Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Quick straw poll - Miyota 9015 (with minimal price difference) or SW-300 (with 200 euro difference)...

I'm slightly inclined for Sellita SW300 (the ETA 2892 clone) - as if I'm building a 1000+ watch where the movement cost actually isn't the main cost component of the watch then might as well put in a Swiss movement (if I can't get my hands on a microrotor movement) or else you'll always be getting people saying 1200-1400 (retail not the KS price) and "only" a Japanese movement?

Losing the micro-rotor is losing a USP of the Equinox - but changing from Chinese to Swiss movement will be a plus in some/many(?) people's eyes too. Hopefully the tungsten/slim diver aspect will still appeal to enough people to get the Equinox built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Go Swiss for a +€1000 watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

At that price point, I don’t know if I’d be that impressed by a miyota movement in a random microbrand I came across. So Swiss please.

Out of interest, how much more would an ETA cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The effect of the movement on final price is IMO going to be far more important.

The challenge of selling a €1000 microbrand is already a tough one.
    Your initial USP's were the micro-rotor movement and the tungsten case and bracelet.
    Losing the micro-rotor is a blow IMO.

Now you need to ensure that whichever movement you go with can maintain the slim case profile and the expected performance.
    The Miyota is a workhorse, well specced and once the rotor is silenced is a very good movement.
    The Sellita/ETA is Swiss, has the caché that comes with that but in the grand scheme of price v performance?
    Is it worth a 250-300% bump in price for a single component?

You are now dealing with 1 USP, the tungsten construction.
    That in and of itself should be quite enough to spark interest.
    But you need to assess just how much an impact the movement choice would impact on someone choosing to buy a watch in a highly competitive microbrand and entry level diver range.

From my standpoint, I'd like a tungsten cased and strapped watch but if there is such a watch at 1000 with a Miyota Vs 1200 with a Sellita?
    I'm buying the Miyota and having an extra 200 in my pocket.

Other than the reputation of "swiss' I really won't be gaining anything performance wise for my additional outlay.

dakar wrote: »
    At that price point, I don’t know if I’d be that impressed by a miyota movement in a random microbrand I came across. So Swiss please.

Out of interest, how much more would an ETA cost?

They're refusing to supply I believe - so it's funny (to me) that Hangzhou is "doing an ETA". Looking at public facing suppliers ebay and the likes (and you cannot guarantee these are fresh movements or even genuine on Ebay i guess) - prices would be in the 370-400s - which considering the Equinox was intended to be offered at the 500s (for pre-Kickstarter orders) obviously does not work.

KS price will obviously still be below the 1000 mark - but if a SW300 is put in you're looking at 700 starting prices now which is serious money for many of course. Just rerunning figures right now.

One potential new thing is that it may be possible to lower the height to below 11mm for a diver if we switch to sw300 - again, not something that huge amounts of people will care about (I personally care) but it does go back to our "slim" focus that differentiates from the common 14-15mm divers on the market. Or even capitulate to the market and build it with 200m wr and keep it within 11.xx mm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thirdfox wrote: »
    They're refusing to supply I believe - so it's funny (to me) that Hangzhou is "doing an ETA". Looking at public facing suppliers ebay and the likes (and you cannot guarantee these are fresh movements or even genuine on Ebay i guess) - prices would be in the 370-400s - which considering the Equinox was intended to be offered at the 500s (for pre-Kickstarter orders) obviously does not work.

KS price will obviously still be below the 1000 mark - but if a SW300 is put in you're looking at 700 starting prices now which is serious money for many of course. Just rerunning figures right now.

One potential new thing is that it may be possible to lower the height to below 11mm for a diver if we switch to sw300 - again, not something that huge amounts of people will care about (I personally care) but it does go back to our "slim" focus that differentiates from the common 14-15mm divers on the market. Or even capitulate to the market and build it with 200m wr and keep it within 11.xx mm.
    I don’t own a watch with either movement but have a couple ETA powered watches, so I can’t really help you decide. Cost might be the biggest factor unfortunately for a lot of potential customers.

Docvail seems to have got the diver down as thin as possible, and I think he is very reluctant to pass the $1000 price point as a micro brand. Will you be competing with him or offering more to customers at a higher price point?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I don’t own a watch with either movement but have a couple ETA powered watches, so I can’t really help you decide. Cost might be the biggest factor unfortunately for a lot of potential customers.

Docvail seems to have got the diver down as thin as possible, and I think he is very reluctant to pass the $1000 price point as a micro brand. Will you be competing with him or offering more to customers at a higher price point?

NTH (and Lew and Huey before that) are aimed at very different segments of the market I think (compared to Sólás) - I want to build 5 minute repeaters - Doc wants to make profit from his day job. That's not to disparage NTH at all - Doc makes design and build choices that ensures it sells at a profitable enough rate to ultimately take him into retirement... I'm making design and build choices that I hope is profitable enough so I get one step closer to the repeater Sólás.

So I think for NTH - the competition resides mainly against the likes of Chinese factory brands like Phoibos/Spinnaker etc. For the Equinox - it would be Monta/Formex/Doxa etc. (heh - we are using similar/same suppliers after all) that would be alternatives - but in this case it's the tungsten draw that might appeal to people who consider a brand other than a Monta they were looking at (besides the fact that we are aiming to offer Monta level quality at a significant discount for KS funding).

So - picture Monta or Formex doing a KS - that is kinda what Sólás is doing for the Equinox.

@Banie I do get the fact that you'd prefer the extra 200 in the pocket - but you "know" about Swiss vs Japanese - I think I might be gambling too much by going Japanese when people say - oh it's a 700-900 USD KS - I want Swiss - who's heard of "Miyota" etc. etc.

WIS know that Miyota produces 24% of all the mechanical movements in the world... the ordinary person "interested" in watches but doesn't know much more may think (since we don't have the visual interest of a micro-rotor now) - if I'm paying 700-900 usd for a watch it better have a "luxury" Swiss movement inside - though to be fair to the SW300 - the watches that use it - Bell & Ross, Sinn, Meistersinger, Baume & Mercer etc. are pretty much in the 2000-4000 euro arena:
    https://watchbase.com/sellita/caliber/sw300-1

So a 700(ish) euro microbrand SW300-1 powered tungsten diver is still something that is multiples less than a "Swiss made" equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Is there still a display case back on the Equinox?

I suppose the question you are trying to answer is which will sell more, Miyota or Sellita. If you're passing the difference in costs onto the customer, then I assume your margins are the same and your profit depends on sales volume.

I have dive watches from seiko,citizen,doxa and tissel. The Tissel has the Miyota 905s. What I want from a dive watch is a reliable,readable elapsed timer that will stand up to the rigors of the environment.

One advantage from a divers point of view is that if I flood the watch, say by not having the crown screwed down, the replacement cost of a Miyota is far less than a Sellita. I imagine when you walk into watchfix with a watch that has movements available from Cousins, they can offer a hassle free repair.

I dived the Seiko at least 100 times, with a 7S26 in it, it worked every time. There's a 4R36 in it now after it took a hard knock.

The doxa is an €1800 watch with an ETA2824 in it, it has a different appeal to me than some of the others, I have not yet had the opportunity to dive with it.

I'ld say the tunsten alone is unique offering, if the case is made from the same stuff as armour piercing ammunition, pick a similarly bulletproof movement. I can see guys taking it off their wrist, with the 'feel the weight of this' gesture.

Do manufactures provide reliability data, is there better shock protection in one movement over the other etc

njburke wrote: »
    Is there still a display case back on the Equinox?

I suppose the question you are trying to answer is which will sell more, Miyota or Sellita. If you're passing the difference in costs onto the customer, then I assume your margins are the same and your profit depends on sales volume.

I have dive watches from seiko,citizen,doxa and tissel. The Tissel has the Miyota 905s. What I want from a dive watch is a reliable,readable elapsed timer that will stand up to the rigors of the environment.

One advantage from a divers point of view is that if I flood the watch, say by not having the crown screwed down, the replacement cost of a Miyota is far less than a Sellita. I imagine when you walk into watchfix with a watch that has movements available from Cousins, they can offer a hassle free repair.

I dived the Seiko at least 100 times, with a 7S26 in it, it worked every time. There's a 4R36 in it now after it took a hard knock.

The doxa is an €1800 watch with an ETA2824 in it, it has a different appeal to me than some of the others, I have not yet had the opportunity to dive with it.

I'ld say the tunsten alone is unique offering, if the case is made from the same stuff as armour piercing ammunition, pick a similarly bulletproof movement. I can see guys taking it off their wrist, with the 'feel the weight of this' gesture.

Do manufactures provide reliability data, is there better shock protection in one movement over the other etc

I think your post above is rather illuminative too - you find the Miyota in Tisells... the vast majority of people who buy Tisells will not consider a 900 euro watch (the venn diagram overlap must be rather small). So for using a movement that can be found in $130 watches (a robust workhorse that it is) is quite different to offering a movement that is found in Sinns and Bell&Ross.

All things being equal I'd love to offer the choice - those who want the 200ish euro savings can go with Miyota if you just like the tungsten novelty - if you want Swiss movement you can pay the extra.

Oh and my profit margins will fall substantially by going Swiss since I'm passing on direct costs - not adding a margin onto the cost. Like I said - the main thing is getting the watch made and a step closer towards the Sólás Lir. I don't need to make comparatively huge margins (like Doc needs to) - just enough to cover warranty/ongoing brand issues and some capital for reinvestment into the next model.

Specification-wise - the SW300 and 9015 are similar - but the 300 is 0.3mm thinner (personal like). The SW300 is also available from Counsins btw:
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/sellita-sw3001-movement-list
    £380 pounds (441 euro) to the public - you can see what I mean when I'm saying I'd be raising prices without margin - just on the cost of the movement itself. Now add on a custom tungsten case and a bracelet that I think Monta would be proud of for an additional 300 euro you can see the value proposition I believe I'm presenting to the public here.

If the Doxa of yours used the ETA 2892 (which is what the SW300 is a clone of) I'd expect them to add on another 400 euro onto the price for the use of the more "premium" movement. The SW200 is the clone version of the ETA2824 but that doesn't really appeal to me for Sólás as I prefer thinner movements unless there is a complication that really necessitates a thicker design (model 3 will be thicker but there are pretty apparent engineering reasons why it's thicc (which to me means 14-15mm :D)).

Edit: yes - still a display back currently (though that could always be changed if we go with sw300 - most people like display casebacks however) - I'll have it slim and still use a display caseback. Looking at a custom rotor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I'm probably not a buyer for the equinox (three divers already) so take this with that in mind. I think it's a tough decision because each one will put you in a price point with a different type of buyer i imagine. Personally i'd prefer the Swiss movement, but i'm also more interested in the luxury end of things anyway so €200 isn't a big deal from my perspective.

Do you know if theres stats out there on repeat custom for microbrands, and if so are people less price sensitive on their second purchase from them?

• Advertisement

Diyu, you've done very well with the starlight and it would be great to see you get to your goal of a minute repeater. I'm hurling from the ditch here, you're the guy with skin in the game.

If you offer a choice of movements, it complicates production, I think you are best placed to decide on movement, consider the merits of each, sweat the detail then make the decision.
    I looked at the monta website, I was more interested in how they were marketing the watches than the watches themselves.
    At £400 pounds for a SW300 you have to wonder are people selling a microbrand watch or reselling a branded movement.

The Tissel I bought as an homage, a sub would be my grail watch. If I had both, I would dive with neither albeit for different reasons, one is too cheap the other too expensive.

I do have a lip super nautic ski, dive watch in a compressor case which I bought mainly because of it's R184 electronic movement, but I also like the look and feel of it.

Time wrote: »
    I'm probably not a buyer for the equinox (three divers already) so take this with that in mind. I think it's a tough decision because each one will put you in a price point with a different type of buyer i imagine. Personally i'd prefer the Swiss movement, but i'm also more interested in the luxury end of things anyway so €200 isn't a big deal from my perspective.

Do you know if theres stats out there on repeat custom for microbrands, and if so are people less price sensitive on their second purchase from them?

The Starlight in one sense was to demonstrate that Sólás is serious about watches and watchmaking (and to put forward our goals of that repeater). Otherwise why would someone trust a completely unknown brand with hundreds/near to a thousand euro of monies (even if the brand means well, they may be unable to deliver due to business operation issues, never mind potential fraud).

So it was about "you've trusted us to deliver a cracking price on a micro-rotor aventurine watch - you can trust us to deliver a cracking tungsten higher end Swiss movement powered watch too". While hundreds of people have purchased the Starlight - I'm more counting on people having some recognition of the brand (and being willing to "dip their toes" into Sólás the brand than necessarily hoping that X% of people will buy an Equinox on foot of the Starlight (as I realise they are at two different price points - probably 100+% difference in KS price).

i.e. when people ask "who the heck is Sólás?" they can see - "oh, they actually did something cool with their previous watch model too - hmm, well this is actually a good price for a SW300 powered dive watch and it's different enough that it's interesting to me too...that hey that repeater goal sounds worthwhile, and now that Sólás is using a Swiss movement in model 2 it's not crazy that the guy might actually achieve it".
    njburke wrote: »
    Diyu, you've done very well with the starlight and it would be great to see you get to your goal of a minute repeater. I'm hurling from the ditch here, you're the guy with skin in the game.

If you offer a choice of movements, it complicates production, I think you are best placed to decide on movement, consider the merits of each, sweat the detail then make the decision.
    I looked at the monta website, I was more interested in how they were marketing the watches than the watches themselves.
    At £400 pounds for a SW300 you have to wonder are people selling a microbrand watch or reselling a branded movement.

The Tissel I bought as an homage, a sub would be my grail watch. If I had both, I would dive with neither albeit for different reasons, one is too cheap the other too expensive.

I do have a lip super nautic ski, dive watch in a compressor case which I bought mainly because of it's R184 electronic movement, but I also like the look and feel of it.

Definitely won't be offering movement choice - I just meant in the ideal world this kind of option is something that microbrands do offer - the two movements are quite different though and it just costs even more money to offer a movement choice - you don't see many brands offering this (quite often for micros it can be pick the NH35a cheap workhorse option or maybe upgrade to the SW200 as the Swiss movement option). Just not worth it in my eyes - the case would need to be completely redesigned between the two movements.

And yes :D at your comment about selling a watch or selling a movement - I was considering getting a Tisell just to check out the 9015 and toss out/donate the case - it can almost be cheaper to get a factory watch for just the movement inside than trying to get a sample movement unit of 1 - it happens with discounted Hamilton/Eternas with the ETA2824 - sometimes the watch comes "free" with the movement due to pricing changes in sourcing an ETA2824 - I remember buying a Ferrari watch (from the official Ferrari shop) not because I liked Ferrari watches or even liked the design - but the watch was 290 euro I think after discounts and it was effectively almost a free try of an 2824. It had the atrocious red lume too (the watch design was actually pretty cool in the style of a Ferrari rev counter and carbon fibre on the dial - effectively all of the bracelet, sapphire, dial, hands etc. was almost free considering the commercial cost of 1 ETA2824 movement).

^ you have to remember that Counsins is putting their markup on the SW300 that I would be getting MOQ price on (you're free to get these prices too if you want to order 500 of the movements ;) ) - so it's not exactly costing me 500 x £400 to get 500 SW300s - but you can take a guess in the cost bump which I've said just passes on the direct cost of MOQ supply to me to the final customer.

So yes - the Swiss know how to make their money from these little beautiful machines - and why the Chinese can challenge them so badly in the case/hands/bracelet sector that many Swiss brands use Chinese made stuff. The Equinox would have been unusual in that the majority of the cost of the watch wasn't going into the movement but the really expensive bracelet and case design - but using the SW300 would bring movement cost vs "rest of stuff" cost closer to parity.

Makes you think - how can Tisell etc. sell a 9015 powered watch for 80(?)-90 dollars (and apparently(?) profitably too) - the "rest of stuff" cost must be 3-4 dollars in that case:
    Here's a Nazken for $100 that has a 9015 inside:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMce8vnbQMY
    ^ "rest of stuff" maybe comes to 10-20 dollars?

It seems to me that's why the Swiss can't compete with the Chinese on low, medium or high end cases/bracelets and outsource to China - only for the very high end (3000-4000 euro+) stuff can the Swiss get away with charging Swiss prices for cases/bracelets etc. as in the case for movements ;) - but I can't say I know exactly which Swiss brands outsource what proportion of their components from the Far East.

Sounds like decision made on the SW300, very good. Can't wait to see the design and specs for the Equinox.

I have two tisells with 90S5 in them, a vintage submersible and a 905ex. The vintage sub was well regulated, held time within 3 or 4 seconds a day. I plunged into a pool with the crown unscrewed and alas there was some ingress. Slight condensation on the crystal, but I dried it out quickly. It still runs fine, reserve is ok, it's days of accuracy are gone. If send you the two you can examine both movements, maybe start a file on what happens an automatic watch when the water gets in. Is the equinox still sealed with crown unscrewed? I believe the Rolex triple lock is still sealed when unscrewed.
    As an aside, the tisells is made from the fake Rolex parts catalogue and a Japanese movement, hence the €200 euro price tag.
    My brother in law brought his Tisell into Keane's in cork to have the glide lock clasp replaced after it broke, they told him ever so politely that they don't service that kind of watch there. I replaced the clasp for him, he had sized it himself originally by removing links from only one side.

For a microbrand diver I've always fancied a Roland Kemmner, he had a Eta 2824-2 octopus model circa 2010. It really was a no nonsense diver, dial was sterile, I don't think brand appeared anywhere on the watch, you either knew it was a Kemmner or you didn't.
    They never come up, unobtainium.

SW300_HDG-e1587002967770-768x768.png

Order placed - the sample Equinoxes will be using this movement and all going well come next March we can get these approved to go ultimately go onto people's wrists...

And since there's no micro-rotor - I'm looking at potentially doing some interesting "macro" rotor designs too.

edit: oh and you'll note that Starlight pre-orders are back up... plenty of behind the scenes drama (that I don't generally share elsewhere) - the delivery date has been pushed back to November (instead of September) though... The episode has meant that I don't particularly trust Hangzhou to come up with the goods as I need them so the move to Sellita (at least for the Equinox) is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Honestly I think that a sellita will give the diver crowd a better spec than the microrotor. More tool like, less "delicate". I know it all just optics but I dont think its a loss.

Looking forward to seeing your rotor designs.
    Given the weight/density of tungsten, is a skeletonised edge weighted rotor a possibility?

With the pre orders for Starlight back up?
    Have Hangzhou allowed you access to at least enough supply to finish your planned initial retail run?

Hopefully they will see sense and appreciate the exposure that your effort has brought them and the wider adoption of their movement.

I see on Reddit that it is being used for fake Pateks (posted here previously) and that after a slew of factory raids that nixed the "best" fake Rolex factory there has been a growth in orders for the fake patek.

The rabbit hole of fakes and trying to find out where the 5000a's all went and I'm left wondering?
    Just what level of customisation the factory does?
    Versus what's been carried out by the fakers via a swapped plate or bridge?
    I would really hope that the manufacturer gets a little bit more discerning in who the supply.
    Our own horological experimenter and entrepreneur!
    Or bloody fakers...

The images won't embed so I'll add the links too.
    https://trustytime.io/images/PATEK5/PP0412_25.jpg

https://trustytime.io/images/PATEK5/PP0412_24.jpg

https://trustytime.io/images/PATEK5/PP0412_26.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Oh its no coincidence that the 5000a looks like a Patek Caliber 240.

banie01 wrote: »
    The rabbit hole of fakes and trying to find out where the 5000a's all went and I'm left wondering?
    I would really hope that the manufacturer gets a little bit more discerning in who the supply.
    Our own horological experimenter and entrepreneur!
    Or bloody fakers...

The images won't embed so I'll add the links too.
    https://trustytime.io/images/PATEK5/PP0412_25.jpg

https://trustytime.io/images/PATEK5/PP0412_24.jpg

https://trustytime.io/images/PATEK5/PP0412_26.jpg
    Fitz II wrote: »
    Oh its no coincidence that the 5000a looks like a Patek Caliber 240.

Heh - this is where I get to show off my WIS-dom and say actually what you're looking at is the not a HZ5000A - but a Sea-Gull ST4020 - if you go back 10ish(?) pages you'll find a post about it I think - maybe try searching for ST4020 in this thread. The biggest giveaway is the ST4020 uses the 3 screws in the rotor vs the one screw in the HZ5000A. But if you look carefully you'll see that the mainplate and jewel locations are completely different too.

The story behind the ST4020 is more interesting since it wasn't even sold by Sea-Gull themselves - they put years of effort into developing it - but ultimately it was a failure - so speaking to my contact (that I do trust) in the Sea-Gull factory directly - she confirms that they haven't made these movements for years now, it's not out of production because it never went into proper production (as the movement wasn't stable enough) - but someone seems to have "found" a pallet of non-useable movements and are selling them in fakes... If Sea-Gull themselves aren't selling this movement because it's deemed a dud - I wouldn't suggest buying one, even as a laugh.

Not to say that the HZ has escaped going into fakes too sadly - I was also looking at where are these 5000A movements going into (apart from Diamond (1st use of the HZ5000A worldwide I believe), myself, then Lobinni... I saw some fakers using them in fake Octo Finissimos - but the good thing is that they can't fake 5.15mm - the fake Octos are much thicker and to be honest the HZ5000A looks nothing like the BVL 138 other than having a micro-rotor.

And the direct answer to that question is - whoever is willing to buy 1000 or 3000 movements and stump up the cash directly (not me unfortunately nor most microbrands unfortunately).

HZ confirmed to me that the engraving on the Lobinni was done by outside parties -HZ themselves offer some plating, some decoration changes, but nothing as drastic as who bridge dismantling (or even custom rotors - that's done elsewhere).

We are bluing the screws ourselves for the retail orders too since HZ no longer want to do that for us... (you're peeling back the curtain into my headaches of trying to operate a microbrand :D ) - so we need to take the movements, examine them, ensure they are okay, extract the screws and get them blued (chemically) before reassembing them - doing that in Switzerland might eat up all the production costs for the Starlight :D

• Advertisement

TF, I bloody love it when you share the more detailed knowledge such as your last couple of posts.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Really is a fascinating insight as to what goes on to the metal casing on your wrist. I haven't taken mine off apart from sleeping and exercising for the past week. Find myself just looking at it randomly through the day to check how it's sparkling. It really is a cracking watch you've created TF.

If you'd have told me 10 years ago I'd be wearing a watch designed and pretty much put together by the Chinese guy in an Irish language film I'd to answer questions on in my leaving cert, I'd have had a good laugh! Which is why I just had to buy it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

VW 1 wrote: »
    I'd be wearing a watch designed and pretty much put together by the Chinese guy in an Irish language film I'd to answer questions on in my leaving cert
    One thing I bloody love about life and every new day that comes is that every so often you read a selection of words that should make zero sense, but make perfect sense and your day just got better. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    One thing I bloody love about life and every new day that comes is that every so often you read a selection of words that should make zero sense, but make perfect sense and your day just got better. :)

I was telling my son's about Solas, my description of TF included a guy from china who speaks fluent Irish. They both asked me was he in the movie they watched in Irish class. It's a small world.

Think in Ireland it's more 3 degrees of separation rather than 6.

Oh and Random Rob has put his review up of the Starlight (I was wondering why some people were directly contacting me to see if they could still pre-order the retail version...well now they can...again :P )

I quite liked the "As Irish as chop suey" comment by one random guy - I gave a cheeky answer back about spice boxes - though one of the naughty lads went on my channel to leave a similar comment under my own videos - sometimes its just quicker to delete the comment rather than engage in a discussion of what is "Irish designed", "Irish made" or even "Swiss made" for that matter.

Slightly unfortunately I think the dial under the studio lighting fell back into the "direct light facing onto a black camera lens" meaning the hands do fade out a few times - something I think people who actually wear the Starlight can attest doesn't happen "in real life" (unless we have cameras for heads). It's a good call out in any case and I just wish I didn't have to pause the store for the days when this review actually came out - considering there were X number of people who wrote directly to me asking about buying I'd guess at least 2X looked at the store was sold out and moved on.

Equinox won't be using such a difficult material to render under studio lighting (it was something I hadn't really considered but makes good sense - if it's not in physical stores and being handled then people can only go by what it looks like on camera).

TF, I bloody love it when you share the more detailed knowledge such as your last couple of posts.
    Thank you.

Oh and I consider it part of a learning journey too - happy to share as much detail as I generally can on an open public forum - the journey and things I'm learning about a small part of the watch world has certainly been very interesting.
    vw 1 wrote:
    Really is a fascinating insight as to what goes on to the metal casing on your wrist. I haven't taken mine off apart from sleeping and exercising for the past week. Find myself just looking at it randomly through the day to check how it's sparkling. It really is a cracking watch you've created TF.
    Thanks VW - I think it's interesting stuff to share in a semi-private/public space (though I am aware we have foreign lurkers on boards too reading what is written here :D *calls out to lurkers* - feel free to register and post too - we're all very friendly here).
    If you'd have told me 10 years ago I'd be wearing a watch designed and pretty much put together by the Chinese guy in an Irish language film I'd to answer questions on in my leaving cert, I'd have had a good laugh! Which is why I just had to buy it!

And if you told me 10 years ago I'd be wearing a watch I designed and pushed to get made - with the support of people around the world giving me funds I'd give a wry grin and go back to my law books...

Hopefully this can be an advertisement of sorts for what crowdfunding can do - I never thought I'd be doing business, instead of lurking in the shadows advising on the legalities behind it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

My other half is a Gaeilgeoir and loves the story behind Sólás. She was looking for updates more often than me, and loves the finished product and all the Irish elements :)

Signed off on a new custom rotor design for the SW300 (and paid for those SW300 samples already)... I think people are going to love the new rotor design - very intricate, intrinsically Celtic and visually pleasing (guaranteed(tm) it won't be divisive like our logo :P ).

Time to give Sinn a run for their money :D (I'm a big fan of Sinn).

edit:
    Just as a general tidbit of information - the custom rotor (if/when we proceed to production) will add on 5 figures as a production cost - prototyping adds on a 4 figure cost - but I think as we're losing the microrotor having a custom rotor to pair with elaboré decorated movement is a worthy substitution.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQEPG4_r179/?utm_medium=copy_link

My Sólás has been delivered (under Dublin starlight) :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Thirdfox wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CQEPG4_r179/?utm_medium=copy_link

My Sólás has been delivered (under Dublin starlight) :D:D:D

Congratulations to you Diyu and your wife. Take the time to enjoy this special time.

Advertisement