Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Stopped reading Transmetropolitan book 3, seemed that it was trying to be too political, a bit boring. I'll have another crack at it.

Reading watchmen at the moment, quite good.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Fysh wrote:
    The transmet book isn't another storyline - it's a collection of promo work done before the comic started,
    Now quiet correct. Two of the three chunks were only released during the series and the final part before.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Having now read it, you're quite right - I based my description on Warren Ellis' comments about the book in his mailing list a couple of months back, which I must have mis-read.

It was better than I thought, actually. It was cool checking out the range of different artists and, while there were a few duds (I grow more and more bored with Steve Dillon's artwork every time I see it), most of them were great - particularly liked the Lazarus churchyard cameo in D'Israeli's contribution.

Also read LOEG vol 2, and it was...fitting. O'Neills artwork is once again outstanding, Moore's characterisation is excellent, and the storyline brings in yet more characters from books and stories I've enjoyed. The only drawback about it is that it's very hard to see how Moore might follow this up, if he even intends to.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I believe there is a vague plan of doing another one with a different league. There have been hints that it could possibly be one set in the 1950s or one of the leagues seen in the pictures in the HQ.

Had a flick through Transmetropolitan: Tales of human waste, and it seems brilliant. Loved the different looks of spider. The only thing is it seems to give a bit away regarding different storylines, so I'll take it on after I read the books (although that's gonna take ages :eek: :confused: ).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

neXus9 wrote:
    Had a flick through Transmetropolitan: Tales of human waste, and it seems brilliant. Loved the different looks of spider. The only thing is it seems to give a bit away regarding different storylines, so I'll take it on after I read the books (although that's gonna take ages :eek: :confused: ).

You probably won't spoil anything from beyond about the fourth book, although there are parts of the election that are, well, given away.

As for the League Vol 3 possibilities...Much info over here, although it looks like it's still in a development phase. Looks good so far though. Wonder who'd be in a 1990's league? And who would they fight?

I have the election one at the moment, so I'll probably finish that and book 4, then read the collected pieces.

Just at the bit in watchmen where Rorschach
    gets this guy and handcuffs him and gives him a hacksaw. Then he pours petrol onto the floor and tells him there's no point in trying to go through the cuffs. Then he drops a lit match, walks out and watches the place go up in flames. That part is a rip off from the end of mad max
    (still, the comic's quite good).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭3-D Preacher

The comic book/graphic novel/whatever-you-want-to-call-it I'm reading at the moment (and admittidly, the only one i have) is The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol2 (the hardback edition- I splurged, okay?). Great artwork, even better plot (yes, I know its set in The War of The Worlds). Ah, the glories of steampunk. I'm planning to buy either Y:The Last Man, Squee or Johnny the Homicidal Maniac next. Any suggestions as to which one I should choose would be very welcome...

I can't comment on Y : The Last Man yet, since I haven't gotten around to reading it, but I'd go for Johnny the homicidal maniac before squee. Not least because some of the stuff in the squee book was originally in the JHTM single issues. That said, you can get a hardback book of the collected JHTM comics which includes this, making squee a less worthwhile purchase unless you really like the little bugger. Which I have to confess I don't.

Separately to that, I've finally gotten around to buying V for Vendetta (couldn't get it in Other Realms for a while; happened to look in Easons and they had it). It was very good, but at the same time I'm glad it's been a while since I first read Watchmen; it meant I didn't straight away pick up on the similarities between the two. I'm growing more and more convinced that everyone in the world should be required, by law, to read all of Alan Moore's work, or at least a significant part of it. Now I'm waiting for Hellblazer : Setting Sun to come out....

• Advertisement

I'm planning to buy either Y:The Last Man, Squee or Johnny the Homicidal Maniac next. Any suggestions as to which one I should choose would be very welcome...
    I prefer Squee to JTHM (I'll have to get that Squee collection). You should check out watchmen, which is from the same writer of the league of extraodinary gentlemen, Alan Moore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

The Invisibles, anyone else read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I have the who last run of the invisibles (13-1 , it counted downwards) in original comic format it's alright the earlier parts were better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

I read 3 today. A really old copy of Sandman, Issue one of Batman: Death of innocents, and another old Batman one, I forget what it was called, but he was fighting someone with a halbert...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm reading some hellboy comics (gearing up for the movie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Just finished up a chill out weekend that involved all the ultimate line from marvel, hellblazer, Superman:Red Son (pretty damm cool) and all the Star Wars comics done so far :)

Re-read V for Vendetta and the Warren Ellis 3-issue miniseries "Red". Finally managed to pick up the last issue of "Heaven's Devils", so I re-read the first three of those as well.

I notice that the recent Silent Hill series has reached TPB status already - has anyone read it? If so, is it any good? I'm tempted, but the artwork has put me off every time I've looked at it. It looks like it's trying to be 30 days of night, but doesn't quite get away with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

Just read issue 3 of Grendel Batman. It had never been opened before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jared almasy

im reading a few online but physically im reading the entire series of chobits that i got a lend off my friend, i may buy them myself but im a bit strapped for cash at the moment

Picked up a few trade paperbacks over the weekend in Other Realms and have been pleasantly surprised by them:

Mortal Souls by Steven Grant - I saw this in the Avatar promo book from last year's Free Comic Book day. It's quite hard to describe without spoiling some of the book, but essentially if you like any of Warren Ellis's stuff on Avatar (Strange Kisses/Strange Killings) you'll most likely enjoy this. More info here.

Heaven's War by Micah Harris (on Image Comics) - picked this up on a chance, and really enjoyed it. It's a tale of celestial good versus evil, with Aleister Crowley attempting to influence the angelic battle that leads to Satan's Fall, and a few members of the Inklings (a literary discussion group including CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien) struggling to stop him. It includes about 15 pages of annotations at the end which explain some of the story in further detail. Can't find any direct info about it online though.

Table For One by Bosch Fawstin - Independent comic that I picked up because I liked the cover art. It's very well written and has a compelling central character, sparkling dialogue and good artwork. Definitely worth a look if you like indie stuff. More info here.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote:
    It's a tale of celestial good versus evil, with Aleister Crowley attempting to influence the angelic battle that leads to Satan's Fall, and a few members of the Inklings (a literary discussion group including CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien) struggling to stop him.
    That reminds me of league of extraodinary gentlemen, which is what I'm reading now. The start was boring, but seems to be picking up now.

Finished league of extroadinary gentlemen, good book. Don't think though it's a masterpiece like so many people proclaim.

Next up, hellboy: volume 1

just finished issue #1 of a new series following up evil dead 3

just finished issue #1 of a new series following up evil dead 3

Is that "Ashes to ashes" by any chance? Saw it in Other Realms but wasn't impressed by the idea...any good?

Over the weekend I've read "Technopriests book 1 : Initiation" on the new DC/Humanoids imprint, and it was really cool. Fantastic art, although from the few issues of Metal Hurlant I've seen I was expecting that - but also a fabulously engrossing and detailed story. Essentially it's this century-old character telling us his life story, how he was conceived of a holy virgin being raped and manages to get accepted as a trainee game maker in the Technoguild (a religion that worships technology and makes virtual reality games for all members across the many galaxies that the technoempire spans). Along the way we also see the history of his mother and twin brother and sister. Definitely worth a look if you want space-based sci-fi with a difference.

Also found out that Freakshow is currently on hiatus because it's been taken up for UK and US distribution, so they'll be reissuing them with new covers and artwork next month apparently. This incidentally means that my copies of the original print run are suddenly going to rise in value :D. Also ascertained that, although MBleh! is sadly defunct, Bob Byrne is apparently working on a full-blown graphic novel at the moment (it's great what you can find out from the guy in Sub City in Galway :) - apparently those involved in the above comics frequent the Dublin branch quite often...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Finished From Hell. Desperately bleak, but excellent. It's got whores, top hats and Freemasons, surely a winning combination?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Was naughty and read through the first two parts ("Books") of V for Vendetta.

Jesus fscking Christ, what a book. Brilliantly detailed artwork - thinking of right before when the cop punched the other one, and right before V jumps on the train...the glimpse one of the characters gets right before the train enters the tunnel: you'd almost think that it was a rag in the wind. Perfect, considering the tiny panels.

Can't wait to finish it :D

I assume this was originally released in parts, yeah? (:o )

Bought my first comic since oooh 1995 last month: Empire by Mark Waid. Read the first issue last year, but missed the rest. Well recommended, even though the sci-fi bits in the final third are a bit unnecessary, they don't detract from the story too much.

Trying to get my hands on hardback Planetary trades ATM.

Fysh wrote:
    Is that "Ashes to ashes" by any chance? Saw it in Other Realms but wasn't impressed by the idea...any good?

yeh it is, its pretty good so far. its full of campbells wit and a few cool twists. waiting for part 2

Thought I'd revive this thread with my current reading material:

Ocean #1 & #2 - The start of a 6 part miniseries written by Warren Ellis and illustrated by Chris Sprouse, set in a future not unlike Transmetropolitan's world. A UN Special Weapons Investigator is sent to Jupiter's moon Europa, where a research satellite has discovered the first liquid ocean in our galaxy, along with signs of life...(Published by Wildstorm)

Iron Man : Extremis #1 - Also written by Waren Ellis (in all honesty, the only reason I picked it up) and illustrated by Adi Granov. This seems to be another starting-over of the Iron Man series, and it looks like Ellis may turn Iron Man into the character I always thought he should be (ie far more reminiscent of the way he was presented at the beginning of Heroes Reborn). (Published by Marvel, obviously)

The Courtyard #1 - Alan Moore's title from a while ago, I only just got around to picking up the first issue because I hadn't twigged that it was a Lovecraftian-type tale. It's a damn fine first half of a story, although you need to have read a fair bit of Lovecraft's work (or at least be familiar with it) to pull together all the strings that are dangling through the story. I'm now wondering where I'm going to get the second issue, if it's even out yet (Avatar's site being somewhat unhelpful on the topic, although I surmise from the fact that a TPB is coming out that the second issue should have been released somewhere).

I'm now looking to get the next Strange Killings trade paperback (Strong Medicine) and the Scars trade paperback. Either Avatar is falling way behind on supplying them to stores or Other Realms are being crappy and slow at getting them in stock - has anyone seen either of these in stores?

...and some more stuff I bought over the weekend:

Mega City 909 issues #1-3 - Futuristic series about a world where humans are implanted with emotion surpressants at birth to prevent war and violence, and the actions of the Phobia team. Phobia are a special tactics squad who are called in whenever Pulses are present - Pulses being demons who can possess people and bring out their latent violent urges. Pretty nifty story so far, and the artwork is strong.

Y The Last man : Unmanned - Finally got around to picking up the first book of this, and it's pretty good. The storyline and characters are interesting, and the art, while not exactly revolutionary, works quite well to tell the story - it's similar to (although better than, imo) Steve Dillon's artwork.

I forgot to post a while ago, but I also picked up a fantagraphics book in a second hand shop in town, called The Island Of Dr. Moral - ostensibly about the titular island, where all sorts of weird things happen, this is more a playful exploration of a subconscious world created as a result of a child's puritan upbringing and resultant sexual repression. But that sounds far too serious - the book flows as a series of interconnected one-page strips. There are jokes, puns and silliness all over the place, but also some interesting ideas in terms of story and visual representation. Worth a look if you enjoy stuff like Jimmy Corrigan etc, although its only weakness is that it is only 48 pages long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Hardback edition of the The Ultimates (1-13) back home waiting for me

/does dance :D

Advertisement