Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mason Bikes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

I bought the Bokeh (aluminium version) last year.

They are pricey but well made. Got mine as part of a rolling chasis bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Underpinner

I have a Definition - bought two years back. I’ve a few bikes but that’s the one I use all the time. Pit mudguards on it in November. Brilliant bike. I went over to their place outside Brighton… flight to Gatwick and train from there. Tried the Resolution. Really good bike. Definition is livelier though. I see they’re pricing without VAT since Brexit. They are expensive in relative terms but the frame is exceptional.
    Hi all, anyone have any experience with Mason bikes? looking a Resolution as a possibility as my next bike , great looking bike, a bit on the pricey side though

https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/resolution-bikes

thanks for the feedback, sounds good, I think I’ll go for the steel frame, will be putting mudguards on it as I intend to use it all year round

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Underpinner

I have a Definition - bought two years back. I’ve a few bikes but that’s the one I use all the time. Pit mudguards on it in November. Brilliant bike. I went over to their place outside Brighton… flight to Gatwick and train from there. Tried the Resolution. Really good bike. Definition is livelier though. I see they’re pricing without VAT since Brexit. They are expensive in relative terms but the frame is exceptional.
    Hi all, anyone have any experience with Mason bikes? looking a Resolution as a possibility as my next bike , great looking bike, a bit on the pricey side though

https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/resolution-bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lovely but bananas money imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭TeaScone

I built a Mason Resolution up from a rolling frame set a few years ago to use as an all-year-round bike and am very pleased with the result. It a very comfortable bike with good handling and capable of fast cruising speeds. It lacks the acceleration of my Cervelo, but I didn't buy it for its acceleration. From memory, by building it up myself I save about €500 over buying a complete bike. If I were doing it again, I'd probably just buy the frame set and get a set of handbuilt wheels from the likes of DCR or Paul Hewitt. The bikes are not inexpensive, but should last for years. Before you take the plunge, I'd recommend you discuss frame geometry and fit with someone like Aidan Hammond, which is what I did; your are going to part with a sizeable sum of money so you want to be sure that the bike is a good fit.

Thanks TeaScone, very helpful info, I intend to use it all year round, will stick some mudguards on it also, I was up with Aidan a few years back and have my sizing and dimensions dialled in pretty good, I’ve put in an order for a medium which is due sometime around October! I had originally thought about a Van Nicholas but I think the Mason will suit me better,

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Londonirish72

TeaScone wrote: »
    I built a Mason Resolution up from a rolling frame set a few years ago to use as an all-year-round bike and am very pleased with the result. It a very comfortable bike with good handling and capable of fast cruising speeds. It lacks the acceleration of my Cervelo, but I didn't buy it for its acceleration. From memory, by building it up myself I save about €500 over buying a complete bike. If I were doing it again, I'd probably just buy the frame set and get a set of handbuilt wheels from the likes of DCR or Paul Hewitt. The bikes are not inexpensive, but should last for years. Before you take the plunge, I'd recommend you discuss frame geometry and fit with someone like Aidan Hammond, which is what I did; your are going to part with a sizeable sum of money so you want to be sure that the bike is a good fit.

I've been lurking on the Mason website for a few weeks without pulling the trigger. I'm curious about the spec of your build. I am considering going down that route myself.

Hi! I started with a black (I think they called it Shutter black) rolling chassis (56cm) with the Hunt Four Seasons disc wheel-set, though as I mentioned in my previous post that, were I to do it again, I'd probably just get the frameset from Mason and source the wheels from DCR Wheels or Paul Hewitt Cycles. The rest of the build spec is as follows:

Groupset: Ultegra 6800 11s (11-28 & 52/36) mechanical shifting
    Brake/ Shift Levers: Ultegra (hydraulic) ST-RS685 levers and BR-RS785 brake calipers
    Discs: Shimano XTR RT99 Ice tech 140mm rotors
    Chain: KMC X11 114 link chain
    Saddle: Fizik Arione R3 saddle
    Bars: Profile Design - Largo bars
    Stem: Richley C260 110mm +/- 6 deg.
    Bar tape: Lizard Skins 2.5mm
    Tyres & tubes: Continental GP4000 ii 25c tubular tyres with Continental Race tubes
    Pedals: Favero Assioma duo
    Mudguards: SKS Longboard, though I had to remove the front mud flap to avoid it catching kerbs; it's very low, and I had to fit a small foam pad under the fork to dampen rattle noise.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Kind regards,
    TeaScone.

That's very helpful thanks.

A few more questions if you have the time to answer.

I think I'm a 54cm frame size based on comparisons with an existing bike I have that fits me very well. I'm 180cm in height - since you went for a 56cm are you much taller than me?

Also, despite all the blurb about internal cable routing it looks like the cable for the rear derailleur is exposed from the top tube down to the derailler itself - which I'd prefer to avoid - is there anyway to route this internally?

Ditto for the dear disc brake cable which is run along the outside of the chainstay.

• Advertisement

Hello Londonirish72! I'm 183cms, though the reason I plumped for the Resolution 56cm was that the stack and reach were identical to those of my Cervelo RS (56cm), a bike that I had originally been custom-fitted for by Paul Hewitt. I subsequently had the geometry and fit confirmed by Aidan Hammond Bikefitting. If the stack and reach of your current bike, which you say is a satisfactory fit, are pretty much identical to those of the Resolution 54cm, then you should be fine. Regarding the cable routing for the derailleur and the rear brake, it is external from the top-tube downward; at least it is on my version, which is a Mk 1, purchased in late 2016. There is no way to route them internally through the seat stays and chain stays. Aesthetically, it would be more pleasing if it were, but I managed to get them routed along the stays fairly neatly and am happy enough with their appearance.

I hope this helps. By-the-way, you will need a crown race setting tool to get a good frame to fork fit and, ideally, a steerer cutting jig to get a really square cut. You'll also need a torque wrench, but you probably already have that.

Kind regards,
    TeaScone.

I thought I replied to say thank you but now realise that I had not. So thank you (belatedly) for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ARX

Review of the Resolution here.

Advertisement