitive in swimming however I dont think yet it has had the same uptake. Personally I am glad to see the option at races, it isnt a whole lot more work to organise but it allows people to still race.

Very good. I looked at the national champs in lough cutra and looks very good. Might enter myself, just with covid and fear of cancellation. Any thoughts if it will go ahead as planned?

Bertje14 wrote: »
    I think if you go on TI website you can select Aquabike. I don't think there is that many races.

Thanks for info. There is very few races. Shame really. Maybe in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I came here looking for the same info. I wonder if there is a reason they are not so popular here with all the events in the UK. Maybe a critical mass, or lack of information. I had obviously heard of triathlons but had no idea about aqua bike events until recently

I have entered the Lough Cutra Aquabike race scheduled for this weekend, which is the National Champs. I used to do triathlons a good few years back, but had to give up because of hip problem. As a result, I switched to masters and openwater swimming. Then BOOM! Covid-19 comes and swimming pools are closed.

Small kids + no outlet = losing the plot 🤣

So I took up road cycling and fell in love with that. This will be my first time doing a multisport race in years and I must say, I am thoroughly looking forward to it (can't beat the buzz you get off a multisport event).

I will post my experience of the event afterwards here and I would enjoy reading other peoples experience of the event or any other event for that matter.

By the sounds of it can knock one place of my rankings right there. Will see you on Sunday, should be a good buzz to be back racing

Good luck to you both today. Did the sprint yesterday and it was a well organized event, albeit with it only 11 people competing in both m and f.

How did you get on? Was there a big field?

• Advertisement

The Aquabike standard distance race was very good in my opinion. It was the National Championships, so some serious operators at the race also. Your time stopped when you hit the timing mat as you crossed dismount line for T2. There was just over 40 people doing the race and results can be seen below (can't post link). I will definitely be doing this again next year to be honest.

Great to hear! Numbers will only go up in future years i'm sure. Well done

Great buzz off the event IMO. How did you enjoy the event?

Cheers was a bigger field than previous years, race director told us time was taken on the Avenue on the way back not at the dismount so I lost at least a minute or two sitting behind slow moving Olympic distance athletes because I though my race was over which is a pain

The last time this event happened my time would have placed me 2nd overall less than a minute behind the winner. This year I didn’t touch the top 10 so a much tougher field

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

I'm also interested in this type of event and would do some if available. It strikes me that it should be 'easy' enough to have more of this category as you just have to stop the clock at the end of the ride in a regualar event for the people registered for this. However, I've no experience of the running a triathlon and I appreciate that what looks 'easy' is often not that easy at all.

There are a few available - Lough Cutra this weekend, Lanesborough, Loughrea, Skerries and maybe a few others.

I also think that it should be easy enough to run these events with a triathlon and have the technology filter those who competed in the aqua bike and finished the bike part from those who competed in the triathlon but stopped after the bike event (if any). Maybe numbers and safety is the issue?

Good luck to anyone competing this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Looking to do one of these next year, the only few I see are listed above and typically the clash with work / family events

If and more around the top half of the country I'd love to see them thanks in advance 👍

Keep an eye on the triathlon Ireland website, you can filter by race type, but they are not a very popular option unfortunately

Advertisement