Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What’s your daily food supplement routine?

• 28-08-2018 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

I’m fairly new to taking supplements as my GP has always been very anti supplements. He believes if you have a balanced diet you have no business taking them (apart from B12).

I’m currently taking the following (daily):

Turmeric Root Extract Curcumin 95% 1200mg & black pepper
    Methyl B12 1,000mcg x 2
    Vitamin D 12.5ug

So, if you take supplements, what do you take & why (perceived benefits)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

You do right to supplement vitamin D. To head off trolls sneering at vegan lifestyles, vitamin D deficiency is common throughout the population due to a general lack of sunlight on this island.

Similarly, B12 intake across the population is largely achieved through fortification of food; B12 is destroyed by heat, which puts most meat sources at risk.

Personally, I had zero vitamin D at the end of the sunless summer and dull winter of 2016/2017 - the doctor recommended I take a D supplement just as we got some sunshine in 2017!

I was re-checked in May this year and have adequate B12, D and iron, so no worries for this long-term vegan without any supplements.

A good varied vegan diet with all things in moderation and plenty of sunshine is perfect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I double dose the vit D daily along with a probiotic. That's it.

I do eat oily fish (not vegetarian obviously, but very little meat) so no need to supplement omega 3. Also use quite a bit of turmeric in my diet.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I do eat oily fish (not vegetarian obviously, but very little meat) so no need to supplement omega 3. Also use quite a bit of turmeric in my diet.

igCorcaigh, my understanding of omega 3s, 6s and 9s is that we're not short of omega 3s on a varied (vegan in my case) diet - most people have an excess of omega 6 and should really investigate bringing that down.

The negatives of eating fish (depletion, mercury, cruelty etc) make it an aim worth pursuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Viridian “High Potency” Vitamin B12 1000ug

Viridian “High Five” Multivitamin & Mineral Formula

Natures Plus Source of Life organic Vitamin D3 63ug (2500 IU) (vegan, the D3 in these is plant sourced)

Optibac Probiotics (orange packet) L. paracasei CASEI 431 and Vitamin C. (vegan)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

B12 once a week, vitamin D daily (everybody should do this really), and algae omega 3 daily. I eat Brazil nuts for selenium. If you want to make sure of iodine you can take a tablet for that but I believe our veg/soil has it anyway due to us being an island nation.

• Advertisement

vitamin D daily (everybody should do this really)

Yes.
    I believe our veg/soil has it anyway due to us being an island nation.

Seaweed's nice too - I crumble arame into gravies. Clearspot sea cakes are gorgeous too. :)

igCorcaigh, my understanding of omega 3s, 6s and 9s is that we're not short of omega 3s on a varied (vegan in my case) diet - most people have an excess of omega 6 and should really investigate bringing that down.

The negatives of eating fish (depletion, mercury, cruelty etc) make it an aim worth pursuing.

Yes, correct, it's about the balance of different types. Many consume too much omega 6 via seed oils. So cutting down on that helps the ratio as does increasing omega 3.

I found kelp supplements helpful. Noticed an increase in energy levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

• Vitamin D
    • Omega3
    • B12

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I take Holland and Barrett's Vegan multivitamin, also their vitamin D3, and Biotin. All daily (mostly :) ) . I stock up on all these whenever H&B have a half-price or 'one cent' sale. I wash these down with One Nutrition 'Power Greens' powder which I mix with a glass of juice or smoothie, also daily (mostly). I have chia seeds, and hemp seeds which I sprinkle onto my overnight oats before eating this for breakfast. I sometimes even remember to sprinkle nutritional yeast onto my dinner. I started eating brazil nuts for selenium but I fell out of the habit - they're not really my favourite nut.

I had bloods done very recently and everything was fine. My good cholesterol could do with being a teeny smidgen higher, but apart from that, all good.

• Advertisement

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I started eating brazil nuts for selenium but I fell out of the habit - they're not really my favourite nut.

Oh I know, they're not quite pistachios or pine nuts, are they!

I find it better to pick up the crushed brazils, and other crushed nuts the health shops sell, they're quite a bit cheaper and I just mix them all up and use as a sprinkle on... everything :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah and you only need so little, less than half a nuts worth. I have a 1kg bag sitting here so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Vitamin D once a week (on prescription) and a daily double dose of probiotics. Not really a supplement but now taking a shot of apple cider vinegar now every day.

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Vitamin D once a week (on prescription) and a daily double dose of probiotics. Not really a supplement but now taking a shot of apple cider vinegar now every day.

My doctor once said 'Vitamin D deficiency is very Irish'. I've decided to top up once a week too, as the last few weeks have been very overcast.

Probiotics are getting a drubbing in the press at the moment - I've never had much faith in them but it's down to whether you personally feel better with them.

The wife has ACV every morning and swears by it. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Can anyone recommend a Vegan Omega 3 and Vitamin D please?

My doctor once said 'Vitamin D deficiency is very Irish'. I've decided to top up once a week too, as the last few weeks have been very overcast.

Probiotics are getting a drubbing in the press at the moment - I've never had much faith in them but it's down to whether you personally feel better with them.

Deficiency is common all over Europe!
    Can anyone recommend a Vegan Omega 3 and Vitamin D please?
    Omega 3, these guys always have sales, 30% off coupon atm, can get 2 for 1 sometimes.
    https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/vegan-omega/11447800.html

These guys do omega 3 and vitamin D https://www.vegetology.com/
    If you go to iherb and search for vegan D3 there is a good few https://ie.iherb.com/search?kw=vegan%20vitamin%20d3&cids=1855&rank=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I get IBS, real bad. Probiotics are the only thing that comes close to making the symptoms better. Same with the acv, I’ve only started to take it recently but it seems to have had a positive effect despite the awful taste!

You can get ACV in capsule(?) form. Never investigated it but you can get it as a supplement if you can't hack the taste of it neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 veganvitality

Buy online Omega 3 Vegan Supplements capsule only at £14.99 from Vegan Vitality. Omega 3 is naturally produced by algae and not include any fish. Vegan Omega 3 Supplements are only vegetable-based and grown in a 100% contamination-free environment and they are totally carrageenan free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ironballs

I personally use Vegan Vitalitys Omega 3 algae oil product for my vegan omega 3 fix - vegan-vitality.co.uk/products/vegan-omega-3

For vitamin d, i would recommend their vegan multivitamin - vegan-vitality.co.uk/products/vegan-multivitamin

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

I take quest super vegan timed release tabs, Vegetology's vitamin D and vegan DHA. We normally have some seaweed soup (Korean) once a week or use kelp to make stock when cooking so I'd imagine my iodine levels are grand.

I've tracked my nutrients and the only thing I was slightly low in was dietary vitamin D which I've since rectified through supplementing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Daisy78 wrote: »
    I get IBS, real bad. Probiotics are the only thing that comes close to making the symptoms better.

Ditto. Symprove was the only probiotic that really worked for me. Take it daily first thing every day. It's expensive but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭65535

I don't take any supplements - I do notice a lot of vegan products have 'added B12'

Just want to triple check with the good folk here as I don’t want to provide the wrong info.

I’m currently taking 2 supplements a day.

One of these -

https://www.vegansociety.com/shop/veg-1-supplements

And one of these -

https://www.vegetology.com/shop/opti3-omega-3-epa-dha

Have I got it all boxed off with just those 2 supplements ?

I’m pretty sure I have as I’ve previously researched this but as I’ve been asked for advice I want to make sure I’m not giving poor guidance.

I buy those 2 from the UK.

Is there anywhere online in Ireland to buy the same 2 products, don’t have to be the same brands, as I’ll be sending them to addresses in the Republic.

Any takers for this ?

The vegan society one doesn't exactly cover all the basis imo as there's no zinc, iron or calcium. Aside from iodine, b12 and vitamin D you can easily get all of the other components as long as your nutrition is well planned and from a variety of plants.

Vegetology do free delivery to Ireland over 25 euro I think. I rate their products and they are reasonably priced.

Bigbooty wrote: »
    The vegan society one doesn't exactly cover all the basis imo as there's no zinc, iron or calcium. Aside from iodine, b12 and vitamin D you can easily get all of the other components as long as your nutrition is well planned and from a variety of plants.

Vegetology do free delivery to Ireland over 25 euro I think. I rate their products and they are reasonably priced.

Yeah. But it’s not for me.

I don’t want to advise incorrectly.

And I’d like to buy them whatever it is they need, in terms of important supplements, for their first few months.

The less pills the better. As in if I can find a 1 or 2 pill solution rather than buying 3-4 different ones.

In that case, Vegetology's Vegvit and DHA would cover most of what a vegan person would need. As long as there's no underlying health conditions.

• Advertisement

klopparama wrote: »
    Just want to triple check with the good folk here as I don’t want to provide the wrong info.

I’m currently taking 2 supplements a day.

One of these -

https://www.vegansociety.com/shop/veg-1-supplements

And one of these -

https://www.vegetology.com/shop/opti3-omega-3-epa-dha

Have I got it all boxed off with just those 2 supplements ?

I’m pretty sure I have as I’ve previously researched this but as I’ve been asked for advice I want to make sure I’m not giving poor guidance.

Yes pretty much the most important things are all covered in those.

Advertisement