Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 262: Oliveira vs. Chandler

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

HOLY F*CKING ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Wow did not see that end coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,450 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wow, well that was five minutes if lightning in a bottle.

I want a rematch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Great first round, Oliveira did well do weather those punches towards the end and then come out and finish it so early in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

that left check hook was ****ing beautiful.

• Advertisement

Good on Oliviera. Chandler is the real deal. No one can dispute Oliviera now. I wish he'd fought Khabib, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,460 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just shows Chandler can be a real problem and still in the mix, beautiful by Charles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's very sad to see Tony like this, he's a shadow of the fighter he was before covid.

And lots of people are going to overrate Dariush after this, just like they have Oliveira.
    You are way overrating Dariush. He's not that good, he's facing an old man here who's done..
    I think you're trying way to hard to undermine Dariush's win by crapping on Tony. And yes I'm aware you picked Dariush in betting. That just means you thought he'd win, as most of us did.

What's this pre-covid Tony all about? When exactly was this prime Tony?
    He fought exactly like he's always fought imo. Which is to say sloppy, unorthodox, and making a few errors. He's always got away with it against lesser opponents and scrapped a win. He's ability hasn't disappeared by a massive degree. He's simply fighting in the top 5 recently, and getting punished for those mistakes.

I've said he's overrated for years. People remembered the win streak. and forget the times he was nearly finished in the first.

Good on Oliviera. Chandler is the real deal.
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just shows Chandler can be a real problem and still in the mix, beautiful by Charles!!

after the Hooker fight we all knew Chandler was dangerous, especially in rd 1 with his explosive power.
    But I think this fight confirmed that he simple succeeds by being a wrestler throwing powerful overhands and lacks a lot of MMA fundamentals.

He turned the wrong way and gave up his back very easily in round one. That's a real early 2000s wrestler mistake. Obviously it happens when guys are rocked, or misdirected into it. But that seamed unforced.

And the finish sequence. When Charles stepped in with the knee feint. He dropped his hands. And they weren't very high to begin with. You need to be a very technically skilled striker to pull that guard off. That's not Chandler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Great fight, and delighted for Olivera. Seems to be a super nice person.
    Does anyone really think these are the best two in the division fighting for top spot though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Good on Oliviera. Chandler is the real deal. No one can dispute Oliviera now. I wish he'd fought Khabib, however.

Khabib would have murdered him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Chandler handled the loss well but he has to be raging with himself

A few shots possibly from finishing charles and had that last minute of so of
    round one been standing I think he'd have got the finish

derfderf wrote: »
    Great fight, and delighted for Olivera. Seems to be a super nice person.
    Does anyone really think these are the best two in the division fighting for top spot though?

I fancy Dustin or Justin against against either of those guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

mailburner wrote: »
    I fancy Dustin or Justin against against either of those guys

That's what I was thinking. At the least.
    I know it's rare to have two guys fighting for an unclaimed belt, but it's even rarer to say neither are the best. I would say Olivera deserved the fight though, he handled everything put in front of him.

derfderf wrote: »
    I don't think anyone thinks that. But they are in the top 6, and they were the only 2 in the top 6 coming off a win other than Dustin.

It would have been Dustin v Oliveira. Which would have been the best two guys on wins imo.
    mailburner wrote: »
    I fancy Dustin or Justin against either of those guys
    I'd fancy Dustin against both.
    I fancy Justin against Chandler. I think that's the fight to make next at the top of the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭akelly02

I put 5 grand on ferguson. He's made me more than twenty times that in the past. But its time he hung his gloves. Its over. He's too weak, too slow, too old.

Just had the 20grand on dariush myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Outstanding main event. That first round was possibly the craziest single round of a title fight that I can remember.

That finishing sequence starting from the point at which Chandler was rocked and with his back to the cage was so reminiscent of McGregor-Mendes at UFC 189. Just the way that Chandler was trying to get away, moving backwards along the fence with a pained expression and Oliviera landed flush to knock him down again before finishing him with a flurry of punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Agree with a few of the posts above that these aren't the two best guys in the division. Justin, Gaethje and Mcgregor would beat them all comfortably. Entertaining fight but very lacking in quality considering it was a title fight

Agree with a few of the posts above that these aren't the two best guys in the division. Justin, Gaethje and Mcgregor would beat them all comfortably. Entertaining fight but very lacking in quality considering it was a title fight

Not sure this version of him would beat anyone of them right now unless he
    shows significant improvement in the rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Remains to be seen how good he is going to be but what he showed against Poirier would have been sufficient to be either of those two I thought

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote:
    I think you're trying way to hard to undermine Dariush's win by crapping on Tony. And yes I'm aware you picked Dariush in betting. That just means you thought he'd win, as most of us did.

What's this pre-covid Tony all about? When exactly was this prime Tony? He fought exactly like he's always fought imo. Which is to say sloppy, unorthodox, and making a few errors. He's always got away with it against lesser opponents and scrapped a win. He's ability hasn't disappeared by a massive degree. He's simply fighting in the top 5 recently, and getting punished for those mistakes.

I've said he's overrated for years. People remembered the win streak. and forget the times he was nearly finished in the first.
    Ferguson was immense and yes you can question just how good those he fought were to a certain extent but that's not his fault.

As regards Dariush who you seem to like. Whose the best he's fought? Would it be Barboza who knocked him out or Chiesa who subbed him? Has he fought anybody better than those two?

Ferguson was immense...
    When was this? What fight are you talking about?

His streak was impressive, but he scrap through a lot of them fights. I think he created a myth about him. People talk about his elite 10th planet BJJ. When he was a brownbelt who did some crazy **** in lieu of fundamentals.
    and yes you can question just how good those he fought were to a certain extent but that's not his fault.
    I'm not questioning how good those guys are.
    I'm questioning Tony's performances in those fights. Which is his fault.
    As regards Dariush who you seem to like. Whose the best he's fought? Would it be Barboza who knocked him out or Chiesa who subbed him? Has he fought anybody better than those two?
    You are talking about fights there were 4 and 5 years ago.

But I supposed the best guy he has fought is the Tony Ferguson. He mauled him for 3 rounds, and wrecked his knee with a heel hook. I expect to see Dariush in the top 5 during the week when the rankings are next updated.

Dariush's grappling credentials are far far better than Tony's. He would have outgrappled him at any point of the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

And lots of people are going to overrate Dariush after this, just like they have Oliveira.

So not only is Dariush overrated, but so is Oliveira? As in, the new UFC Lightweight Champion? Okay.

Mellor wrote:
    But I supposed the best guy he has fought is the Tony Ferguson. He mauled him for 3 rounds, and wrecked his knee with a heel hook. I expect to see Dariush in the top 5 during the week when the rankings are next updated.

Tony is done, that's been clear since the Gaethje fight.
    He's not close to the same level as he was.
    You are overrating Dariush.
    And Ferguson beat the same Barboza who ko'd Dariush.

So not only is Dariush overrated, but so is Oliveira? As in, the new UFC Lightweight Champion? Okay.
    Whose he beaten? Gaethje, Poirier, McGregor?
    He's beaten Tony who looks done and Chandler who looks quite ordinary.

Was wondering why Beneil let go of Tony’s leg instead of submitting then at the interview Beneil said he heard it POP. Jesus christ.

He took about 50 headshots from Gaethje. Had his arm turn inside out by Oliviera. Then Beneil thought it was over cause he heard his leg pop.

Tony is supernaturally tough. Cardio and athleticism faded but he’s still the boogieman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

Good card though it's hard to watch Tony's last few fights. He's done at this stage and heading down the Cowboy route.

Main event was solid. I was wondering though why Chandler didn't let Olivera back up and try and finish him standing after wobbling him. I get the ground and pound, but it became clearly after a very short time that it wasn't going to work.

Great shot by Olivera though. Chandler was rocked hard by that hook. Really interested in seeing the next fights for both, Chandler more so actually.

Tony is done, that's been clear since the Gaethje fight.
    He's not close to the same level as he was.
    You are overrating Dariush.
    And Ferguson beat the same Barboza who ko'd Dariush.
    You keep saying he done, but you won’t name a fight where he was immense.
    He’s faded a bit. He was never as good as you’re making out.

Im overrating Dariush at #5 (after the obvious Champ and top 4)?
    Where would you put him? Where you you put Tony.
    You’re entitled to your opinion. As anyone is. But surely you can back it up?

Mellor wrote:
    Im overrating Dariush at #5 (after the obvious Champ and top 4)? Where would you put him? Where you you put Tony. You’re entitled to your opinion. As anyone is. But surely you can back it up?
    If Dariush is 5 and Oliveira and Chandler are ahead of him the division is on a bad state.
    Right now for me the top fighters on the division are Poirier, Gaethje and RDA.
    I'd personally rate Mackhachev and Gillespie as next best after those three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

If Dariush is 5 and Oliveira and Chandler are ahead of him the division is on a bad state.
    Right now for me the top fighters on the division are Poirier, Gaethje and RDA.
    I'd personally rate Mackhachev and Gillespie as next best after those three.

Gillespie got beat by Kevin Lee who's been on a massive slide, not one win of note.

Who the feck has Mackhachev beaten?

Advertisement