Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So that's three flights involving 72 players so far, including a flight from Dubai which has most of the qualifiers. Also:

https://twitter.com/reid_butler9/status/1350648880015106054

And here's Kuznetsova and Yastremska (who's supposed to be banned?) on the flight over. I mean..

https://twitter.com/MSMWatchdog2013/status/1350673185369296899

Saw some mention of trying to create a 'bubble within a bubble' for the quarantined players. Messy start to the season, to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Not a great lead in into the tournament, looks like it could have been handled better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Weren't all these flights chartered by the Australian Open to get the players to the tournament so that the players wouldn't be traveling on regular flights?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Floppybits wrote: »
    Weren't all these flights chartered by the Australian Open to get the players to the tournament so that the players wouldn't be traveling on regular flights?

Yep, that's what happened I think. Unless some private flights were allowed?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They had chartered 15 planes to ferry everyone in. Thats why Aussies world wide are going mad. They want to get home and can't.
    If this keeps up they'll be going straight to finals.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

@yeronethere.

Your man sinner is Italian but from same place as Seppi where its culturally closer to German way of life.

Lot of insinuations about djoko, I meant djoko as a retriever. Though djoko never misses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So that's three flights involving 72 players so far, including a flight from Dubai which has most of the qualifiers. Also:

https://twitter.com/reid_butler9/status/1350648880015106054

And here's Kuznetsova and Yastremska (who's supposed to be banned?) on the flight over. I mean..

https://twitter.com/MSMWatchdog2013/status/1350673185369296899

Saw some mention of trying to create a 'bubble within a bubble' for the quarantined players. Messy start to the season, to say the least!

Little stasi curtain twitcher, they expect people to be muzzled for an 18 hr flight ??

edit - im referring to the twitter user here...

The Australians are not happy with this moaning tennis players and now Djokovic issuing a list of demands. Tomic's girlfriend is either thick or is just winding people up for a laugh.

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1351064435654324226?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

After the debacle that was his tournament last summer djokovic should really just zip it on this occasion. Walking pr disaster zone that fella!

After the debacle that was his tournament last summer djokovic should really just zip it on this occasion. Walking pr disaster zone that fella!

And he wonder's why he isn't as popular as Federer or Nadal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think this is just stupid journalism trying to get a few likes from readers who should know better.
    On the RTE website they say that it was "reportedly" a list of demands and then in the next sentence, refer to it as a request. Big difference, which is it?
    "World number one Novak Djokovic - who arrived on a virus-free flight and is being allowed to train in a bio-secure bubble - reportedly sent a list of demands to tournament organisers that included allowing players to move to private homes with tennis courts.
    Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews rejected that request,"
    As one of the big 3, he should be speaking out and trying to improve the conditions for other tennis players, not keeping his mouth shut.
    Many of the players quarantined for 2 weeks are from the qualifiers and any requests/demands from them would be flatly ignored.
    Hopefully we will see Nadal and Federer also try to improve the conditions for these other players.

2 weeks confined to a hotel room is not fun, either physically or psychologically.
    Especially for a top level sports person preparing for one of the major sporting events of their calendar.

josip wrote: »
    I think this is just stupid journalism trying to get a few likes from readers who should know better.
    On the RTE website they say that it was "reportedly" a list of demands and then in the next sentence, refer to it as a request. Big difference, which is it?

As one of the big 3, he should be speaking out and trying to improve the conditions for other tennis players, not keeping his mouth shut.
    Many of the players quarantined for 2 weeks are from the qualifiers and any requests/demands from them would be flatly ignored.
    Hopefully we will see Nadal and Federer also try to improve the conditions for these other players.

2 weeks confined to a hotel room is not fun, either physically or psychologically.
    Especially for a top level sports person preparing for one of the major sporting events of their calendar.

Yeah but... it's a global pandemic. Many thousands of Australians are stranded abroad and would to be in Djokovic's position. So he can kindly stfu.

Yeah but... it's a global pandemic. Many thousands of Australians are stranded abroad and would to be in Djokovic's position. So he can kindly stfu.

That's a bit harsh, he's not asking for things for himself; he wasn't affected.
    He's asking for other players.
    It's not Djokovic's or the other players' fault that there are Australians abroad who can't get home.
    That's a decision made by the Australian government.
    The same government that decided they wanted Melbourne to go ahead; they could have cancelled like Wimbledon did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

josip wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh, he's not asking for things for himself; he wasn't affected.
    He's asking for other players.
    It's not Djokovic's or the other players' fault that there are Australians abroad who can't get home.
    That's a decision made by the Australian government.
    The same government that decided they wanted Melbourne to go ahead; they could have cancelled like Wimbledon did last year.

have to agree with most of the above.
    Djokovic isn't responsible for ex PAT Austrailians. He does seem to want to chime in on the conditions of professional tennis players (per his involvement in the new players council, which while its potential usefulness can be argued either way at the moment but hey, hes trying something).

in hindsight, the tournament should probably not have gone ahead, i'm not sure how 14 days in a hotel room can prepare one for professional sport of any sort (chess or darts excluded maybe)

there is going to be a rolling wave of positivie tests, reports of someone sticking their head out a window, players getting cabin fever, and there is also the whole issue of some players being in lockdown in Victoria while a load of others (inc Djokovic) are able to get some fresh air in Adelaide.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/tennis/djokovics-mask-slips-again-in-australian-open-gaffe-39983906.html

great article from the telegraph that the independent published. real tongue in cheek. i enjoyed it as im no fan of djokovic. kyrios summed it up well at the end of the article.

I'm a fan of Djokovic :) so I think he was dead right to ask for better conditions, even if it was unlikely some of them were going to be allowed.
    I think he was an idiot hosting the tournament last year and for his opinion on vaccines.

Equally good article in the BBC today.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/55730099

Would it have been so difficult for the Australians to quarantine them in a hotel without mice and where you could open the windows?
    But the Aussies are implying it's the players' fault for feeding the mice.

Some of the meals they are being supplied with looks like school cafeteria stuff.

In fairness Kyrios calling anyone a tool is the height of irony.

I will give Djokovic one thing - he actually speaks out and is no hotel mouse :D

As said above - goofy idea and worse execution on "his" tournament last year and would not agree with him about vaccines but no harm in voicing his opinion here

The Aussies get very defensive and "patriotic" about any criticism that comes their way.

They could have done some better planning for eventualities I think.

Melbourne presses pause on play for a day due to a covid case in a hotel. I really hope the Slam, when it starts, dosen't decend into a mess.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

lostcat wrote: »
    Melbourne presses pause on play for a day due to a covid case in a hotel. I really hope the Slam, when it starts, dosen't decend into a mess.

I think that horse has bolted. I really don't know how the Australian government is allowing this to go on. 30,000 visitors a day? I don't see it ending well.

• Advertisement

Play will resume tomorrow but with the WTA matches playing a tiebreaker to ten instead of a deciding set. Feels like the WTA matches are reduced to a glorified exhibition, although maybe they aren't exactly complaining given the Australian Open is still starting on Monday?

Curious about if something similar happens next week? Will they shut down the tournament again for a day or two? Wouldn't be the worst thing I guess, but I really hope they don't go down the road of playing shorter matches to get the tournament done. Imagine the asterisking and debates that'd cause in the future! Also I know there's scheduled tournaments the week after the Australian Open but frankly I don't care too much about them, prioritise the grand slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Read somewhere else there is heavy rain forecast for Melbourne tomorrow. Maybe they've factored that into the equation? Cant see them shortening matches for a GS, hope not anyway.

... but I really hope they don't go down the road of playing shorter matches to get the tournament done. Imagine the asterisking and debates that'd cause in the future! ....

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with the men playing best of three, at least until the quarters say, if it helped things stay on track. Theres no way most of the players can be match fit for a 5 setter. If its agreed before the tournament starts I cant see it being 'less valid' in the history books..

Same goes for the women re. fittness, but I can't see it being reasonable to shorten their matches to less than best of three.

lostcat wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't have a problem with the men playing best of three, at least until the quarters say, if it helped things stay on track. Theres no way most of the players can be match fit for a 5 setter. If its agreed before the tournament starts I cant see it being 'less valid' in the history books..

Same goes for the women re. fittness, but I can't see it being reasonable to shorten their matches to less than best of three.

I think they'd be reluctant to do that just in case people like the format too much and there'll be calls for it to be a permanent change! It's already something that seems to have got a bit of traction in recent years.

I wouldn't mind if they did that this week though. Tbh I rarely watch 5 set matches in the earlier stages of a grand slam, particularly when it's a top player beating an unseeded player 6-2 6-2 6-1 or something, I think they're an awful slog. QF's onwards is where I'll start paying attention.

These tournaments in Melbourne turning into a bit of a farce. Osaka, Serena and Azarenka have all withdrawn from their respective draws, and the Grampians Trophy has now cancelled the final due to the delay in the schedule. Probably something of a blessing in disguise for the players really, it is after all the Australian Open that they're prioritising and these are extraordinary times.

Muguruza and Barty are still contesting their final as things stand, with Muguruza also scheduled to play her round 1 on Monday.

I had fancied Sinner to do some damage in Melbourne but...

https://twitter.com/josemorgado/status/1357976390520479745

Then again he's young, fit and possibly the next big thing so maybe it'll be no bother to him!

FAA is into his seventh final, has yet to win a title, hopefully he can finally get over the line against Dan Evans.

Dan Evans beats FAA to win his first ever title at age 30. FAA now 0-7 in finals, but got to think at age 20 time is on his side so I'm sure he'll win one before long.

Sinner wins his second consecutive title title and still only 19, hope he's not too drained for the fortnight ahead. Not an easy draw, Shapovalov in the first round, FAA in the third, Schwartzman in the fourth and a possible QF with Thiem. Meanwhile, here's a stat:

https://twitter.com/josemorgado/status/1358308824831164419

Not too bad is right!

Meanwhile, Barty wins the Yarra Valley trophy after almost a year out. With a very favourable draw I'd be surprised if she didn't make at least the QF's at the Open.

Regardless of happens in Melbourne tomorrow, on Monday Djokovic will join Federer on 310 weeks at #1.

Lots of good tennis to look forward to over the next month. On the WTA side there's decent fields in Adelaide, Doha, Dubai and then of course Miami at the end of March. On the ATP side there's an incredibly strong field in Rotterdam starting 1st of March, followed by Federer's return after a year out in Doha. Federer also plans on playing Dubai the week after and I'm assuming Miami at the end of the month if all goes well.

• Advertisement

Murray loses 76 61 to Gerasimov in the first round of Montpellier. Tbh I didn't even realise he was playing. Lost in the SF's of a challenger to Marchenko a couple of weeks back also. Not even sure what Murray's aims are going forward but at the very least I hope he can get some run of results going. Sinner also lost in the first round to Bedene. So we went from a possible Murray-Sinner match to Bedene-Gerasimov!

Lot of people withdrawing from Doha on the WTA side, including Andreescu and Barty. Both say they're aiming for Miami returns. In a way I can maybe understand Barty withdrawing as she's played three tournaments in a row, plus she has to ask herself is it worth flying to the Middle East if she'll have to quarantine for two weeks on her return. Andreescu though, you'd think she'd be trying to get as many matches as possible after 16 months out of the game. She withdrew from Adelaide, Doha and Dubai.

I'm intrigued by Swiatek, currently through to the Adelaide QF's. Came into Australia very under the radar in spite of her RG win and had a very decent tournament. Curious to see if she'll keep the momentum going.

Advertisement