Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

ClanofLams wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1347513326025252865?s=21

Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Ben O’Donnell into side. Heffernan Paul Boyle and Marmion strengthen bench. Along with Thornbury there is a fair impact there.

More optimistic after seeing teams named, hope for decent conditions and should be a good game.

Sob back in too, will expect a big impact from him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Sob back in too, will expect a big impact from him

Yeah it would be great to see him get a bit of luck and a clean run of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Two strong squads in fairness - conditions set to be ideal (assuming the pitch isn't frozen!), so fingers crossed we get off to a good start. I feel like Jack in particular needs to start well and we could be in for a belter. Hon Connacht.

PS: it says a lot about the form of our centers that we're not completely devastated by Bundee and Tom being unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Blade v Marmion
    Has Blade improved his game and/or Marmion not playing as well as he was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Blade v Marmion

Marmion's injury took him a while to fully recover from and Blade improve significantly within that window. Blade has been the better of the two (Marmion is excellent btw) since 2018 imo.

• Advertisement

Wootton, Arnold and Oliver will be wanting to put in big performances against their old teammates. Fingers crossed for a dry night also and we get to see some 7's flair from Porch and O'Donnell.

Blade v Marmion

I think Marmion is still no.1, presumably by a very narrow margin, certainly it would seem to be me he has generally gotten the selection when both available.

He pulled out of the squad on match day last week, not sure if it was injury or illness, but Blade obviously had a stormer, especially in the first half i thought so would be very harsh not to go with him tomorrow but would expect to see Marmion on relatively early in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not sure about management but Blade has overtaken Marmion now for me. If he keeps this up it's hard not to see how Ireland don't involve him.

That's not to say that Marmion is poor or playing badly at all - he's just suffered from lack of game time through injury or being with Ireland while Blade has steadily continued to improve with game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Marmion's injury took him a while to fully recover from and Blade improve significantly within that window. Blade has been the better of the two (Marmion is excellent btw) since 2018 imo.

From an outsider looking in I thought Blade started playing excellent stuff near the end of 2019.
    I think that was around the time that Marmion was just back from that injury.

Marmion started back well there in August though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Delighted for Sean Masterson. Delighted for Daly and Arnold at centre. Delighted for Caolin. Delighted for Delahunt. Form is being rewarded. And the bench isn't shabby either. But like any Connacht supporter you are left wondering what Connacht team will turn up. It was much the same when we faced Leinster. Leinster had a lot of novices last week but you were never certain that Connacht would prevail.

Are we so damaged that we end up each week wondering what is going to happen? On an interesting note I suspect many will remember back to the years when opposition intercepted a pass and ran the length of the field. These days it's Connacht are doing it to their opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Delighted for Sean Masterson. Delighted for Daly and Arnold at centre. Delighted for Caolin. Delighted for Delahunt. Form is being rewarded. And the bench isn't shabby either. But like any Connacht supporter you are left wondering what Connacht team will turn up. It was much the same when we faced Leinster. Leinster had a lot of novices last week but you were never certain that Connacht would prevail.

Are we so damaged that we end up each week wondering what is going to happen? On an interesting note I suspect many will remember back to the years when opposition intercepted a pass and ran the length of the field. These days it's Connacht are doing it to their opposition.

Agreed, I think Andy Friend has been consistent in rewarding form throughout his tenure. Only outlier is SOB coming in for Masterson, but he has enough credit in the bank to deserve a shot plus maybe Masterson is injured or fatigued.

I do think Connacht fans are right to be wary, we are becoming almost Francophilic in our inconsistency - "you never know which Connacht team will show up." For every big performance over the past few years there has been an equally grim outing against a Welsh or English side.

As for this weekend, I'm more concerned about the quality of performance than the result. Even if we only earn an LBP, it would be encouraging to deliver accurate, disciplined displays in consecutive interpros. Before these three games I probably would have been happy with 6-7 points.

Agreed, I think Andy Friend has been consistent in rewarding form throughout his tenure. Only outlier is SOB coming in for Masterson, but he has enough credit in the bank to deserve a shot plus maybe Masterson is injured or fatigued.

I do think Connacht fans are right to be wary, we are becoming almost Francophilic in our inconsistency - "you never know which Connacht team will show up." For every big performance over the past few years there has been an equally grim outing against a Welsh or English side.

As for this weekend, I'm more concerned about the quality of performance than the result. Even if we only earn an LBP, it would be encouraging to deliver accurate, disciplined displays in consecutive interpros. Before these three games I probably would have been happy with 6-7 points.

You look at Leinster and you see consistent play, consistent methodology, and consistent results. Nothing too amazing and mainly brute force. And I am not knocking that style of game because it provides consistent results.

And I suppose you could call that boring. But there are times you wished Connacht were boring and predictable. Instead it's a matter of what is going to happen this weekend. Will they be brilliant or dreadful. Its head scratching stuff

Looking at the Ulster Leinster game. How is Denis Bucket not ahead of Cian healy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Interestingly from the Leinster Ulster game. Coetzee has gotten a yellow card for high tackle and Andrew Brace has said the change in direction is a mitigating factor. It's not the same level of contact as what happen with papalli but it's interesting to see how different refs view it

Looking at the Ulster Leinster game. How is Denis Bucket not ahead of Cian healy

It's beyond the pail....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Because he's not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Because he's not good enough.

no your wrong their

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Reminds me of last week where toland bigs him up and questions why he's never had more Ireland caps... And Buckley follows that up by giving away a free kick for early engagement followed by a penalty for collapsing.

He's just never been good enough

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

freyners wrote: »
    Interestingly from the Leinster Ulster game. Coetzee has gotten a yellow card for high tackle and Andrew Brace has said the change in direction is a mitigating factor. It's not the same level of contact as what happen with papalli but it's interesting to see how different refs view it

Very little difference in the two incidents for me. Only difference is a ref looking for a mitigating factor to avoid giving a red

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

gally74 wrote: »
    no your wrong their

No, he's not good enough.

In the last few years, we've seen McGrath, Kilcoyne, J Cronin, Ed Byrne, Bealham and EOS all capped at LH. They're all behind Healy, and Buckley is behind all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

In the last few years, we've seen McGrath, Kilcoyne, J Cronin, Ed Byrne, Bealham and EOS all capped at LH. They're all behind Healy, and Buckley is behind all of them.

Bit simplistic.

He was unfortunate not to be capped as an up and comer because Healy and McGrath were in their full pomp.

In 2016 Schmidt name checked him as missing from the south Africa tour due to injury.

He's probably just a bit too old now to bring into the squad as an uncapped player.

He may not be a world beater but he's unfortunate not to be capped.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Reminds me of last week where toland bigs him up and questions why he's never had more Ireland caps... And Buckley follows that up by giving away a free kick for early engagement followed by a penalty for collapsing.

He's just never been good enough

... and he went on to have an excellent game?

Not suggesting he is better than Healy but certainly wouldn't swap Buckley for the majority of those above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Well again worried for 16, 17 and 22, but otherwise a damned good team, who may match Ireland A (Munster full-strenght)

Zzippy wrote: »
    Very little difference in the two incidents for me. Only difference is a ref looking for a mitigating factor to avoid giving a red

Ah the contact and height of the hit was more for me. But some posters who were here saying it was nothing but a red and there was no mitigation should take note. Different refs and people will see different things

There's arguing he's not good enough and then there's this hyperbolic nonsense. Buckley has been the most consistent performing LH across all provinces ( bar healy and perhaps kilcoyne) for a number of years. Whether it merited caps you can argue. Feel free to ignore some v ill times injuries that likely would have seen him capped if not for
    their occurrence judging by schmidt's comments then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

connachta wrote: »
    Well again worried for 16, 17 and 22, but otherwise a damned good team, who may match Ireland A (Munster full-strenght)

Worried about heff?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Worried about heff?

Oh gosh sorry, was sure it was Murphy again, who seems light in contact (last try last week, last phase in Montpellier a year ago)..
    Burke is 24 now, might be ok.

Our y.1 Academy winger is then the only potential weakness in our 23
    And god I think SOB will be very welcomed
    That's a balenced back-row!

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Not suggesting he is better than Healy but certainly wouldn't swap Buckley for the majority of those above.

If you were look back the Leinster game and so many games before that Denis has the perfect build for his position. And then you look at one game and the next game and either the referees are pulling the piss or Denis is going down in the scrum first. And in recent times i have watched this really closely.

I have seen opposition with knees on the ground and no call from the sideline. There are so many things that are not fair in rugby, but if you don't call the basics correctly then the game is in neither teams control

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Zzippy wrote: »

Papaili was driving head first up and into the Zebre player coetzee wasn't .

Coetzee was a lot more upright then leaning forward and his feet are pretty much planted on the ground with his right foot barely leaving the ground on impact.

They are not comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Papaili was driving head first up and into the Zebre player coetzee wasn't .

Coetzee was a lot more upright then leaning forward and his feet are pretty much planted on the ground with his right foot barely leaving the ground on impact.

They are not comparable.

Coetzee leads with his head. There is forward motion, even the commentator noted he seemed to drive upwards at the time. Both players were wrongfooted by a late change in direction. Coetzee was lucky Brace saw that as mitigation. They are absolutely comparable.

Advertisement