Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

May shocker: strong winds, squally showers, even the potential for wintry showers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Cuckoo storm, also known locally as the storm to bring in the May heads. The long rods with seaweed connected to it. you see washed up on the beach. Used to be collected for iodine as well as other things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cuckoo storm, also known locally as the storm to bring in the May heads. The long rods with seaweed connected to it. you see washed up on the beach. Used to be collected for iodine as well as other things.

Very interesting

Have a distant memory of that, looked it up and found this on Duchas

This is a collection of folklore compiled by schoolchildren in Ireland in the 1930s

14sWkv2.jpg?1

And below an interesting link with the Cuckoo to Scaraveen from the Irish Independent

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/bad-weather-is-price-of-the-cuckoos-misdeeds-31109871.html

Letters
    Letters to the Editor

March 31 2015 11:15 PM

Strolling out from Mass on Saturday evening, a friendly neighbour - aware that I am a year-round sea swimmer - jocosely advised me to stay out of the sea until "Scaraveen" has passed. Her reference to "Scaraveen" reminded me of a gifted teacher who taught me Irish, history and geography in Tralee CBS.

I always enjoyed this particular teacher's classes, as he had a wonderful way of blending his extensive general knowledge seamlessly into his teaching. When it came to Irish culture, folklore, history and sport he was without equal. So, while I have heard and read many definitions of "Scaraveen," I have never deviated from my former teacher's description.

According to him, "Scaraveen" is an anglicising of the Irish phrase "garbh shion na gcuach", which means "the rough weather of the cuckoo". The Irish term gradually became "garbh shion", then "Garaveen" and, finally, "Scaraveen."

The cuckoo winters in sub-Saharan Africa and returns to Europe in early spring. She is a solitary bird, more often heard than seen. The familiar "cuck-oo cuck-oo" call heralds the beginning of spring, when the cuckoo returns to our shores.

The cuckoo, one of the most infamous brood parasites, lays her eggs in the nests of small song birds with precision timing. Once hatched, the cuckoo chicks eject the legitimate occupants and are then fed by the unsuspecting foster parents. The cuckoo chick is already a true master of deception.

Folklore has it that "Scaraveen" is nature's way of exacting retribution on the cuckoo for the havoc she causes in the bird world. From about April 15 to May 15, mild spring weather has been known to revert to cold, wet miserable weather, which is more typical of winter. Unfortunately, we all pay the price for the cuckoo's misdeeds.

I'm sure Evelyn Cusack and the Met Éireann team can come up with a scientific explanation for the phenomenon of "Scaraveen" and, indeed, the much maligned cuckoo may be an entirely innocent party. But, until they do, I'll stick with my former teacher's definition.

Billy Ryle

Tralee, Co Kerry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest output from ECM and ICON would suggest the warning level might need to be increased to gusts up to 110 km/h . ICON is a bit out on its own with the highest wind gusts, even higher then the EURO 4. ARPEGE just rolling out and much the same as previous run showing a lot of rain overnight in the W.

M1EACbP.gif

EN90Sor.gif

Kaj49uO.png

F7vzIzg.png

3Kmi2iq.png

V7NuK3C.png

wQsFFtf.png

aMYgdrp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Heavy rain has arrived in Sligo. It's been raining past 2 hours 4mm so far

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Cuckoo storms - fascinating !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Aunt rang the auld lady there asking had we battened down the hatches. Apparently one of her neighbour's said theres a big storm on the way and is gona hit Galway at midnight!
    I went straight on to Met Eireann and saw only the yellow warning that was issued earlier. Where the hell are sum people getting their news?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Believe Met Eireann, others tend to exaggerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Aunt rang the auld lady there asking had we battened down the hatches. Apparently one of her neighbour's said theres a big storm on the way and is gona hit Galway at midnight!
    I went straight on to Met Eireann and saw only the yellow warning that was issued earlier. Where the hell are sum people getting their news?!

Poor oul Michael Fish got caught out the same way years back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am actually looking forward to a day inside watching the rain and the TV.
    All that good weather has me worn out and I am sick of gardening!
    The farmers need some rain too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Looking at the charts the wind seems more a problem than the rain. Following the dry March-April the ground should soak up much of the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Jez don't know who read the forecast just now on radio but he was all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ratracer

South Galway and there isn’t even a leaf blowing on the trees. Eerily calm, not a drop of rain either.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Very interesting

Have a distant memory of that, looked it up and found this on Duchas

This is a collection of folklore compiled by schoolchildren in Ireland in the 1930s

14sWkv2.jpg?1

And below an interesting link with the Cuckoo to Scaraveen from the Irish Independent

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/bad-weather-is-price-of-the-cuckoos-misdeeds-31109871.html

Letters
    Letters to the Editor

March 31 2015 11:15 PM

Strolling out from Mass on Saturday evening, a friendly neighbour - aware that I am a year-round sea swimmer - jocosely advised me to stay out of the sea until "Scaraveen" has passed. Her reference to "Scaraveen" reminded me of a gifted teacher who taught me Irish, history and geography in Tralee CBS.

I always enjoyed this particular teacher's classes, as he had a wonderful way of blending his extensive general knowledge seamlessly into his teaching. When it came to Irish culture, folklore, history and sport he was without equal. So, while I have heard and read many definitions of "Scaraveen," I have never deviated from my former teacher's description.

According to him, "Scaraveen" is an anglicising of the Irish phrase "garbh shion na gcuach", which means "the rough weather of the cuckoo". The Irish term gradually became "garbh shion", then "Garaveen" and, finally, "Scaraveen."

The cuckoo winters in sub-Saharan Africa and returns to Europe in early spring. She is a solitary bird, more often heard than seen. The familiar "cuck-oo cuck-oo" call heralds the beginning of spring, when the cuckoo returns to our shores.

The cuckoo, one of the most infamous brood parasites, lays her eggs in the nests of small song birds with precision timing. Once hatched, the cuckoo chicks eject the legitimate occupants and are then fed by the unsuspecting foster parents. The cuckoo chick is already a true master of deception.

Folklore has it that "Scaraveen" is nature's way of exacting retribution on the cuckoo for the havoc she causes in the bird world. From about April 15 to May 15, mild spring weather has been known to revert to cold, wet miserable weather, which is more typical of winter. Unfortunately, we all pay the price for the cuckoo's misdeeds.

I'm sure Evelyn Cusack and the Met Éireann team can come up with a scientific explanation for the phenomenon of "Scaraveen" and, indeed, the much maligned cuckoo may be an entirely innocent party. But, until they do, I'll stick with my former teacher's definition.

Billy Ryle

Tralee, Co Kerry

Loved this. Thank you.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Not a breeze overnight in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Stormed in out here. Loud night; high wind and heavy rain.. ROOO TEEEN! Not usually in May...but there we are. Times they are a-changing.

Snugged in.

MT; thank you for the warning. Forewarned etc.

opps… connection shak...…. y.

West Mayo offshore

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Soft morning in Dublin 16. Calm with light rain. First rainy morning in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

A lot of the action is probably above the cloud deck inland for the time being, that will change once the occluding cold front pushes east and turns the gradient wind more westerly allowing the strong gusts on the Atlantic coast to start moving through the middle of the country, expect a gradual increase in wind speeds all day inland, but on the coast depends on positioning, some will have a couple of peaks around mid-day and late afternoon, further north there will be a lull when the low centre moves directly through north Connacht towards south Ulster. Anyone reading this near the north coast of Ulster will be in strong east-southeast winds for a time as the low makes that move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

There is a a good video on YouTube of the cuckoo storm of may 2020 "Gharbai'n na gcuach - cuckoo storm"
    Think its filmed in Achill, but not %100.
    Explains the gathering of the kelp and wrack that gets washed in.

There’s a trampoline balancing on a fence a few doors up. Rang the doorbell of the house but no answer. Just hoping they wake up soon and look out their back windows as I’ve got to head off shortly. Moved everything that could be in its path. I’d like to come back to intact patio doors though.

Windy North Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ratracer

It’s wet and wild in South Galway for the last couple of hours now, pretty much as forecast. Not much left on the cherry blossom tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Awful waste of a day off it’s a pity it couldn’t have held off for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Max gust here in Cobh of 60.5kmh this morning. Roches Point has gotten an 80kmh so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

ratracer wrote: »
    It’s wet and wild in South Galway for the last couple of hours now, pretty much as forecast. Not much left on the cherry blossom tree.

The poor oul cherry trees got shaken up alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Max gust of 66KPH in Kildare so far this morning. Certainly giving the trees a good shake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wild, wild morning here on the west cork coast. Very heavy rain since around 4am. Winds picked up massively and the trees are bending at times with all the leaves on them. Mad! Love a good storm though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not alot of rain with just 4mm in the manual gauge this morning at 10am. Windy, top gust 38mph so far here in south Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Wild, wild morning here on the west cork coast. Very heavy rain since around 4am. Winds picked up massively and the trees are bending at times with all the leaves on them. Mad! Love a good storm though :)

In winter maybe but a bank holiday in late spring no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

WET and WINDY here in north Kildare - WILD

Hope the trampolines are tied down otherwise they are going skyward !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10am
    Malin head and roaches point gusting 48 knots (89 km/h)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Total contrast to yesterday, where we spent the whole day sitting and eating outside.
    Wet and wild.

New trampoline built yesterday located to a safe spot in the garden and weighed down with plenty of big stones etc. Thankfully is still where we left it last night!

Advertisement