Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

39 off 16.
    Started very well, 23 on the front. But game went then, really struggled with all clubs bar putter on back 9. Surprised i managed to get 16 pts. Chipping is brutal, so bad I used a putter on 17th from 40 yards out :eek:

Inter club practice starting this week so that should help sharpen the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

First round submitted as part of handicap process Saturday. Shot 93 which I was ok with but a lot of really stupid shots dropped, couple of 3 putts and fluffed chips were frustrating. Lost 4 balls, 3 off the tee and one of which was on a par 3 which is really not good. My driver was all over the place generally with a two way miss at times. I hadn't sliced a ball off the tee since we got back golfing but I had 2/3 wild slices today which was both annoying and confusing. Positives were my irons were going pretty well, didn't hit many GIR due to poor driving but was almost always up there around the green so had chances for par on most holes.

Long way to go but hoping to be able to break 90 fairly regularly by the end of the year and look at trying to break 80 next year if I can manage that.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Played three rounds since we've come back. All in Silloge, I'm not a member anywhere and it's a public course. It's not a difficult course and it's fairly forgiving. My goal this year was to consistently shot under 100.

So far I've shot 99, 95 and 92 so I'm making great progress. 44 points in my last round, 27 of those on the back nine. I had been playing off 29 but a friend suggested I drop to 25 and see how that goes. Playing again this coming Friday so hopefully more improvement.

I am a little concerned that I'm only really playing an easy enough course but it's all about improving the swing and fundamentals for now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

25 points on Saturday. 18 on the front 9, 7 on the back. Absolutely fell apart after playing some good golf. Long irons are killing me.

Gonna try get a lesson this week, then spend some time on the range to try and figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Played three rounds since we've come back. All in Silloge, I'm not a member anywhere and it's a public course. It's not a difficult course and it's fairly forgiving. My goal this year was to consistently shot under 100.

So far I've shot 99, 95 and 92 so I'm making great progress. 44 points in my last round, 27 of those on the back nine. I had been playing off 29 but a friend suggested I drop to 25 and see how that goes. Playing again this coming Friday so hopefully more improvement.

I am a little concerned that I'm only really playing an easy enough course but it's all about improving the swing and fundamentals for now

Why don't you just keep track of your scores and use the new handicap system to calculate a handicap for yourself? You don't have to do it exactly, I wouldn't bother overcomplicating it to be honest. But after 3 rounds I think you take your lowest score and use that as your handicap. So if it was +20, give yourself a handicap of 20. The more rounds you play, you'll use the average of your lowest x amount of rounds. I think after 4 it's the average of your lowest 2 rounds minus one. You can look up the table.

There are adjustments for the course you're playing and conditions and format, but don't overcomplicate it for yourself. Although it might be worth adjusting any huge scores to a triple bogey, just so you don't have a 12 giving you an extra couple of shots on your handicap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Second round after a lesson, working more on having the club face closed on the downswing to encourage me to rotate more and stop me flipping the club.

Last week I had 26pts for 15 holes. Played all sorts of rubbish, didnt hit one fairway. Was OB twice, couldnt get the speed of the greens or hole a putt. Expected after a lesson i suppose when the feel is completely different.

Saturday was the complete opposite on the greens, and approach play was improved a lot and chipping was fantastic.
    6/14 FIR
    6/18 GIR
    27 Putts
    75(+4) off nine.

Delighted with how i played, iron shots felt so much solider and pure.
    Need to work on the swing changes from the lesson more this week. I know this could be a lucky round and not too much to do with the lesson because its probably the 27 putts that got me the good round, but im feeling positive of beating my PB which is 74(+3) this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

30 points yesterday.

15 front
    15 back

Poor course management on a few holes led to scratches.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

blue note wrote: »
    Why don't you just keep track of your scores and use the new handicap system to calculate a handicap for yourself? You don't have to do it exactly, I wouldn't bother overcomplicating it to be honest. But after 3 rounds I think you take your lowest score and use that as your handicap. So if it was +20, give yourself a handicap of 20. The more rounds you play, you'll use the average of your lowest x amount of rounds. I think after 4 it's the average of your lowest 2 rounds minus one. You can look up the table.

There are adjustments for the course you're playing and conditions and format, but don't overcomplicate it for yourself. Although it might be worth adjusting any huge scores to a triple bogey, just so you don't have a 12 giving you an extra couple of shots on your handicap.

I reckon I'll play a couple more rounds and then pop it into some sort of calculator and see what comes out. Cheers for the advice though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

30 points yesterday. 13/17.

Running theme since coming back.

Putting & short game - Great
    Driver & Woods - Ok
    Irons - Ball goes backwards

Just can't get the irons fixed, have had a few lessons and have been hitting the range a lot but it's just not getting any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

38 points off 17. Could've been a lot more but I scratched the first and last holes due to terrible chipping, also missed 3 shorts putts. Holed out from 100 yards on index 1 for a birdie which was nice. Game is in good shape and mostly consistent, hoping to get down to 14/15 by end of the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

28pts off 22, 104 strokes, aiming to break 90 by end of year.. home course Enniscrone so a tough enough run for high HC like me.. scratched 3, but made the 4 hardest holes work for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played 5 holes tonight, lost 5 balls.
    • Started on the 10th, sliced it onto the 9th fairway. Lost a ball on the 2nd shot trying to get back into play.
    • Onto the 11th hole, sliced it onto the 9th fairway. Lost a ball on the 2nd shot trying to get back into play. Also lost my 2nd ball after shanking it over the green.
    • 12th hole, sliced it onto the 15th fairway. Lost a ball on the 2nd shot trying to get back into play.
    • Skipped to 15 as there was a 4 ball on 13, sliced my drive onto the 12th hole and couldn't find the drive.
    • Called it then, but played the 18th hole as its on the way back, stuck it to 8 feet with my 5 iron, 2 putt for par.

Got a 99 on the way home though, so it wasn't all bad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Kiith wrote: »
    Played 5 holes tonight, lost 5 balls.
    • Started on the 10th, sliced it onto the 9th fairway. Lost a ball on the 2nd shot trying to get back into play.
    • Onto the 11th hole, sliced it onto the 9th fairway. Lost a ball on the 2nd shot trying to get back into play. Also lost my 2nd ball after shanking it over the green.
    • 12th hole, sliced it onto the 15th fairway. Lost a ball on the 2nd shot trying to get back into play.
    • Skipped to 15 as there was a 4 ball on 13, sliced my drive onto the 12th hole and couldn't find the drive.
    • Called it then, but played the 18th hole as its on the way back, stuck it to 8 feet with my 5 iron, 2 putt for par.

Got a 99 on the way home though, so it wasn't all bad :pac:

Sounds exactly like my Monday evening. Started on ten but came in after the fourteenth. Lost six balls and topped every shot I took. Game has gone to pieces and it’s ruining my enjoyment of golf. Had been doing a bit of practice on the range but it’s like I’ve never played golf before it’s that bad. Booked lessons straight after coming back in so hopefully it will help and get me back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Played 9 holes. 5 pars, 3 bogeys and 1double bogey. Glad I didn't enter comp and only played the 9.
    50points off 22 won and 46 off 25 was second. Eeeeek

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Shot +6 gross last night and bogeyed the last 5 in a row. :(

In the good old days before WHS that would have got me a nice 0.6 cut...but i had a 78 dropping out so instead i got cut 0.1

The joys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

28 points off 11 yesterday.

Five 3 putts and lots wasted around the green.

Driver also a bit wayward which is usually my strong point.

On the positive side I had 5 pars a nice birdie 2 which will bring me back tomorrow.

It's the hope that kills ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

32pts off 19 in wet conditions. Iffy front 9 with 14pts but started hitting the ball better and played to my hc on the back 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭elvisn

Played my first round on Saturday since before the shutdown.

Just couldn't get it all together, but my putting was consistently terrible. Was getting to the green in regulation more than not and on a few even got there with a shot to spare, averaged 3 putts per hole and finished 26 over par! On a par 3 off the tee box I was about 2 foot from the hole the whole walk down I was grinning, 3 putts! It was great fun. Can't wait to get back out there and try get a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I hit the range on Wednesday. In my last round I was shanking it, coming up short and hitting big dirty slices in my last round. This was corrected after hitting a ball into someone's garden on 16th when my playing partner told me I wasn't rotating. I finished with two textbook holes, 3/3 perfect strikes and two two putts. Could this form continue to the range.....?

Yes is the short answer. I hit 50 balls. No shanks. Just one bad slice and a couple of shots that would have been pulled into possible trouble on the course. But 90% were long and straight. With my handicap, if I struck it like that on the course, I'd be disappointed to come in with 40 points.

Now that that good golf is out of my system, I'll have to get back onto the course and include vocal exercises in my pre round warm up routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

Coming into matchplay season for me. Club matchplay game this weekend then its into the interclub stuff.

Went out twice this week in prep. Didn't play 18 so didn't track scores.

Monday I was stiff, wasn't rotating through the ball, quite sluggish with my swing and getting a bit wristy. Putted like an absolute god though, Rolled in 3 putts from down town and had no 3 putts over 13 holes

Wednesday I was much freer, hit the ball super well. Was GIR on 60% of the holes played. Do you think I could putt the ball? Lag putting was terrible, missed everything outside of 4 feet. Was playing match play vs regular playing partner. He was 5 holes up on me by the time we got to 13.

Golf... mad sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

39 points off 11 today.

18 out including a scratch..21 back.

An improvement of 11 shots on Wednesday's round.

Cut 0.6 off the WHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

31(13/18) points off 16. First proper competition off the back tees and tricky pins on most greens. Only 1 scratched hole but lots of double bogeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Don't have a handicap yet but for curiosity I gave myself a 12 handicap today playing the front 9. Shot 43 which would have been 16 points. I hope to get down to around 12 by the end of the summer so a decent gauge of where I need to get to. Drove the ball well, missed 1 fairway just barely and had 1 wild one that sliced left and lost. Hit some good shots and some bad ones but happy enough with it. Just need to get a handicap now so I can enter the competitions and really test where I'm at.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dconnolly81

Played Wednesday evening after work and i couldnt hit the ball out of my way. Duffed about 7 or 8 chips around the green finished with 28 points off 8.9 comp handicap is 10.
    Played this morning went to the chipping green for nearly an hour before my round to sort it out - it worked i finished with 35 points just couldnt putt 🀯🀯 striking the ball so well so happy out with that. But on a positive note the 35 points will finally get me to single figures 1st time ever delighted

Poor start today 3 points in first 6 holes, finished with 31pts off 23. Couldn't get the ball in the air for first few holes and putting was awful steadied the ship with a par on 7th and was 1 under for next five holes. Feels like there is a good round there just need to keep it together early on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Solid round today in lovely weather. 35 points, 83 strokes. Was steady most of the way round. No scratches which was good, but a couple of pretty poor holes that I managed to salvage something from.

15 out, 20 back. Unfortunately was non qualifying, with placing everywhere. Shocking stuff this late into the year. Would have likely been 1 to add as a qualifying score for me, so a pity in the end. Was probably unnecessary too, couple of very soft patches way offline but the place was firm enough in general

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

91 strokes from the tips.
    Duck hooked my way around and couldn't stop it.
    Was playing with team captain and more than likely played my way off any team after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Shot 93 yesterday morning for 31 points.

2 pars
    10 bogeys
    4 doubles
    1 triple

Only having 1x triple or worse I believe is a first :). Some pretty obvious lost shots:

- Thinned into the face of a fairway bunker as I was trying to escape rather than go for the green.
    - OB off the tee on the same Par 4 as last week (absolute nemesis hole every week). I think I'll hit hybrid, hybrid here for the foreseeable.
    - Topped a tee shot about 60 yards followed by a 50-yard chunk on a par 4.
    - Chunked my 50-yard pitch on the last and then nearly hit it that far past the hole afterward.

I know I appear a bit whingy listing these shots but I'm actually very satisfied to follow up my best round (90) last with my 2nd best round. Re-assuring to see the progress.

Have a feeling I'm going to break 90 pretty soon. Just a little more mental focus and course management should see me there (that nemesis par 4 is leaking 2 or 3 shots most weeks). Edit to say my WHS hc is now starting to balance out. Went from 13.6 to 14.6 after this. I expect it to settle around 15-16, giving me a course hc of 17-18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

9 holes friday evening in damp/drizzling conditions.

1 birdie
    7 pars
    1 scratch - lost ball

21 points.

Best 9 since returning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

34pts yesterday was going well but ran out steam. Some horrible swings from 16 onwards.

1 birdie
    4 pars
    8 bogeys
    4 doubles
    1 scratch

Advertisement