Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STI Clinics in Ireland (list in first post updated 10/08/2010)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

How much does the full check up in James cost does anybody know? For a female?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think they are free, but phone them, I'm sure they'll tell you.

How bad are genital warts? From what i have read there is no cure. So once u get them removed they will keep coming back even if u dont sleep with anyone? What is the story with getting them removed. Appointment for doc next tues but jus wondering if anyone has had them or got it done thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

While once you have got gential warts you will have the Human paplova virus HPV for life. That does not mean you will kepp getting warts once they clear up.

If you don't get a reacurence of warts within the next 12 months after them being removed you maybe lucky and not get an outbreak of them again.

But you will still have HPV but you can't transmit it unless you have warts. So always keep a check on yourself to see if you develop them again.

Also make sure you get regular smear tests as it can increase your risk of cancer

Could anyone recommend which they feel is the best/helpful/quick to visit STI clinic in the Dublin area?

• Advertisement

In response to PSI (the original poster on this board) -- [I admit that I didn't have time to read EVERY post!].. here's my take:

You can offer free condoms, show all the ads about STIs, and put all the AIDS victims in front of a certain contingent of society. They will still not use condoms if offered the chance of having sex. It's in someone's culture/paradigm or it isn't to be safe or not... same goes when it comes to all those ads from the National Safety Council about speeding [has it slowed down fast drivers? Quick answer is no it hasn't].

So basically my point is: There is very little you can do to change those statistics, and they are going to get worse so long as people are having sex with as many people as they are texting each other... if they're all knocking around, they're going to get some wart/rash/soreness/peeing problem of some kind eventually..... sorry for the graphical bluntness here but these are most popular symptoms not in any particular order. The only way nowadays to be sure to avoid such a catasrophe [and it is to get an STI - I see and hear about this all the time], is to either abstain altogether and do things the way our parents did and wait until you get married, or, make sure you know the bloody person first before you hop into the sack with them! [Some thing that a lot of folks skip unfortunately...] And the STI then leads to psychological problems and feelings of low morale, guilt, and in some cases a total loss of confidence.

Criticism from all welcome.....

A confused yet informed City Centre GP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Major announcement

The STI clinic in James Hospital has started a walk in clinic.

However it is limited to

Thursday :1:30pm onwards
    Friday: 9:00am onwards

It is a first come, first served, and there is normally a limit of about 50 - and you must get there early. I was there for a check up (never too careful) and all 50 places were gone on Friday morning by 8:35am

But also get ready to wait, and bring a book - but I have to say they are exceptionally nice people there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

In fact you can no longer make an appointment in St. James, it's walk in only. You have to be there at 8am to get a ticket and then the clinic doesn't start til 1am...

Anybody got experience in the Mater clinic?

went through the gruelling ordeal of getting tested today at james'. Booked an appointment 2 months ago, which only allows you to be seen on the day. You take a ticket and wait 3-4 hours to be seen, then once through you get the eye of your penis scraped by a female doctor, blood taken, and urine sample given. Then, wait for it, you only get a phone call in 2-3 weeks if they have bad news. How bloody stupid is that? I'm going to be terrified every time my phone starts ringing in the coming weeks! Shocked at the system!!!!

this happened me, and i passed the 2 week mark and was all happy thinking i was grand, and then two days later i got a letter saying that i did have a treatable infection. had to make another appointment just to find out what it was and pick up treatment. then a follow up appointment to make sure it was gone. it was hassle. theres no need for it. use condoms.

Went for a test to know for sure all was ok. that was 5 weeks ago with no word since so I'd guess all is indeed, ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Apparantely theres a lab in Beaumont to get tested also...in my case it looks like I bear the wonderful hallmarks of chlamydia! Anyone got any info on the lab in Beaumont? Procedure, cost etc. Thanks:) :)

Anyone know of a place thats free where you can get tested for sti's outside office hours? i have no money and no holidays to take from work so i cant make it to the st. jame's middle of the day hours...

also whats the situation when giving your name at st. james before you get tested? is it possible to give a fake name? because i'd rather not, if im found to have some sti's, have it on my medical record....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

theCzar wrote:
    Went for a test to know for sure all was ok. that was 5 weeks ago with no word since so I'd guess all is indeed, ok.

Did you go back and get the results? I think you're supposed to.

Evil Phil wrote:
    Did you go back and get the results? I think you're supposed to.

I rang them up, and was told I would defo have been called if there was a problem, so after I confirmed they had my number right, I considered myself in the clear.

I am delighted that someone has posted a thread on this matter and i am surprised at the amount of interest on this topic. I agree that the whole Sex education classes given in school where of no good, from what i remember is my religion teacher talking rather uncomfortably about Sex and it lasted for about 20mins with no mention of the dangers of STI´S OR STD´S. just to wear a condom.

The dangers of STI´S i think is so brushed under the carpet that even the mention of the topic causes people to blush and ignore it.

Just a little over a year ago I was Raped and was a virgin, not only did i have the trauma of the Rape i also had to go to St.James to get all checked out which took two trips and endless hours of waiting . I have to say that the staff where very nice and helpfull but nothing helps you when your waiting around for results to come through. In the end i was told that he had given me Herpes, although i know it is not the worst thing that i could have gotten, it is still something that i got.

I dont think that there is enough information about STI´S and STD´s out there as i hadnt a clue what Herpes was until i was told i had got it and i am still very unsure of its results. I know that it is infectious and that it does lie dormant with the possibility that it will recour, which it hasnt so far which is great, but what about the future?

Now if i do have any partners in the future they are at risk of catching this and if you are raped you just want to put it behind you, but how can you when you catch something off that person!

Does anybody know anything more about Herpes?

St james Hospital- link to GUIDE
    http://www.guide2guide.ie/whatis.html

i think this is a very sad thread to read because of the pressure people are putting themselves under. if you have a long term partner and a good relationship great. however if you are sleeping around with or without condoms you are crazzy. to me it reads like this: slept with person, worry am i preg worry have i caught something better get tested and so on. People need to exercise self control and say hang on is this moment of bliss really worth the stress? Am i being stupid when i drink? what do i need to do to stop this stupidity? i have friends who have lovely kids but they threw their lives away because of stupidity one is in custody battle another is working to keep partner (a bum) and kid. I empathise with their situations but it don't just happen. when you CHOOSE to have sex randomly you automatically choose to expose yourself to risks of infection, pregnancy. Would it be so bad not to have sex until u find true love. A friend came to me a few yrs ago and said 'what'll i do the condom ripped' I said go to doc she was sick after pill & moaned all day 2me and i just said look girl you did it you deal with it . You have to take responsibility for your actions GIRLS! go buy a vibrator

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if thats what this thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

any wrote:
    to me it reads like this: slept with person, worry am i preg worry have i caught something better get tested and so on.

Great anecdote about your friend but maybe you should actually read what the thread's about rather than what you think it maybe might be about. It is not what you think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sunshiney

does anybody know of anywhere that does actually give out free condoms,

I've heard that you can buy boxes of 12 for €3 in UCD but i havent gone out to see.

Also now that James only do walk in clinics (i work and can only take an hour off so I won't be able do the waiting for hours thing) does anybody know anywhere in the dublin area that does free testing by appointment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

sunshiney wrote:
    does anybody know of anywhere that does actually give out free condoms,

I've heard that you can buy boxes of 12 for €3 in UCD but i havent gone out to see.

Also now that James only do walk in clinics (i work and can only take an hour off so I won't be able do the waiting for hours thing) does anybody know anywhere in the dublin area that does free testing by appointment?

Free condoms - http://www.outhouse.ie/

STI Testing - http://erha.healthnet.ie/view_categories.php?nCatId=384

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Eilis O'Regan

Health Correspondent

A DRAMATIC 12pc increase in reported cases of sexually transmitted diseases still does not reflect the true extent of the problem, an expert has warned.

Dr Susan Clarke, a consultant in infectious diseases at St James's Hospital in Dublin, said even allowing for the rise, the figures represent a "dramatic underestimation" of the problem. Dr Clarke said it was "criminal" that a better service is not being provided.

St James's Hospital in Dublin operates the only large clinic for treatment of these diseases in the country and it is "swamped". If people are not treated promptly they run the risk of infecting several other people while they are waiting for an appointment, she added.

The Mater hospital also has one clinic a week and it is very short-staffed, she claimed.

Interesting read....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Any

Has anyone been in Mater Misericordiae Hospital.What situation is in that clinic?Is it walk in service or appointments?

Thank you for all ye're information, me and my boyfriend are trying to decide whether to get tested and ye answered some important questions that will def help us make the decision.

I cant believe some people are "deciding about whether to get tested or not". Clamydia (how do you spell it) is so common, the worst thing about it is that it can seriously affect your fertility if untreated for years, but its a simple thing to get rid of (just a few tablets).

We get our cars NCT'd, we go to dentists and doctors, we even spend loads of moola on silly false tan. Your sexual health is very very important, and its not a taboo subject. The people in the clinics are very helpful and nice, they deal with 100s of people a week in James Hospital alone.

I have been trying to convince a friend of mine to go but he is having none of it, I just hope he doesnt regret in years to come.

can a doctor do any tests for STD's or do you have to go to a clinic???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

the dr can't preform the tests you have to go to a clinc.

You can also get fully tested by going to a consultant, but its pricey at about 260 euro. Plus side is you get an appointment so no waiting for 4 hours in the public clinic and also get results back in a day or two.

I did this last year, yeah a lot of money but I dont have the patience to queue and sit for hours to be called and having to take half a day off work for it. I did go into the public testing centre and was there at 7.30am took a ticket, then some nurse comes out to tell everyone to go and get some coffee as they wont start calling people until 9am. Feck that.

The consultant was also based in James hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Thaedydal wrote:
    the dr can't preform the tests you have to go to a clinc.

i had an incident a few years back and well, i had to go to the rotunda and gets tests but also my doctor did do the tests for me too. i dont know if that was just a special case cuz of what happened or what but maybe some docs do and some dont.. maybe just ask if your in the position to

• Advertisement

I was wondering how you would go about getting tested privately, I don't mind how much I have to pay at this stage I just need to know the quicker the better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement