Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner DJs Guide to DJ Equipment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

fiachr_a wrote: »
    If you find some old 78 rpm records in the attic or charity shop press both speed buttons on the turntable to play. 33 + 45 = 78!

Jaysis that's mad. I never copped that they both add up to 78. Although, I think you might be wrong about the pressing the two of them together to give you 78! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Jaysis that's mad. I never copped that they both add up to 78. Although, I think you might be wrong about the pressing the two of them together to give you 78! ;)

That works on some tables, but not 1210s. It's great for instant chipmunk vibes.

That works on some tables, but not 1210s. It's great for instant chipmunk vibes.

You'd need a different type of needle for a 78 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You'd need a different type of needle for a 78 though.

Yeah you need a different stylus for it to play an actual 78 rpm record correctly, but any record can be played at 78. Hence the chipmunk vibes. It''s probably bad for the stylus and the record though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

On the tips of headphones/leads: one black ring is mono, two is stereo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

Can anybody recommend a soundcard in the 100-150 range?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Hi guys, long time lurker of the forum! Looking for some advice.

I worked as a dj a good while back (late 90's / 00's vinyl / cd's) and trying to get back into the mix of things. Looking to go down the controller route but struggling to choose which software / controller combo to go for. Keep all music in itunes (playing mostly tech house / techno etc, no scratching) and have enjoyed using the new djay pro software released recently directly on macbook.

In particular I liked the look of traktor and the NI controllers as the integration looked really tight but the new djay pro software has thrown me for a loop. From what I can see Serato is also top notch but have not been able to demo it properly.

Long winded and I apologise but I was wondering what set-ups you guys are using at the moment ? Also if you are out playing do you bring your own controllers / software with you? or use the in-house set-ups?

Many thanks in advance and apologies again for the long post! Look forward to hearing about your kit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Tin_Cup wrote: »
    Hi guys, long time lurker of the forum! Looking for some advice.

I worked as a dj a good while back (late 90's / 00's vinyl / cd's) and trying to get back into the mix of things. Looking to go down the controller route but struggling to choose which software / controller combo to go for. Keep all music in itunes (playing mostly tech house / techno etc, no scratching) and have enjoyed using the new djay pro software released recently directly on macbook.

In particular I liked the look of traktor and the NI controllers as the integration looked really tight but the new djay pro software has thrown me for a loop. From what I can see Serato is also top notch but have not been able to demo it properly.

Long winded and I apologise but I was wondering what set-ups you guys are using at the moment ? Also if you are out playing do you bring your own controllers / software with you? or use the in-house set-ups?

Many thanks in advance and apologies again for the long post! Look forward to hearing about your kit

What is your budget?

Serato would be my choice of software if I was starting out. Most of the controller manufacturers are now natively supporting serato and some are even providing the full pro version of the software free when you buy the controller. Pioneer, denon and vestax (among others) all do fantastic controllers that would be perfect. It really depends on you budget after that.

Traktor and virtual dj would be the other main software set ups, and there are countless other lesser known but perfectly capable solutions. Pioneer have their own software called rekordbox as well that will work with their controllers. There really are endless options. Most of the above offer free trial versions that you can download. You can figure out which you prefer then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I was a user of Traktor for many years, but recently moved to Serato, mainly because the Native Instruments Controllers felt like plastic, and no other controllers have the nice Jog Wheel response within Traktor (as they locked it out).

The Pioneer DDJ-SR (mine) and SX really do feel like proper Dj gear, with a full metal build and knobs all firmly bolted onto the faceplate. Its pretty much as perfect in layout as you can get without having a full CDJ rig.

Of course if you have the budget and intend playing clubs regularly, I'd consider the new xdj controllers and use Rekordbox, which will allow you to use pretty much exactly the same setup as the clubs and you wont need to bring along any extra gear with you assumming they have at least upgraded to 350's/850's/900's/2000's

DJay pro while has a lovely interface, is still miles behind the competiton with almost all other features, with the exception of the spotify gimmick which could be cool except it is limited severely to mobile download quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Thanks for the replies guys appreciate the info. Had a budget of around 600 in mind but don't mind waiting to pick up quality kit (got burned with my first set of gear and swore to go with best quality from than on).

The DDJ-SR looks perfect was.deevey. Great info on the build quality would be something I would prioritise and looks to have everything you could need.

Have been trying out the different demos but Serato was the only one I couldn't due to not having a controller. the fact you both recommended speaks highly of it. Think I was leaning towards djay pro mostly just because I have spent a bit of time with it and only starting to explore the others.

Thanks again for replies happy new year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 cacdit2016

What kind of figure would i look at if i wanted to become an amateur dj?

cacdit2016 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

cacdit2016 wrote: »

You can spend whatever you like. What do mean by amateur? Just bedroom stuff or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Swainer

Can anyone tell me how I can download some up to date karaoke tracks to play with show presenter. Is it easy? Is it possible? I also use virtual dj. I am running with a hard drive

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rudiger2.0

Would anyone know where in Ireland to get a replacement stylus for a Stanton 500?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

rudiger2.0 wrote: »
    Would anyone know where in Ireland to get a replacement stylus for a Stanton 500?

Do Aquarius in Celbridge sell them maybe? I remember Kormac of Big Band fame posting on FB about trying to find a needle in Dublin not too long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Currently looking for a decent controller setup that I can plug in to a laptop to do some mixes. I have a set of CDJ 1000's but they are down in my family home and too bulky for where I currently live. With this in mind I'm looking for a tidy setup so I can keep up my interest in home/bedroom djing while away from home. Any recommendations?

Is the Pioneer DDJ SB2 any good for the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

Where do you buy old school vinyl, just bought a cheap set of decks and mixer purely for bedroom mixing.
    used to go clubbin in town all through the 90s, sides,asylum,grouchos,ormond,temple,system,shaft, so that kind of old school.

spqr,sensation, way out west sort of thing.

cheers

tmabr wrote: »
    Where do you buy old school vinyl, just bought a cheap set of decks and mixer purely for bedroom mixing.
    used to go clubbin in town all through the 90s, sides,asylum,grouchos,ormond,temple,system,shaft, so that kind of old school.

spqr,sensation, way out west sort of thing.

cheers

Online is your best bet. The likes of Discogs Marketplace

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

cheers man, never heard of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 aldoboymusic

The best bang for back standalone kit is the XDJRX by Pioneer, the only gripe i have with it is the lack of a querty keyboard, other than that it's as close as you can get to Pioneer's flagship Nexus gear...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DuffyD24

Good post, I started out on a Denon HD2500 and Numark M2 mixer, if you can learn on some of the most bog standard gear you'll be fine. Once you can learn to beatmatch, everything else you do and all the other features are for showing off! But once you can mix on bog standard gear you should be able to mix on anything with a bit of adjustment to the new equipment. Translating the beatmatching just comes down to getting a feel for the new equipment. Now having said that, that works for most CDJs and equipment like that but I'm still working on vinyl mixing! haha! Train your ear and the world is your oyster!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DuffyD24

mossy464 wrote: »
    Currently looking for a decent controller setup that I can plug in to a laptop to do some mixes. I have a set of CDJ 1000's but they are down in my family home and too bulky for where I currently live. With this in mind I'm looking for a tidy setup so I can keep up my interest in home/bedroom djing while away from home. Any recommendations?

Dude if you can, try and find the DDJ T1 from pioneer! Great quality piece of kit. The new Pioneer controllers have a very plastic/fischer price kind of feel to them, very flimsy. The T1 is top quality! Can pick one up for anything between 300 and 500 on adverts or some of them!

DuffyD24 wrote: »
    mossy464 wrote: »
    Currently looking for a decent controller setup that I can plug in to a laptop to do some mixes. I have a set of CDJ 1000's but they are down in my family home and too bulky for where I currently live.  With this in mind I'm looking for a tidy setup so I can keep up my interest in home/bedroom djing while away from home. Any recommendations?

Dude if you can, try and find the DDJ T1 from pioneer! Great quality piece of kit. The new Pioneer controllers have a very plastic/fischer price kind of feel to them, very flimsy. The T1 is top quality! Can pick one up for anything between 300 and 500 on adverts or some of them!
    For 300 you should be able to pick up a S/H DDJ-SR. For 500 probably a DDJ-SX MK1, both of which are built like tanks and far better than the first Gen S1/T1 Pioneer controllers. 
    The Numark NV is a tidy little controller as well, and worth looking at as well. You should be able to pick up a Mk1 for under 400. 
    If you already have CDJ's you'll only be disappointed by the feel of low end stuff (any bottom end controllers) .. I'd try and get something mid tier second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

What equipment would I need to use if playing in a nightclub that has a DJ booth? I have a laptop, loads of music, would I be able to play by just downloading DJ software or would I need something else? Looking to start a monthly alternative night

Help!!!! wrote: »
    What equipment would I need to use if playing in a nightclub that has a DJ booth? 
    If its a nightclub they probably already have gear in the booth, the usual would be Pioneer CD Players and a mixer - anything from the past few years and you can just plug in a USB filled up with your MP3's. No need to complicate things if its unnecessary so check first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

was.deevey wrote: »
    For 300 you should be able to pick up a S/H DDJ-SR. For 500 probably a DDJ-SX MK1, both of which are built like tanks and far better than the first Gen S1/T1 Pioneer controllers. 
    The Numark NV is a tidy little controller as well, and worth looking at as well. You should be able to pick up a Mk1 for under 400. 
    If you already have CDJ's you'll only be disappointed by the feel of low end stuff (any bottom end controllers) .. I'd try and get something mid tier second hand.

Thanks for the recommendations. Only getting around to this now. Once i've sorted a controller i'd be best flogging the CDJs. How much would one expect to get for a pair of CDJ 1000 MK3's and a DJM 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Well folks,

looking for an at home set up (deck, mixer and speakers) and whatever else I need...

Where should I go to buy them?? Deck doesn't have to be top of the line (audio technica, numark )

All help is appreciated

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

What's the goal? Vinyl, CDs or MP3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I've built up a decent vinyl collection over the years so I wanna get back into it.. So have a good set up where I can listen to it whenever I want..

Advertisement