Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Faugheen wrote: »
    I've seen you say this before about Ocon but I'm 95% sure he's been released from Mercedes.

The only drivers they have in F1 and feeder series are Russell and Vesti in F3

That was my understanding when he went to Renault too. But I heard Joe Saward say Mercedes still has options on him. So it might just mean the Mercedes has an option at the end of each contract or it might mean his Renault Contract can be broken IF Mercedes offer him a seat.

Joe was pretty sure that Wolff rates him and Mercedes have kept some kind of options open with him. So he's not a Mercedes driver like Russell, but he's still a Mercedes man and is high in their depth chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Just saw this on reddit, the speed difference when Gasly enters the slipstream of the ferrari

https://vimeo.com/562078507

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭barryribs

Marginally beaten by an aging Massa in his first season. Marginally beat pay driver and an absolute nobody Sirotkin in his second and beaten out the gate by perez in the next 2 seasons.

In fairness, he was barely 18 when he came into Williams and he beat the brakes off Sirotkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

duploelabs wrote:
    Just saw this on reddit, the speed difference when Gasly enters the slipstream of the ferrari

Jesus that's mad, I assume the engine reving is from the slipstream itself, and not him?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Jesus that's mad, I assume the engine reving is from the slipstream itself, and not him?

Yeah, it's the engines ability to rev higher because of that air pocket, but out of it, the drag is so severe at that speed that the engine can't keep up

• Advertisement

barryribs wrote: »
    In fairness, he was barely 18 when he came into Williams and he beat the brakes off Sirotkin.

Yeah he did but how highly did you rate Sirotkin?

Also, he beat Sirotkin but I'm not sure about "beat the brakes off sirotkin. Sirotkin won the quali battle 13-8 stroll won the race result battle 9-8 and scored 6 points to Sirotkin's 1. No doubt that he won the battle against Sirotkin.

If you calss that as Sirotkin having his brakes beaten off then how do you class Stroll's beating at the hands of Perez over the last 2 seasons?

duploelabs wrote: »
    Yeah, it's the engines ability to rev higher because of that air pocket, but out of it, the drag is so severe at that speed that the engine can't keep up

Could you explain that a bit more?
    I heard the engine tone change but didn't get why.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Could you explain that a bit more?
    I heard the engine tone change but didn't get why.

a vacuum is created behind a car, due to the efficiency of its aerodynamics, this is very clean air, with little or no wind resistance, so another car following gets effectively a vacuum tow, this is an extremely good example of this process

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    a vacuum is created behind a car, due to the efficiency of its aerodynamics, this is very clean air, with little or no wind resistance, so another car following gets effectively a vacuum tow, this is an extremely good example of this process

How does that affect the engine revs? Or is it just because there is less resistance that the engine can rev faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Exactly. Less wind resistance so engine can rev faster.

Anyone who has done a bit of cycling can tell you just how effective slipstream is, and at the speeds involved here it's a huge advantage. Makes for more exciting racing and easier overtakes too imo. If only we still had the old Hockenheim with the extremely long straights through the forest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How does that affect the engine revs? Or is it just because there is less resistance that the engine can rev faster?

Same gear, higher speed so revs will be higher, simple as that.... revs are locked in to a set ratio v speed in any particular gear.
    Whether the speed increase is caused by reduced air resistance fron a tow or from drs or from a battery or turbo boost, revs will increase in line with speed in a fixed ratio.
    Its just very noticeable when jumping in behind another car but similarly noticeable when drs opens but the speed build is not so sudden in the case of drs.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭barryribs

Yeah he did but how highly did you rate Sirotkin?

Also, he beat Sirotkin but I'm not sure about "beat the brakes off sirotkin. Sirotkin won the quali battle 13-8 stroll won the race result battle 9-8 and scored 6 points to Sirotkin's 1. No doubt that he won the battle against Sirotkin.

If you calss that as Sirotkin having his brakes beaten off then how do you class Stroll's beating at the hands of Perez over the last 2 seasons?

I don't rate him highly at all, Strolls race pace was miles ahead of Sirotkin and this was borne out in the points return.

barryribs wrote: »
    I don't rate him highly at all, Strolls race pace was miles ahead of Sirotkin and this was borne out in the points return.

OK so he beat one of his three teammates. And you don't rate the teammate he beat. Its not evidence that he's a good driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Stroll is clearly better than hulkenberg.
    #unsubscribetillnextracelol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

People forget Stroll spent 2 seasons in F3 prior to jumping into F1 , In his first season he finished 4th or 5th behind Leclerc and a head of Russell , in his second season in F3 he pretty much laid waste to the field again ahead of Russell by some margin. He did join F1 way too early but he is a standard that should be the here. The money does taint him and seems to help in dismissing him. Lando Norris is from similar money but it never gets mentioned . He is not even close what Mazepin or latifi are . He even showed he has some decent talent in the wet. His pole last year was excellent . His race craft has come on a leap this year as well as he seems much smoother over talking .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The Jordan 191 driven by Michael Schumacher is up for sale.

1991-Ford-Jordan-191-Ford-Cosworth-HB--169Gallery-d4866b0-1803129.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Jordan 199 wrote: »

How many boardsies are there? All chip in €50?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭kksaints

Jordan 199 wrote: »

What's the asking price?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

kksaints wrote: »
    What's the asking price?

£1.25m. Comes with a Cosworth HB motor the team used in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Hijpo

antodeco wrote: »
    How many boardsies are there? All chip in €50?
    Thats insane, compared to the cars now you would wonder how the f**k is that aerodynamic??

If it was 100 from interested parties I would go for it never mind 50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Marginally beaten by an aging Massa in his first season. Marginally beat pay driver and an absolute nobody Sirotkin in his second and beaten out the gate by perez in the next 2 seasons.

Not marginally beaten, well beaten. He got a podium in a race that Massa was set to win but for a mechanical. As a result the points difference was close.

Lance has graduated from being slow-as-f*ck to merely below average.

Not marginally beaten, well beaten. He got a podium in a race that Massa was set to win but for a mechanical. As a result the points difference was close.

Lance has graduated from being slow-as-f*ck to merely below average.
    Fair analysis. He's in the average range.
    In the same way that Vettel was good in the last 2 races, Stroll was poor in those weekends. Granted he might have scored points if not for the tyre failure in Baku.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah Lance is middling which is fine, you could argue he'd have a right to be there on merit. People bash him and his family but to be honest he seems like a likeable enough guy. His father rescued a team that may have gone bust and offered Williams a fair partnership deal also, they've had a positive influence on the sport imo. A hell of a lot better than Mazepin at least.

What are peoples opinions on the French GP? Many seem to think it's the most boring of the year, is it a guaranteed stinker or worth a watch?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah Lance is middling which is fine, you could argue he'd have a right to be there on merit. People bash him and his family but to be honest he seems like a likeable enough guy. His father rescued a team that may have gone bust and offered Williams a fair partnership deal also, they've had a positive influence on the sport imo. A hell of a lot better than Mazepin at least.

What are peoples opinions on the French GP? Many seem to think it's the most boring of the year, is it a guaranteed stinker or worth a watch?

France is up there with Monaco as the worst races.

I find the hate for Mazepin interesting. I think it comes back to an inherent distrust of Russia.the outrage at the Russian flag car design was totally disproportionate. Feeling up young wans and punching rivals were top banter if Senna did it.

In any case. When Mazepin has been there for 5 years. Like Stroll, then this conversation will have moved into the "he's there on merit" phase too - as long as his bottle doesn't go.

France is up there with Monaco as the worst races.

I find the hate for Mazepin interesting. I think it comes back to an inherent distrust of Russia.the outrage at the Russian flag car design was totally disproportionate. Feeling up young wans and punching rivals were top banter if Senna did it.

In any case. When Mazepin has been there for 5 years. Like Stroll, then this conversation will have moved into the "he's there on merit" phase too - as long as his bottle doesn't go.
    The difference is that Senna could actually drive an F1 car

SO if Mazepin was fast then feeling up young wans and punching rivals would be top banter?

All those outrages were before he had turned an F1 wheel. The flag one in particular was totally over the top. Like, its a flag livery design, so what? But the outrage was proportionate to if he had painted a big "fcuk you" on the side of the car. It was just a national flag.

I don't really care one way or the other. He's one of the least consequential drivers on the grid at the moment, tends to drive around on his own at the back or a few seconds away from Schumacher,.

Ah hook, line and sinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How do people still fall for it :pac:

SO if Mazepin was fast then feeling up young wans and punching rivals would be top banter?

All those outrages were before he had turned an F1 wheel. The flag one in particular was totally over the top. Like, its a flag livery design, so what? But the outrage was proportionate to if he had painted a big "fcuk you" on the side of the car. It was just a national flag.

The flag is banned due to " a Court of Arbitration for Sport ruling from December which barred Russia’s name, flag, anthem and other national symbols in a package of sanctions over what it deemed Russia’s failure to turn over accurate data from the Moscow drug-testing laboratory. "

not because any sensitivities, actual global sport law.

He shouldn't be on the grid and has caused a serious disproportionate amount of incidences that could lead to something very serious, I'm surprised that he's actually passed his super license

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't really care one way or the other. He's one of the least consequential drivers on the grid at the moment, tends to drive around on his own at the back or a few seconds away from Schumacher,.

The flag livery is a big fúck you...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement