Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera Euro Rapid Online Tournament (Champions Chess Tour)

• 06-02-2021 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭

Rounds 1-5 of the Round Robin just started at 16:00 Irish Time. Some new faces in the Champions Tour for this round.

Format is 15+10 Rapid for the Round Robin, Top 8 of 16 qualify for the KO rounds.

cRXysAP.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Chess24 Coverage with D. Howell and J. Houska

Chess24 Coverage with P. Leko & T. Sachdev

Personally I find Peter Leko to be the best of the regular chess commentators. I enjoyed Jan, Larry Trent and Peter's commentary on the Tata Steel Masters! Tania Sachdev's accent is intensely irritating however!

Current Standings as the first games of RD 2 conclude:

wKuWZO1.png

Round 2 Results

Magnus 1-0 Levon
    MVL 1-0 So
    Hikaru 0.5-0.5 Duda
    Vidit 1-0 Domingez
    Radjabov 1-0 Shankland
    Nepo 1-0 Grischuk
    Dubov 0.5-0.5 Giri
    Ding 0.5-0.5 Bluebaum

Magnus went on a bit of a rampage, dropped the first game to Wesley So and then beat Levon Aronian and Sam Shankland with White, and also Dominguez and Bluebaum with Black to end the day on 4/5, Nepo also had a good day ending up on 3.5/5, along with Wesley So.

OdSN2kt.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Inquitus wrote: »

Personally I find Peter Leko to be the best of the regular chess commentators. I enjoyed Jan, Larry Trent and Peter's commentary on the Tata Steel Masters! Tania Sachdev's accent is intensely irritating however!
    I agree 100% about the commentators. My dog buries his head under a pillow or howls every time he hears squeaky Tania. Peter Svidler is another excellent commentator as is Jovanka Houska but David Howell is awful.

Links for today's commentary, starts at 16:00 Irish. Poor Ding Liren is playing from midnight to 5am! Another 5 Rounds of Round Robin today, followed by the same tomorrow which will bring the prelims to their conclusion and the top 8 will go into the KO Rounds.

Chess24 Coverage with D. Howell and J. Houska

Chess24 Coverage with P. Leko & T. Sachdev

• Advertisement

Magnus v Hikaru, Peter Leko spots the massive blunder before Hikaru plays it. Hikaru probably guilty of trying to force Magnus's clock instead of taking the time he had to consider his options.

Semi Finalists determined today.

Magnus Carlsen v Maxime Vachier Legrave
    Wesley So v Teimour Radjabov

Magnus flagged Dubov in the Armagedon game, Wesley won in regulation, and Teimour won in the blitz playoff!

Magnus takes down MVL in the first minigame on Day 1 of the Semi-Finals 2.5-0.5

Wesley So leads Radjabov 2-1 with game 4 looking like it's heading for a draw giving So the Day 1 lead!

Final and 3rd Place playoff Day 1

Magnus 2-2 So

Magnus won with Black in the 2nd game, drew a quick white game with the intention to hold with Black in the final game and lost.

MVL 2-2 Radjabov

MVL won with white to tie the match in the penultimate game and drew with the Black pieces in the final game to ensure both mini matches were tied going into Day 2 on Sunday!

Games available for analysis here

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

sodacat11 wrote: »
    I agree 100% about the commentators. My dog buries his head under a pillow or howls every time he hears squeaky Tania. Peter Svidler is another excellent commentator as is Jovanka Houska but David Howell is awful.

Leko is the master, his English not perfect either but he sees every position brilliantly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement