Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Quick detailer does have protectant properties.

It all depends on various factors:

1. What's in the bird crap
    2. Whether or not the panel was hot beforehand
    3. Whether or not and now long the bird crap was baking into the paint in direct sunlight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Thanks again. Panel was probably hot. And because it was on the far side of the car I didn't notice it for a day or two after it happened so had enough time to bake in.

garo wrote: »
    Thanks again. Panel was probably hot. And because it was on the far side of the car I didn't notice it for a day or two after it happened so had enough time to bake in.

That's what happens. Every morning I take a walk around my car to check for bird crap and remove it asap. Usually I'm up early enough to catch it in time. I do have marks in the lacquer from it though which I need to polish out. Having the car in the golf club car park isn't ideal when you're on the course for hours doesn't help the situation!

I am usually good at removing bird poop as soon as I find it but this time got unlucky. And the compositionmust have been particularly nasty this time round. I live close to the coast so we get lots of visitors unfortunately. I am half considering getting some sort of cover for the car. But that's probably going to mark the paint so not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭traco

I'm not a detailing expert like some here but was doing a brake job on the car soe removed the wheels for a through wash and Gyeon dressing. Snow foam, and two bucket wash. DIdn't dry it as I won this Auto Glym Aqua wax that you apply while the car is wet. Thought I'd try it and it did a decent job for not much effort. I'd use it again and its handy for a quick freshen up. The car is pretty clean anyway but I think I should do a proper decontamination and then a coat of soft 99.

Grey isn't the easist to see a nice glossy finish on but it came up well for 18 years old.

51233689843_c9b9a74e64_c.jpg

51233478271_742c20eaf9_c.jpg

51234546415_85565427d9_c.jpg

I've had to remove several bird craps over the weekend. I find a good way is folded up bog roll or paper towel. Make it into a thick pad. Place on the crap and pour water on it so its staurated. leave sit for 10-20 mins and then gently pinch it up. Don't rub. This lifts the bulk then rinse the rest with lots of water. Hasn't left any marks and no swirls once there is no rubbing. Also used to do similar for bugs on the visor of the helmet. The wet pad lets teh water soak in so its soft and will just wash a wa

• Advertisement

garo wrote: »
    I am usually good at removing bird poop as soon as I find it but this time got unlucky. And the compositionmust have been particularly nasty this time round. I live close to the coast so we get lots of visitors unfortunately. I am half considering getting some sort of cover for the car. But that's probably going to mark the paint so not a good idea.

I'm getting a car port built soon which will span the width of the back of my house so the bird crap will be kept to a minimum as far as the car is concerned.

It will also help keep the rain and sun off the car to help with detailing.

Wonder what the Mrs. would say about a gazebo in the driveway :D

I'm getting a car port built soon which will span the width of the back of my house so the bird crap will be kept to a minimum as far as the car is concerned.

It will also help keep the rain and sun off the car to help with detailing.

Mind they don't start nesting up underneath it! The like nice ready made dry secure places

traco wrote: »
    Mind they don't start nesting up underneath it! The like nice ready made dry secure places

I have that in mind. I'm going to have the whole underside of it flat with nowhere for them to nest. Hopefully it'll work out as well in reality as it does in my head :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I have that in mind. I'm going to have the whole underside of it flat with nowhere for them to nest. Hopefully it'll work out as well in reality as it does in my head :pac:

The wash bay in my old just used to have netting on the ceiling to keep the birds out of the roof, of course the clever feckers just ripped it and nested up there anyway.
    They'd be ****ting on the cars as they were being washed. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah I was thinking of scaffolding debris netting. It's tough and hopefully the feckers won't be able to tear it.

Seriously!!! Driving to office this moning and dive bombed by a flying elephant that must have been on a Gunness bender since the pubs started serving on Monday!! Seondary impacts all over the windscreen that the camera doesn't really pick up. Surprised i don't need a panel beater for the inital hit. Any detail suppliers selling shotguns - think I'll get one with my next order of products.

51237568241_9dedf788b8_c.jpg

It's an absolute scurge! I had 2 on my car this morning but thankfully I hadn't left my house before discovering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've two swallows nesting above the roller door in the garage. Thankfully they dont go any further into the garage bombing the motorhome. The problem is they sit on the overhead fibre line that runs into the gable of the house, directly over where the cars park.

I've given up cleaning the dive bombing and just moved the cars......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

here's a really odd question, I've an appointment with a place to get a quote for a ceramic coating tomorrow. The car hasn't been washed in about 2 months due to me not leaving the house much and the abysmal weather we've been having. Do you think it'd be rude to rock up with a filthy car? It's mostly brake dust, and dirt dust from living on a new build estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

here's a really odd question, I've an appointment with a place to get a quote for a ceramic coating tomorrow. The car hasn't been washed in about 2 months due to me not leaving the house much and the abysmal weather we've been having. Do you think it'd be rude to rock up with a filthy car? It's mostly brake dust, and dirt dust from living on a new build estate?

Probably makes no difference as they will strip it all back anyway, but if it was me at a minimum I would power wash it so they can better see what they are dealing with in terms of paint correction. Also just common courtesy!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Probably makes no difference as they will strip it all back anyway, but if it was me at a minimum I would power wash it so they can better see what they are dealing with in terms of paint correction. Also just common courtesy!

totally get it, will power wash it tonight, thanks.

I guess you wouldn't cut your hair before a barbers visit but a shampoo and brush is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Hi. Whats a good product for hand washing a car , to remove grime,dead flies etc ? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

To remove the heavy dirt I use gtechniq w5 citrus cleaner as a pre cleaner with a pump sprayer. It's brilliant stuff. You would still need to use snow foam and 2 bucket wash after to do a proper job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Heavy tar removal, petrol seems to be the only thing that shifts it or is there a better way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Heavy tar removal, petrol seems to be the only thing that shifts it or is there a better way?

people here recently were saying Vasco but I have never used it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Get some vasco,spray on and leave over night, rinse off job done

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Get some vasco,spray on and leave over night, rinse off job done

It's not advisable to do this if the car is out in the open as this will just dry it up. If doing this, the car needs to be in a garage where there's no wind hitting the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's not advisable to do this if the car is out in the open as this will just dry it up. If doing this, the car needs to be in a garage where there's no wind hitting the car.

Your right, I should have added that but that's what I tend to do for cars with a lot of tar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Hmmmmm, that'll be an issue then.

I think you can do it outside (but not in direct sunlight) but only leave for 30 - 45 mins rather than all night.

Just do your best to not let it dry out. It's a gel based formula so it won't dry out as quickly as a watery product.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Could always wrap it in clingfilm if you need to leave it on for a while and you're worried about it drying out. People do it all the time with gel-based rust inhibitors and rust converters.

Good point but it would be hella messy!

• Advertisement

Back to bird poop, I parked beside a lovely Blue Golf R in work yesterday, when I came out at lunch time his bonnet had been COVERED with ****e, so much though that it splashed over to my drivers side.
    Sacrificed some eating time for some power washing time.

Advertisement