Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Experience + Innocence Tour **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales or Requests**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭JKerova1

Reviews so far seem to be mainly positive with some mixed, although I just read that consequenceofsound have slated it, calling it another dud in their back catelogue. Gonna be hard to try and resist until Friday. One of the record stores near me is having a midnight opening though so might head along to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bono's voice sounds superb on the newie. Produced reasonably well, in a conveyor belt generic made for US radio pop music kind of way.

Their "nicest" record. On the 2nd listen now and its really dull. After such a promising opening. Edge is barely on it. Sounds like a Bono solo record. It only goes full Coldplay a couple of times which is good though.

However in shedding Coldplay, they seemed to have moved a couple of notches closer to Maroon 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

:pac: Oh The Nal! You're a sucker for punishment it seems!

:pac: Oh The Nal! You're a sucker for punishment it seems!

Ha. Ill always give them a listen. Thats as fair and a non trolling a review as I can give.

A run of the mill pop album that Ill never listen to again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭ Tomas White Suspect

The Nal wrote: »
    Ha. Ill always give them a listen. Thats as fair and a non trolling a review as I can give.

A run of the mill pop album that Ill never listen to again.

Maroon 5 though?!

None of it sounds like Maroon 5 to me and I listen to them :o
    Don't get how you can call some of the lyrics "run of the mill" either

• Advertisement

Don't get how you can call some of the lyrics "run of the mill" either

"I have everything but I feel like nothing at all"

"Baby it's a Red Flag Day
    Baby let's get in the water
    Taken out by a wave
    Where we've never been before"

"The door is open to go through
    If I could I would come too
    But the path is made by you
    As you're walking start singing and stop talking"

The last one sounds like something off Bosco.

Parts of the album are ok-ish though.

Taken out by a wave

"I have everything but I feel like nothing at all" is quite profound I think.

Speaking as someone who went through a degree of depression and had issues of that degree, you can have everything you need/want and yet, feel like the worst thing in the world.

So while it might appear somewhat simple, it can have a relatable quality to many

Taken out by a wave

U2 have wrote cheesy lines like above since day one! It's nothing new with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭JKerova1

"I have everything but I feel like nothing at all" is quite profound I think.

Speaking as someone who went through a degree of depression and had issues of that degree, you can have everything you need/want and yet, feel like the worst thing in the world.

So while it might appear somewhat simple, it can have a relatable quality to many

He's great at writing lyrics like that. 'The more you know the less you believe - the more you have the more it takes today'.

Initially I think they intended this to be quite an experimental album, but it sounds like they have reverted to type and made another really conventional record? Starting to wish I didn't read the reviews now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Initially I think they intended this to be quite an experimental album, but it sounds like they have reverted to type and made another really conventional record? Starting to wish I didn't read the reviews now!

Its similar to ATYCLB in style ,its very mainstream and poppish .
    Its certainly not dark like Achtung Baby or Zooropa .
    There are some good tunes on it ,a few duds too,American Soul is the worst song by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Folks, where are you listening to these tracks?

Its similar to ATYCLB in style ,its very mainstream and poppish .
    Its certainly not dark like Achtung Baby or Zooropa .
    There are some good tunes on it ,a few duds too,American Soul is the worst song by a mile.

Dunno about mainstream per say. I don't think it's commercial like ATYCLB and I think You're The Best Thing is as commercial or mainstream as it gets on there.

Poppish it is though and it's certainly not as dark as Zooropa or Achtung Baby although, I think those two are the most serious/darkest albums they've ever done

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Reviews so far seem to be mainly positive with some mixed, although I just read that consequenceofsound have slated it, calling it another dud in their back catelogue. Gonna be hard to try and resist until Friday. One of the record stores near me is having a midnight opening though so might head along to that.

Consequenceofsound seem to be anti U2
    One of the more provocative anecdotes from Joe Hagan’s new biography about Rolling Stone is the revelation that founder Jann Wenner personally dictated U2’s Songs of Innocence to be the magazine’s No. 1 album in 2014. Wenner allegedly prioritized his friendship with U2’s Bono over the quality of the album, telling an editor, “My dictate. By fiat, buddy. That’s that.”

Well, he’s done it again in 2017. Today, Rolling Stone released its list of the year’s 50 best albums, and U2’s Songs of Experience has claimed the No. 3 spot. The album isn’t officially out until Friday, so most people haven’t heard it yet. We have, though, and can tell you it’s nowhere close to being a top 3 album of 2017. In fact, the early consensus on the Consequence of Sound Slack channel is that Songs of Experience is one of the year’s worst releases, another dud in U2’s once flawless discography.

Everyone knows that Rolling Stone give good reviews to big artists in return for exclusive interviews etc .
    Consequences Top 50 album list of the year is laughable though.

Folks, where are you listening to these tracks?

Here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bSGGLVc5nNhG94KToN972jcz69rVdLxI

Consequenceofsound seem to be anti U2

Sure they are. The failing Consequenceofsound, fake news etc.

#sad

Here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bSGGLVc5nNhG94KToN972jcz69rVdLxI

#sad

Don't worry, we hold your opinion higher than our own and their's. We look up to you. We yearn for your soapbox

We may even join you on The Journal some day. It's the dream

Day 4000 of The Nal being subjected to U2 music he doesn't like. Update. He still doesn't like U2 Post POP.

No offence pal but, I absolutely hate music snobbery. It's not just U2.

You don't need to ridicule people because they like a piece of music you don't or think you're above something. Lyrics you scoff at, might have a personal meaning to someone else. Or a piece of music might put someone in a headspace or moment in time that you'll never understand.
    Or, some might just want to rock the **** out and headbang around the place, playing air guitar. It doesn't mean there is a lack of class, meaning, soul or intelligence in the music

You like something, happy days. If you don't, oh well. Same for everyone. Not everything is for everyone. It's not oxygen

#sad

They said that the U2 album was one of the worst albums of the year and yet their so called Top 50 album list of the year contains some absolute garbage .
    Almost as hyperbolic as something The Nal would say.

Hey Nal Get Out of Your Own Way ...

They said that the U2 album was one of the worst albums of the year and yet their so called Top 50 album list of the year contains some absolute garbage .
    Almost as hyperbolic as something The Nal would say.

Hey Nal Get Out of Your Own Way ...

Blackout, it's clear, The Nal will appear

I like that they sampled the Sunday Game theme tune in The Showman :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Not sure what anyone is expecting from this band anymore. People are always looking for the next Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby but thats never going to happen. They're all nearing 60 now, and I dont remember the likes of the Stones writing too many decent coherent albums at that age. On the first listen of this album and it's pretty damn solid so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Listened to 3 times now. Favourites so far are lights of home, little things and love is bigger. Also don't get the hate for American soul, I really like it.

"U2’s fourteenth album won’t mysteriously appear on your iPhone, which is probably for the best".

Ouch.

http://www.nme.com/reviews/album/u2-songs-experience-album-review

"U2’s fourteenth album won’t mysteriously appear on your iPhone, which is probably for the best".

Ouch.

http://www.nme.com/reviews/album/u2-songs-experience-album-review

And I can link a ton of reviews that say it's good, what's your point? :confused: Or, you just trolling like you are in the McGregor thread? :confused:

Personally, I haven't listened to reviews since I was a teenager. Make my own mind up on what music I like. If I listened to reviews, I'd never have gotten into music and would never be a musician
    Remember, reviews blasted TJT, Achtung Baby, What's The Story Morning Glory and The Stone Roses debut album to name a few.

Plus, the NME have never given U2 a good review...Ever!

Yeah give it up the Nal, seriously! NME.....christ.....next you'll be quoting pitchfork....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Wooderson

He's laughing at you sods FFS.

Anyway. I cracked and listened to it. Fail to see the hype if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Not sure what anyone is expecting from this band anymore. People are always looking for the next Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby but thats never going to happen. They're all nearing 60 now, and I dont remember the likes of the Stones writing too many decent coherent albums at that age. On the first listen of this album and it's pretty damn solid so far.

I'll tell you what I'm expecting and what I always expect from U2. A record that tells us they're pushing themselves beyond their limits, a record that tells the listener U2 are not happy playing it safe. Why would anyone want another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? What's the point in being artistically redundant like that?

With a few notable exceptions on ATYCLB and NLOTH (plus Electrical Storm, which is an amazing song) they've been playing it safe since Pop. And based on the very average songs that have been released so far (although I do really like The Little Things anytime I've heard it live), I don't have high hopes for this one. I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong though.

As for their age, why should that come into it? You've picked probably the worst example in the Stones by the way. They became a business, a band only too willing to trade off past glories. Are you saying U2 shouldn't be making too many decent, coherent albums at this age? Countless artists have made great music that stirred the emotions in their twilight years. I wish U2 were still capable of that but I don't think they are.

I'll tell you what I'm expecting and what I always expect from U2. A record that tells us they're pushing themselves beyond their limits, a record that tells the listener U2 are not happy playing it safe. Why would anyone want another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? What's the point in being artistically redundant like that?

With a few notable exceptions on ATYCLB and NLOTH (plus Electrical Storm, which is an amazing song) they've been playing it safe since Pop. And based on the very average songs that have been released so far (although I do really like The Little Things anytime I've heard it live), I don't have high hopes for this one. I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong though.

As for their age, why should that come into it? You've picked probably the worst example in the Stones by the way. They became a business, a band only too willing to trade off past glories. Are you saying U2 shouldn't be making too many decent, coherent albums at this age? Countless artists have made great music that stirred the emotions in their twilight years. I wish U2 were still capable of that but I don't think they are.

The Little Things stirs the emotions in me. I say they are capable tbh.
    At the end of the day, it comes down to the individual listener. I think they are anyways for what it's worth. If they twist my emotions, I'm happy out.

Not really sure either about "beyond the limit." How do you mean? I mean, if you enjoy it, that's all the matters isn't it? I don't listen to Johnny B.Goode and think Chuck played it safe only putting in three chords.

If that's your thing, cool. That's your taste at the end of the day. I've no right to say otherwise. Great thing about music :)

Wooderson wrote: »
    He's laughing at you sods FFS.

Anyway. I cracked and listened to it. Fail to see the hype if I'm honest.

Hype?

I just like the songs is all. Don't know about anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Hype?

I just like the songs is all. Don't know about anyone else

Yeh, spose. Read a few places stuff like “best album of theirs in years”. It’s not better than Innocence.

Advertisement