Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch recommendations up to €2k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

I love them but I really don't like the standard bracelets anymore. I know the watch has its roots in the 90s but the bracelet is very dated looking. Its no surprise that all the best looking ones now don't have that standard bracelet, I.e. the bond edition on mesh which is stunning and basically anything they put on rubber. They're strap monsters really, they look fantastic on NATOs too. I definitely feel they need to freshen things up a bit on it. Get rid of that helium escape valve too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For me anyway "bang for buck" in the 500 quid range means that you can get all sorts of perfectly nice watches that aren't "homages" either. Go used and that choice expands. Even in the vintage realm* if that's your bag, some nice bits and bobs can be had for that budget. And if you buy well you won't lose your shirt if you sell on. Bang for buck can be had in the big money stakes too, as Fitz' Patek demonstrates. He saved a five figure sum buying used and now he's moving it on hasn't lost a cent on the experience.

*though that market is pretty fecked.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I have one. Comfortable and hard wearing. I wear it daily and it looks good under a shirt sleeve in a business environment as much as it looks good with casual clothes. My wife's Dad and her Uncle have one too, amongst a few other watches and both reckons they are the best watches you can get for a bang for buck.

I'd echo what a previous poster said though, they take abuse. I was snorkeling and jumping off the back of a boat on Thursday afternoon and thought nothing of leaving it on my wrist.

I serviced it last year via Omega and it was €500 roughly as I didn't have the option to go anywhere else due to wear I currently live.

I am planning on buying something next year in a similar budget, maybe a grand or two more. I had a datejust on the list but I'm gone off them. This is a good thread.

Username checks out for an Omega :)

Trouble finding one although admittedly I haven't been looking too hard due to stuff going on but I'm determined to get one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭893bet

Username checks out for an Omega :)

Trouble finding one although admittedly I haven't been looking too hard due to stuff going on but I'm determined to get one

Patience is the name of the game. Daily and twice daily checks

I sold two omega in the last 6 months for less than 2.5 k. An Aqua terra and a planet ocean. Value will pop up if you wait and are ready to move fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

893bet wrote: »
    Patience is the name of the game. Daily and twice daily checks

I sold two omega in the last 6 months for less than 2.5 k. An Aqua terra and a planet ocean. Value will pop up if you wait and are ready to move fast.

This is true, but on the buyer end you need to move fast when you identify a bargain. Be ready to move, dont faff about as the seller of a bargain will usually have 2 or 3 interested parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jacob13

Fitz II wrote: »
    If you get into watches you will learn that there are people out there that love all sorts. Jodi's channel is mainly focused on low tier homage and cheap watches (I watch all his vids as I think his personality is great, the watches he reviews are not my cup of tea). But everyone is telling you what you want to hear. Youtube is serving you up echo chamber content.

These Pagani watches aand Benyar watches are tempting but at the end of the day they are worthless. I did a review on a Benyar watch I will link below.

100% I love jody as you said its his personality aswell. I could nearly watch close ups of any watches , cheap or expensive all day. Regarding pagani, tempting alright but I don't know how long they'd last. Atm I've 6 watches. Cheapest being a lorus then up to a longines and a North flag. Im saving for a omega seamaster atm as a watch I can pass on to my son. Il take a look at your vid bud .cheers.

Jacob13 wrote: »
    100% I love jody as you said its his personality aswell. I could nearly watch close ups of any watches , cheap or expensive all day. Regarding pagani, tempting alright but I don't know how long they'd last. Atm I've 6 watches. Cheapest being a lorus then up to a longines and a North flag. Im saving for a omega seamaster atm as a watch I can pass on to my son. Il take a look at your vid bud .cheers.

Which omega model you looking at out of curiosity?

Is 2900 euro too expensive for a 2531.80, very good condition, original box and papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is 2900 euro too expensive for a 2531.80, very good condition, original box and papers?

Keep an eye on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114797276074
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/154445751105

Based on the US buy it now price, I'd say 2900 is too high.
    The UK auction one could go for closer to 2k than 3k aswell IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Yeah I’d say that’s over the odds - link? I would be topping out at €2.5 for a good one

• Advertisement

david wrote: »
    Yeah I’d say that’s over the odds - link? I would be topping out at €2.5 for a good one

Omega Seamaster Diver 300 M
    €2,850
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/seamaster-professional-diver-300m--id19047036.htm?SETLANG=en_GB&SETCURR=EUR

I'm not sure what the blackish discolouration on the tritium lume is? Also doesn't look like a full bracelet I'd be asking about spare links.

€2.5k max for a good example. I will say a lot of these dealers will do a better deal if you go to them direct.

I'm not sure what the blackish discolouration on the tritium lume is? Also doesn't look like a full bracelet I'd be asking about spare links.

€2.5k max for a good example. I will say a lot of these dealers will do a better deal if you go to them direct.

Thanks for having a look, the hunt continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

There's a dealer in Powerscourt shopping centre. I was there browsing one day, killing time, and he had loads at the time. Not sure of the name or how expensive he is.

@OMT, a Japanese seller on eBay has one that may interest you up for sale.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/224407668793

There are some on here who buy from Japan and will tell you that they are both very gentle on their watches in general and that they generally are quite harsh on how they grade their items.
    This one is rated at a 6/10 but reading the experience of other buyers it would probably be rated at an 8 or 8.5 by us paddies.
    €1635 obo, leaves plenty of spare cash for a service and polish ;) even if nabbed for customs versus €2900.

I can't remember who shared a guide for yahoo.jp auctions but hopefully they read this post and chime in with more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,726 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Remember to budget for 23% VAT on the cost of the watch plus shipment plus insurance coming from Japan plus the courier admin fee of about €15. So that adds about €400 to the price you pay on chrono24. You will very likely get intercepted.

unkel wrote: »
    Remember to budget for 23% VAT on the cost of the watch plus shipment plus insurance coming from Japan plus the courier admin fee of about €15. So that adds about €400 to the price you pay on chrono24. You will very likely get intercepted.

Very True.
    I had meant to include that Japan would be VAT liable.
    I had factored it into my calculation, the watch from ebay would be just over 2k landed here but forgot to lay it out in my post :(
    With a service and polish from a recent chat to Irish Horologists averaging @€;275.
    The jap watch(and other Japanese sellers) could be a good option for what's usually a better watch including VAT and service costs than is immediately available in EU.

Those pesky Japs, looking after their gear :P

Indeed and I agree with you that €2k landed for a 2531.80 is pretty decent value for money. And these watches are going up in value by about €100 per year I'd say, possibly a bit more

I wouldn't be too hung up about how this watch was looked after though. The Seamaster might not be as robust as the Rolex watches, but it's a tool watch all the same that can take a lot of abuse and is suitable for wearing 24/7 no matter what you do

As Fitz said previously though. As soon as you see a bargain and the watch is good, you need to be able to buy immediately. Should always the mantra for the bargain hunter. If you even start thinking about where you are going to get the money from, or move some from one bank account to another, you will be likely be too late and the watch would have been bought by a superior bargain hunter :p

Indeed and I agree with you that €2k landed for a 2531.80 is pretty decent value for money. And these watches are going up in value by about €100 per year I'd say, possibly a bit more

I wouldn't be too hung up about how this watch was looked after though. The Seamaster might not be as robust as the Rolex watches, but it's a tool watch all the same that can take a lot of abuse and is suitable for wearing 24/7 no matter what you do

As Fitz said previously though. As soon as you see a bargain and the watch is good, you need to be able to buy immediately. Should always the mantra for the bargain hunter. If you even start thinking about where you are going to get the money from, or move some from one bank account to another, you will be likely be too late and the watch would have been bought by a superior bargain hunter :p

So the seller is looking for nearly 2000usd, could I be cheeky and make an offer below this? What price point would you suggest? :)

So the seller is looking for nearly 2000usd, could I be cheeky and make an offer below this? What price point would you suggest? :)

The seller is looking for that or best offer.
    He has it priced very competitively IMO.
    My strategy would be the message him before any offer, ask questions particularly regarding the "completeness" of the set and condition of crystal and if it's a full bracelet.
    If it's a complete set in as good a condition it appears, I'd be minded to take the advice offered by Fitz and others that you move on a bargain and in fairness the Jap watch does appear to be just that.

You have gone from looking for the watch under 2k, to stretching your budget if it gets you the Seamster to now seeking a strategy to lowball the 2k Omega.
    That sounds harsh, I know and it's honestly not meant to be, watches can very quickly get under your skin and drive you mad.

But you were considering a fullset for 2.9k, this if it is indeed a fullset is 2k landed.
    Trying to lowball on a watch that is what you want for 900 less seems to be a contradiction.

You can always throw him in an offer at whatever you feel it's worth.
    The worst that can happen is that he says no, and he might well come back with a counteroffer.

Whatever happens, good luck in the hunt and I really hope you get the one you want at a price you're happy with.
    It's a great feeling, (sad as that sounds).

• Advertisement

You did read the condition of the watch?

"[Case] overall : many light scratches / slight dull [Belt] overal l : many light scratches / slightly darkened surface : light dirt marks back side "

Wouldn't bother me personally, but I'd say most people spending thousands on a watch want it to be as near to new as possible. This watch is what people in the business call "well used" :D

banie01 wrote: »
    The seller is looking for that or best offer.
    He has it priced very competitively IMO.
    My strategy would be the message him before any offer, ask questions particularly regarding the "completeness" of the set and condition of crystal and if it's a full bracelet.
    If it's a complete set in as good a condition it appears, I'd be minded to take the advice offered by Fitz and others that you move on a bargain and in fairness the Jap watch does appear to be just that.

You have gone from looking for the watch under 2k, to stretching your budget if it gets you the Seamster to now seeking a strategy to lowball the 2k Omega.
    That sounds harsh, I know and it's honestly not meant to be, watches can very quickly get under your skin and drive you mad.

But you were considering a fullset for 2.9k, this if it is indeed a fullset is 2k landed.
    Trying to lowball on a watch that is what you want for 900 less seems to be a contradiction.

You can always throw him in an offer at whatever you feel it's worth.
    The worst that can happen is that he says no, and he might well come back with a counteroffer.

Whatever happens, good luck in the hunt and I really hope you get the one you want at a price you're happy with.
    It's a great feeling, (sad as that sounds).

I'll message him now, thanks Banie!

You did read the condition of the watch?

"[Case] overall : many light scratches / slight dull [Belt] overal l : many light scratches / slightly darkened surface : light dirt marks back side "

Wouldn't bother me personally, but I'd say most people spending thousands on a watch want it to be as near to new as possible. This watch is what people in the business call "well used" :D

Agree that it wouldn't bother me too much, and as I mentioned with the money saved.
    A service and a polish could very, very likely give a great looking piece.
    The general honesty of Japanese sellers in their descriptions really is to be admired.
    What would be called a swirl, or a desk dive here really is highlighted and pointed out individually.
    Where as here, it'd be called obvious signs of year for a 15yo watch.

They really price the stated condition into their descriptions too.

It states 17cm circumference = missing links

It states 17cm circumference = missing links

Damn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Those links are easy to source and inexpensive.

Just to make sure the buyer realises what he is getting. If you price in the service / polish and the import duties, it's not that cheap any more. Personally if I were to spend €2.3-2.4k, I'd want a better one

I've owned 2 seamasters over the last 4 years. The first one an automatic, that was a bit rough like the above watch (mine also had a large scratch on the bezel), but I got it very cheaply (€975). Didn't bother me, I wore it every day for 3 years. My current one is quartz, but it is in near perfect condition. That one cost me a lot more. I rarely wear it.

Also the bracelet should be good for a very large wrist. I am 7.6" and I still have a spare link. So suits wrists over 8". You can buy the links on eBay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Making a similar decision myself soon for a big birthday. Anyone have thoughts on a Rado Captain Cook?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

If anyone see's a (put your fingers in your ears Wibbs) 3 dial chorno Seamaster like this one going again can you ping me. Looking for a blue one.

https://www.adverts.ie/sports/omega-seamaster-chronograph/23595992

Might be tempted for a non chrono too, if anyone in this parish is considering :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Always keep in mind that you won't be wearing the few quid that you saved on your wrist.

Items have a value, the trade off for cheap is a higher level of caveat emptor.

For a first decent watch purchase I would look more locally and prioritise quality over cost.

Advertisement