Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Watching 12 Rounds.. so odd seeing Cena and Aidan Gillen on screen together

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Roman's new theme is so good. Suits him perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,762 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I was always under the assumption The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith was a tall guy but in fact he was only 5ft 11, which is not that small but not big either

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I was always under the assumption The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith was a tall guy but in fact he was only 5ft 11, which is not that small but not big either

It's not the size of the British Bulldog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the British Bulldog.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I've wondered for the last year or so why the WWE haven't thrown a huge offer at Jordynne Grace she is everything Vince loves in a male wrestler she has size she is a power lifter and she is a really good looking women and has lots of talent to dominate women's wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've thought the same. I'm surprised they haven't signed her yet. Though maybe they tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Maybe she was made an offer, and she refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I've wondered for the last year or so why the WWE haven't thrown a huge offer at Jordynne Grace she is everything Vince loves in a male wrestler she has size she is a power lifter and she is a really good looking women and has lots of talent to dominate women's wrestling.

She comes across as a pleb who runs her mouth trying to sound clever on certain issues.

Basically a perfect fit so. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

PTH2009 wrote: »

Bulldog's height in an interesting one alright. When he was cutting his teeth apart of the British Bulldogs in the mid to late 80s, he and Dynamite were classed as small guys even though both were gassed out of their gourd :pac: Then again, was the land of Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Warrior, Bundy etc. If you were under 6ft2 you were small.

Fast forward to the new generation and 5ft10 to 6ft was ok. Which was the meat of Bulldogs career as a singles wrestler. Perfectly natural to think he was taller when mixing with the likes of Bret Hart, Michaels, etc.

But here's one to bend your noodle. Accordingly Owen Hart was only 5ft8. Would have pegged him for 6ftish and you just know if he was billed as that he was 5ft7 or 5ft6 barefoot in reality. Here's a picture of Owen at the king of the ring 94 and you can see him wearing your typical "1 inch sole" wrestling boots. Still not as bad as Kane wrestling boot tho :pac:

Watching this weeks 'most wanted Treasures' episode its so odd seeing a fully clean shaved Paul Wight 'aka Big Show'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

just watch that episode and i welled up a few times watching it, there will never be another one like Andre

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

25 years ago tonight stone cold Steve Austin dropped to his knees on Monday night raw and gave savio vega what we all now call a stone cold stunner. It’s amazing to think such a simple move would to this day pop fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And because I got distracted by the Austin anniversary I forgot to post that yesterday was the tenth anniversary of MITB 2011 where cm punk won the title against John cena in front of an amazingly hot crowd in Chicago. The summer of punk was great really. So today is ten years since vince got fired by hhh at the end of raw. Good times and it’s a bad sign when raws from ten years ago are more edgy and aren’t as bland as 2021.

You're mistaken lad. Money In The Bank 2011 was on July 17th 2011.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    You're mistaken lad. Money In The Bank 2011 was on July 17th 2011.

You’re right I was searching the network and I mixed them up. **** I should have looked closer. Well the stuff about the hot crowd in Chicago still stand at least.

An random thought is that arn Anderson was like William regal and was wholly under appreciated in his career. He had an amazing career and could cut a promo which didn’t sound like a promo(which is a complement) unlike the fair city level acting that goes on these days. Listening to his podcast and hearing his approach and his take on psychology for pro wrestling should be required listening for the wrestlers of today outside of wwe.

It’s a shame his long friendship with the nature boy is in a bad way but from what arn said on his podcasts he’s trying to live a negative free life now.

An random thought is that arn Anderson was like William regal and was wholly under appreciated in his career. He had an amazing career and could cut a promo which didn’t sound like a promo(which is a complement) unlike the fair city level acting that goes on these days. Listening to his podcast and hearing his approach and his take on psychology for pro wrestling should be required listening for the wrestlers of today outside of wwe.

It’s a shame his long friendship with the nature boy is in a bad way but from what arn said on his podcasts he’s trying to live a negative free life now.

"Fair City Acting" lol - I like it. Its true cause a lot of people just sound like their reciting some script that the writer gave to them. Which is exactly what is happening lol.

Any particular episode of the podcast you would recommend where ol arn goes into it. Wouldnt mind having a listen myself.

"Fair City Acting" lol - I like it. Its true cause a lot of people just sound like their reciting some script that the writer gave to them. Which is exactly what is happening lol.

Any particular episode of the podcast you would recommend where ol arn goes into it. Wouldnt mind having a listen myself.

Well some of the acting on fair city sounds robotic and some of the promos in wwe sound the same. I mean we saw it when there was the weather delay at mania and they had to cut extra promos on the fly and you could easily tell the wrestlers who had had worked outside of wwe.

Well he’s changed up his podcast and is going back through his life outside and inside the ring and it’s very honest(especially the first episode about his youth), and I think it’s either episode three or four(so two or three episodes ago) where he goes into his process of calling a match in the ring and what signs to look out for. It’s not the whole part but it’s very interesting.

What’s the story with flair and arn nowadays?

TimesArrow wrote: »
    What’s the story with flair and arn nowadays?

Iffy at best it seems. Flair said that arn didn’t contact him after Reid died which ric seems to hold against arn more than others in the horsemen. That’s my impression from remarks flair made on record. It may be okay again but it certainly went in the toilet which was a shame because the two were so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I find people bringing replica title belts to shows a bit weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Omackeral wrote: »

The absolute worst and they always look like most socially inept people. Saw a lad at the AEW fan fest walking around with no less than three replica belts draped around him and he walking around like he owned the place, it was very cringe.

Yeah wearing the replica belts to shows is very cringe.
    There's no harm owning a replica belt. Just another form of merch but don't wear it to a show :o nothing wrong with a kid doing it not a grown man though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Omackeral wrote: »

Only if they're not up for fighting for it imo

I'd dropkick a man for his World Heavyweight Title, I already have one but they're the best looking belt ever so I'd like another one

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/sad-health-update-on-wwe-hall-of-famer-paul-orndorff/

Wouldn't know much about Paul Orndorffs character but very sad seeing him like this

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The NXT UK guys and gals must be sore the morning after being in a main event match

20 years ago tonight the king of the ring 2001 took place and included edge winning the king of the ring tournament against kurt angle. There is also the triple threat main event with Austin vs Jericho vs Benoit where Booker T interfered.

And then we have the match of the night in the street fight between Shane McMahon and kurt angle which is IMO is the best match Shane McMahon ever had in wwe. The spot with the entrance glass not breaking thankfully wasn’t serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Karrion Kross on Main Event sans flashy entrance and Scarlett is hilariously bad. Without the smoke and mirrors this dude literally has nothing else going for him.

Karrion Kross on Main Event sans flashy entrance and Scarlett is hilariously bad. Without the smoke and mirrors this dude literally has nothing else going for him.

I’ve always found it interesting how they way someone is presented has so much influence on how they are perceived and whether they’re a star or not. Very very few have natural star power. Imo, Kross is a fairly generic looking guy and the main attraction was Scarlett

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

TimesArrow wrote: »
    I’ve always found it interesting how they way someone is presented has so much influence on how they are perceived and whether they’re a star or not. Very very few have natural star power. Imo, Kross is a fairly generic looking guy and the main attraction was Scarlett

Some guys have presence and aura flashy entrance or not and some guys are Just a Guy without that stuff and Kross falls firmly into the JAG category. It wouldn't even be so bad if he could go bell to bell but he's surely in the lower half of workers they have on TV on any of their 3 brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah that Main Event entrance looked bad, it seems WWE are also trying to get videos of it taken down from social media. I'd like to think that on Main Roster he would have the full entrance but it won't make him any more interesting.

Reminds me of Adam Cole's quote on NXT a few weeks back.
    "You’ve got the cool music, you’ve got the lights, you’ve got the fog machine, you’ve got the girl. You know what they do to make Adam Cole feel special? They ring the freakin’ bell"

Advertisement