Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 World Matchplay

• 13-07-2020 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭

Beginning this Saturday behind closed doors in Milton Keynes

1st round draw:

Saturday 6PM

Simon Whitlock v Ryan Joyce
    Krzysztof Ratajski v Jermaine Wattimena
    James Wade v Keegan Brown
    Michael van Gerwen v Brendan Dolan
    Gary Anderson v Justin Pipe

Sunday 6PM

Mensur Suljovic v Jamie Hughes
    Glen Durrant v Jeffrey de Zwaan
    Rob Cross v Gabriel Clemens
    Peter Wright v Jose De Sousa
    Michael Smith v Jonny Clayton

Monday 6PM

Dave Chisnall v Vincent van der Voort
    Ian White v Joe Cullen
    Daryl Gurney v Ricky Evans
    Gerwyn Price v Danny Noppert
    Adrian Lewis v Steve Beaton

Tuesday 6PM

Nathan Aspinall v Dimitri Van den Bergh

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm interested to see if how sky set everything up. Will they still use a big stage etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I'm interested to see if how sky set everything up. Will they still use a big stage etc?

Yeah I've seen photos on the twitter page, big stage and they'll be using fake crowd noises too. Obviously its going to be crap compared to a normal matchplay but I'm still looking foward to it.

Surprised the prize fund is still the same without any revenue been generated from fans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It's been confirmed that Phil Taylor will be there are a pundit and commentator for Sky Sports :(

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭buster180

Kingp35 wrote: »
    It's been confirmed that Phil Taylor will be there are a pundit and commentator for Sky Sports :(

But on the plus side Mardle is not doing it :D. His mother is sick and he is looking after her.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could suite players who hate the crowds

What's the format for this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Comfortable 10-4 win for Whitlock, Joyce never turned up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

I don't know if it's the camera but that dart board looked wrecked by the end of the game. Easy win for Whitlock

Some darts from the pole.

18 x 140s and 6 x 180s in 14 legs thats unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Ffs is there really a need for the piped noise, especially on both channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Wade has to be the most frustrating player to watch, cruising after the first visit then nearly throwing it away there at the end

• Advertisement

Ffs is there really a need for the piped noise, especially on both channels.

I actually think they did a brilliant job given the circumstances. It'd just be a normal floor tournament without the noise. The players can hear the crowd too so doesnt matter what channel.

US2 wrote: »
    I actually think they did a brilliant job given the circumstances. It'd just be a normal floor tournament without the noise. The players can hear the crowd too so doesnt matter what channel.

Didnt realise the players can here it as well, just thought sky were piping it in like the soccer.

Go on Brendan, keep it going.

Come on Brendan great darts. Van Gerwen doesn't seem to be enjoying the pace

dolan can never finish off against the big boys

Feels so weird watching a major in these times, like BDO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

buster180 wrote: »
    But on the plus side Mardle is not doing it :D. His mother is sick and he is looking after her.

As much as i detest him in the commentary box i'd rather him to be there than deal with that

Russ Bray really needs to raise his game, His 180 shout deffo down 20% with no crowd there.....

....although can the players really hear the "crowd" noise?

Degag wrote: »
    Russ Bray really needs to raise his game, His 180 shout deffo down 20% with no crowd there.....

....although can the players really hear the "crowd" noise?

Don't think its russ doing anything different just the crowd noise too loud. Matt Porter was talking about it on twitter. Should be fixed tomorrow.

A good night of darts anyway. Fancy De Sousa for the upset tomorrow night :)

Alot of alcohol consumed but must say I felt a bit sad watching that dave Clark montage. A legend of the sport.

Don't think its russ doing anything different just the crowd noise too loud. Matt Porter was talking about it on twitter. Should be fixed tomorrow.

Nah, he's definitely more exuberant with his 180 calls normally.
    Alot of alcohol consumed but must say I felt a bit sad watching that dave Clark montage. A legend of the sport.

Didn't see it. In fact didn't hear why he retired but presume it's because of his Parkinsons? Would have been lovely if he could've bowed out at the Worlds but maybe other factors dictated he couldn't.

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    Nah, he's definitely more exuberant with his 180 calls normally.

Didn't see it. In fact didn't hear why he retired but presume it's because of his Parkinsons? Would have been lovely if he could've bowed out at the Worlds but maybe other factors dictated he couldn't.

https://twitter.com/OfficialPDC/status/1284537997044723714?s=19

Devon Peterson has to be there in the name of diversity because he is not a good commentator at all can barley understand him at times.

Strange the effort they go to not to shake hands etc with eachother and the officials at the end of the game considering they all come within inches of eachother numerous times throughout the game.

Good shout. He should have won it really. Decent player, remember him from the worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Price probably needs the crowd to get the testosterone going :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭shockframe

Price really seems to fall apart when it goes against him.....

....But still in it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good to see Lewis seems to have lost a lot of weight hope he’s throwing well

TbL

shockframe wrote: »
    Price really seems to fall apart when it goes against him.....

....But still in it

add chizzy to that bracket too

Always falls apart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Man, I've spent so long watching the highlight videos on YouTube at 1.5x, I forgot how slow it was watching darts live :pac:
    and they'll be using fake crowd noises too

I really can't stand the fake crowd they've been adding in. It just doesn't react in the right way at all. Haven't liked it for the football games either, but at least for those there's a separate channel feed if you want to watch with raw audio only. Unfortunately, nothing for the darts :(

• Advertisement

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I really can't stand the fake crowd they've been adding in. It just doesn't react in the right way at all. Haven't liked it for the football games either, but at least for those there's a separate channel feed if you want to watch with raw audio only. Unfortunately, nothing for the darts :(

The crowd noise is actually pumped into the Arena so that the players feel more at home too. I think Sky and the PDC have done an incredible job under the circumstances. The stage and arena look great and the players have the said the crowd noise really helps them feel like it's a major. I doubt Lewis would have been screaming so much of there was no crowd noise.

Price has an awful record at the Matchplay, that's four First Round loses in a row now.

Advertisement