Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

As Thomas said ..err on side of caution..ur not gonna get any fitter in two weeks..maintain and recover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

As Thomas says, it really is an individual thing (And I'd definitely be one of the lunatics that he refers to :)). There are nearly as many theories on ultra training as there are ultra runners.

With two weeks to go to what is presumably your target race for the season your training is done. Time to switch focus onto being as well prepared for the race as possible. The main thing I would say is do whatever you're going to be happiest with, and don't sweat the small details. Mental attitude and preparation is just as important as physical, so don't let minor details about training plans worry you. (I would say burn the training plan myself!).

My own advice would be do the milage, but keep it comfortable. A nice easy jog around to keep the feet and legs used to covering milage (and keep the fat burning system well tuned!), but without putting in any effort or strain to tire yourself. Just do it on feel without worrying about the numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Cheers for the advice, guys. Much appreciated.

I suppose I'm just in that panicky "have I done enough/can I cram in one more long run just to make sure" phase. :o

Whatever I do I'll be sure to take it handy. No point in stressing myself at this stage of training, it wont help on race day. I suppose the training for the race is done and I have to have confidence in what I did in the last 3-4 months rather than worrying about one more long run.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Well done ankers99 on winning. Conn 100

Link to ankers99 race report.
    http://ankers99.blogspot.ie/2014/08/connemara-100-2014-run-experience.html?m=1

Pretty impressive performance considering he was running 30-40 mile weeks and this was his first time stepping up to this kind of distance.
    I was plugging his time into McMillan there and it shows a Marathon equivalent of 2:44; which given his marathon Pb (yet to break 3hrs) and the fact he had limited training shows a very bright future at the longer ultra distances IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

menoscemo wrote: »
    Link to ankers99 race report.
    http://ankers99.blogspot.ie/2014/08/connemara-100-2014-run-experience.html?m=1

Pretty impressive performance considering he was running 30-40 mile weeks and this was his first time stepping up to this kind of distance.
    I was plugging his time into McMillan there and it shows a Marathon equivalent of 2:44; which given his marathon Pb (yet to break 3hrs) and the fact he had limited training shows a very bright future at the longer ultra distances IMO
    What a fantastic performance and a race report to match. Very entertaining. Well done ankers99.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Full 30 minute documentary on Ryan Sandes 220km Drakensberg Grand Traverse record.

Only available online for a limited time.

http://www.redbull.com/za/en/adventure/stories/1331672300014/travailen-full-version

Watched this last night. Highly recommend it.

Brilliant documentary and the cinematography is superb. Incredible landscape.

Some inspiration for anyone heading to Chamonix next week.

Short clip on what is Skyrunning.

The Kerry Way Ultra is on at the moment, 200km.

You can follow the live tracking here:

http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/kerryway14.cfm

Paul Tierney is currently leading, last year's winner Stefaan D'Espallier is a close second.

Enduro in 22nd place in tour de gantes,,at 232km at mo with 100km to go...Dan Doherty in top 10

• Advertisement

Enduro in 22nd place in tour de gantes,,at 232km at mo with 100km to go...Dan Doherty in top 10
    http://www.tordesgeants.it/live/webcam/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I see Dan is now in 6th with Enduro in 19th...closing in on 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Transvulania

Looks like serious fun!

Just back in Ireland after the Tor Des Geants trip. I think I can safely say that was the best running race I've ever had the pleasure to participate in.... Wow! It really is an incredible event. It's only going to get more and more popular as its reputation grows. The course is truely awesome. We managed to luck out completely with the weather. Even more luckily we had a full moon on the first night, so every night there was incredible views across the alps bathed in moonlight (with regular thunderstorms in the distance illuminating the landscape even more spectacularly).

In the end Dan finished 6th (A world class performance), and I managed to haul my way through the field after some early difficulties to finish 15th. For a non-alpine country Ireland is getting some great results here. I'll definitely have to write a wee report on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Super result Enduro! Just back from trekking the TMB. Got to see the start of the UTMB in Chamonix and took a day off in Courmayeur as they were doing the final prep for the TDG start. The buzz about for both races has me wanting to go back to take part. Don't think I'd ever be able to get the body into the kind of shape required to take on the Tor Des Geants though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Met Gary out there a few times. He's a great guy. Very funny and great company in real life. Hope his recovery goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

....Then the long, long climb up to the highest part of the course, where I actually discovered, like some sort of B list X-Men character, that I had a secondary breathing system which allowed me to breathe out my arse.

....I went all the way up, stopping every now and then to pretend to check out the sights but in reality to try and stuff my diaphragm back behind my teeth somewhere

....when I felt myself falling asleep on my feet and my mind beginning to wander, I grabbed one of these fences and held on for dear life, usually the one shock was enough to give me a good ten minutes of lucidity, but now and then, particularly approaching dawn, I had to ride the lightning for a second and third jolt. Somehow my addled brain thought this was an act of genius.

Fantastic read. Hope the recover is the best case scenario.

Ankers and aidan currently 2nd + 3rd at tooting bec 24 hr..@runandbecome.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

Ankers is leading with 8Hr40 on the clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ankers and aidan currently 2nd + 3rd at tooting bec 24 hr..@runandbecome.....

Good luck to them, especially to Brian. I strongly suspect he would be aiming to run 220k with an eye on next years championships in Turin.

Leader board at 10hrs......Good nite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I see here that a right clash of the Titans is going to go down next week with our very own Ultraman1 toeing the line with Boards.ie's favourite celebrity ultra-runner...the one and only Dean "UltraMarathon-Man" Karnazes

Anto, can you ask how he gets that extra sheen going on and does the oil give him an advantage?
    Any chance you would give them a quick squeeze to see if they're not implants?
    A selfie with him oiled up in the background on the photos of where you run thread F.T.W.!!

Hope things work out for you - truly epic by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

65 miles at 10 hours
    76.5 miles at 12.5 hours
    93 miles at 18 (oh dear!) :(
    99 miles at 20

ByCqb5EIQAA82pF.jpg:large

Well done for keeping going, but I say he'll be gutted

20hrs....aidan out wit stomach issues,ankers Is bollixedd....And 3 burds are winning it

Hard luck for the lads. It's a tough event which can give anyone a bad day when things are less than optimal.

Best of luck in Greece Ultraman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

I have to admit- as much as I enjoy trolling Enduro/ Ultra, those Alpine runs he and a few of the other lads on here just did looks friggin awesome....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ultraman 1 goes in the Spartathlon tomorrow. I set up a thread to follow him here

Best of Luck Anto!!

Pre-reg for the Lavaredo Trail 120k opened yesterday and only stays open for 10 days if anyone is interested. Looks like a fantastic route. Has anyone done it before?

I've put my name down for pre-reg but the date of the race may not suit. I'll make a decision if I get through the pre-reg.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Link if vid doesnt work

• Advertisement

AON confirmed jan 16th!!!!!!

Advertisement