Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Picked this up today but haven't tried it. Batch no. is 200421 so quite like roasted on 20 April 2021 I guess. €4 for 227g - they do a ground and whole bean of a Guatemalan and Brazilian blend

Tried the Brady's from LIDL - it's nice, decent, if unremarkable but tbh there have been a couple of "meh" beans in the last few badger & dodo subs which I would put in the same ballpark so could definitely see myself buying this if low on beans or now and again. €17.60 per kg so a good price point. A good solid drinkable coffee to me, on the chocolatey side. Might work better as espresso as it's what I'd class as a medium-dark roast (I'm using a clever)

Good to see an Irish business doing well anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Sounds like it's worth a try

Sounds like it's worth a try

As it's a new product line I may have got v lucky with the roast date being reasonable and not sure that will continue going forward and may affect things, and I imagine there may be some variability if beans change over time too.

Definitely worth a try - it definitely wasn't awful and I'd put it above the Aldi Velo tandem for example.

Oh really, better than Tandem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Anyone get that Yemeni SO cloudpicker released to raise money for UNICEF? Just opened it there and it's cracking. Right up my street.

• Advertisement

Oh really, better than Tandem?

I thought so but I'm really not a fan of the Tandem tbh so don't go by that. I really like Velo's other stuff, but not the tandem.
    Still haven't tried the Dunnes BMX so must give that a shot.

I really like the Tandem in the FP, especially at 1 Litre plus volumes

not a fan of it in Aero or other smalller methods really

I was just in Driftwood in Finglas, they have bags of Upside Burundi with a date of 12/05 on them. I didn't pick one up because I've just opened a couple of bags of B&D, but someone might be interested

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was just in Driftwood in Finglas, they have bags of Upside Burundi with a date of 12/05 on them. I didn't pick one up because I've just opened a couple of bags of B&D, but someone might be interested

This guy. I've to pop into the bike shop there too so 2for1

Anyway my good bean order arrived on my desk at work this morn. 1 roasted on Wednesday, 2 last Friday and another is about 3 weeks ago so no complaints there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

I got some free bags of Velo Tandem with my new Sage DTP. Wasn't particularly impressed. Moved quickly to the PS Roasters range and they were significantly better. Bought the Velo BMX in Dunnes recently and on that now. Won't be buying it again.
    It's fine but life's too short...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Finally got around to roasting some of the natural Myanmar Catuai. I went a little darker than I normally would, but even just 24 hours later, it's an incredible cup. It's like a chocolaty version of an Ethiopian natural. Never tasted anything quite the same. Definitely one to look out for if you like natural processed coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've had some of Soma's stuff, they're great roasters. Should be interesting to see how it works out.

It's good to see things move towards a more accessible market

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

it's white label lavazza

Scroll down here

I've been wanting an electric gooseneck variable temp kettle for ages and think it's time as a birthday treat. It would open up trying a V60 etc. to me, but at the moment I only use a clever dripper so maybe I won't notice any upgrade until I move to pour over?

Any recommendations? Looking at the Fellow stagg but a cheaper option would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've been wanting an electric gooseneck variable temp kettle for ages and think it's time as a birthday treat. It would open up trying a V60 etc. to me, but at the moment I only use a clever dripper so maybe I won't notice any upgrade until I move to pour over?

Any recommendations? Looking at the Fellow stagg but a cheaper option would be nice!

Bonavita sometimes pops up on sale some places, or else just go with a standard gooseneck and a thermometer. I've one of the electric Hario v60 kettles and the thermometer lid (that I managed to get cheap on eBay), but any digital thermometer with a nice display would work

Picked up a bag of Viking Blend by Coffe House Lane in the Grow with Ireland Aldi specials - €5 for 227g. They also had their 1690 blend there.

Production date looks to be 28th May from the batch code. There was another Irish brand there but the roast date was 16th Feb so left it.

Picked up a bag of Viking Blend by Coffe House Lane in the Grow with Ireland Aldi specials - €5 for 227g. They also had their 1690 blend there.

Production date looks to be 28th May from the batch code. There was another Irish brand there but the roast date was 16th Feb so left it.

They're not too bad. I used to pick up 3 bags for 10 from their stall at bloom

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Won't make a difference for clever as there is no need for flow control. Also, a plain gooseneck pot will do the job just fine for V60. Enough to pour boiling water in, use a thermometer and a timer to see how long it takes to drop to the desired temperature the first time and then just reproduce the volume and time moving forward. With my setup it takes 25 seconds for 0.5l of boiling water to drop down to 94 degrees in the pot. And the pot was like 10 euro.

• Advertisement

Giving creed on Pearse street my business when I do want to buy a coffee now. 2.50 for a filter is a good price certainly better than others, and it's a nice cup too..

Helps that I'm literally beside them, but was always hmming over walking to 3fe or Cloud picker

2.50 for filter is a great price in fairness! Have you tried their beans at all?

I havn't. they chrage a bit more in store I think than online, but the filter was this I think

https://creedcoffeeroasters.ie/product/kenya-kariaini-aa/

My mrs brought home some of this stuff from Aldi yesterday

Link

Blake's Culture Blend - BB Feb 2022 so roasted a good 4 months ago, but that's not the worst part.

The front of the bag is fine

Peruvian and Indonesian whole-bean coffee, blended to perfection to create a full bodied rich smooth taste with a hint of fruitiness

all good, sounds ok if not a bit generic on the descriptors.

But on the back! I'll break this paragraph up into it's component parts, and give a commentary on each part if you don't mind.

A blend of three beans - Oh, wonder if it's two peruvian or two indonesian

designed to give the coffee a nice body, with low acidity and a hint of sweetness - sounds ok actually, a bit better than the front description anyway

The main bean variety used is an Arabica bean - Main bean? Main? what?

Sumatra Mandheling Raja Gayo cool, the indo bean is Arabica.

This gives the blend a nice smooth body - right, surely a SO Indo bean is bring more to the party than "smooth body"?

To this we add some Peruvian Arabica HB Grade One, which gives the blend it's sweetness and a hint of fruitiness - no origin statement for the Peruvian at all.

To this we add a small amount of Robusta - aw hell naw

for that extra kick of caffeine - and what flavour profile is the Robusta bringing? no mention of that?

20.5/330ml Clever Dripper, Hoffman Method

Tastes ok, it does have that kind of rich chocolatiness suggested by "body" "sweetness" "rich" and "smooth", the fruitiness is kind of orange peel bitterness in the finish, which almost tips over into acrid (it smells acrid in the bag).

Little bit of cardboard/paper in it too, but I'll put that down to age.

Thanks for taking the hit on that one for us all! :pac:

The Coffee House Lane Aldi blend is grand - a medium dark roast imo so may work better in espresso. Can't taste much of anything in it. Would have the Brady's in LIDL above it for sure.

Good roast date on it though and 100% Arabica from what I can tell!

At the risk of sounding like a shill for Creed, popped in yesterday to get some espresso beans and a filter on my break. Got the house blend which tasted great as a white american this morning using my flair, though my second cup a little while ago was not as good due to user error in the prep.

Anyway, they gave me the filter for free, so likeing that service.

How's the flair going for you? Toying between the Robot and the Flaire at the moment - both look ace!

Flair is mostly excellent. The biggest issue is me. I have a tendency to try lots of new beans and move around so dialling in grind settings on the ZX pro can have a big effect on it.

I enjoy the workflow though it's not for everyone. I heat the chamber on a moka pot base, and the portafilter in the cup I'm using and grind while doing that. Getting the tamp right is nearly the trickiest part and I think it's because of the shape of the portafilter. You can make it uneven easily until you get the knack of it.

I probably didn't need the Pro, just I found a very lightly used one for a little more than Signature. I only intended on getting the neo.

I also have the new Rok, complete with bottomless portafilter and the pressurised filter. Its better if your in a hurry, as there's less faffing, easier to prep and clean, but the extraction just isn't as good and is a bit thinner. Some guy in Korea does a lot of mods for it though.

What I like about them most is that, parts can of course where etc, but I'm not going to be scratching my head in 10-20 years time looking for an electrical part, and they're built like tanks. I had an original Rok that I just sold, and it still worked very well, just the threads for the various screws were wearing so I had to change a few of them

I use it 4-5 days a week (probably 10-15 times a week) so I've no complaints. I still use the V60 a lot when I want something different, and I'm going to soon settle on go to espresso beans and stick with them.

Hadn't even thought of the Rok thanks!

Really helpful thanks for taking the time.
    Weepsie wrote: »

I use it 4-5 days a week (probably 10-15 times a week) so I've no complaints. I still use the V60 a lot when I want something different, and I'm going to soon settle on go to espresso beans and stick with them.

Ah stop, where's the fun and frustration in that! :D:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

anyone rate Bewleys Subriana? had it the other day was nice.

Advertisement