Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Does anyone know if a car will fail because of a 'day running light' bulb not working? We've replaced the bulb, but it turns out its actually something to do with the unit itself as its burning out the bulbs immediately. Our test is in less than 5 days and we're having trouble getting it replaced/fixed in time.

Can you turn them off in one of the cars menu setting? Might be worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If a diesel car goes in with the yellow engine management light on and a smoke test isn't done as a result, do they complete the rest of the test or end it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

My NCT was extended and is now up on 4th August.

NCT website says I'm too early to book:

Warning
    Warning! Your vehicle is not due! Please return at a later date to make a booking or select a date near your NCT due date.

I don't understand this as I'm within 90 days of the due date.

I can't get any slots at a centre near me until next month at the earliest when I look at availabilities.

Do I just go ahead and book anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Warning
    Warning! Your vehicle is not due! Please return at a later date to make a booking or select a date near your NCT due date.

I can't get any slots at a centre near me until next month at the earliest when I look at availabilities.

Yes you can still book, scroll down

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

Yes you can still book, scroll down

Why bother replying if you didn't even read my post properly. Honestly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

Warning

The same happened to me last month, I checked again a few days later and it let me book then. There's very limited availability in most places it seems. If it won't let you book online maybe call them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Warning

Had the exact same question a few months ago, I just booked it and everything was fine, it seems like a bug on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Country lad

just phone them up and they give you a appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

Obviously the guards will be aware of the extension and wont be stopped over expired disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

ofcork wrote: »
    Obviously the guards will be aware of the extension and wont be stopped over expired disc?

Correct - it's all very joined up (for a change!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Are the waiting lists for NCT long at the moment does anyone know? Haven't drove in years and about to buy a car with no NCT. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

paddythere wrote: »
    Are the waiting lists for NCT long at the moment does anyone know? Haven't drove in years and about to buy a car with no NCT. Thanks

Just got an appointment there for middle of July in Kilkenny -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

paddythere wrote: »

Are you going to trailer the car until it passes the NCT? Driving it home and driving it to the NCT centre could earn five penalty points a go, plus towing costs, impound costs and whatever fine the courts see fit. The day's when you would probably get away with the 'ah sure I only just bought it' or 'I'm on the way to the test centre' are long gone.

Unless you're getting the car at a serious discount (taking trailering it and potential pre-NCT repairs into account) I'd look for it to be NCTed before I'd buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

did all cars with a test date after mar 2020 get a 4 month extension on nct

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

Level 42 wrote: »
    did all cars with a test date after mar 2020 get a 4 month extension on nct

cheers

No, check NCT due date with reg on website. There was 2 different extensions with different criteria, and best way to check here

https://www.ncts.ie/check-nct-due-date/

The National Car Testing Service (NCTS) has identified a system error that led to the distribution of 34,000 certificates with incorrect expiry dates.

The service said in a statement on Tuesday that some customers were wrongly provided with a certificate to cover them for two years instead of one.

These certificates have been revoked and new NCT documents are being issued to all affected customers. This process should be completed by August, according to a spokeswoman.

The computer error, which has affected some documents issued over the past 12 months, arose when the expiry dates for test cover was extended in 2020 due to the pandemic. The mistake has affected about 34,000 cars out of a total of 1.3 million tested since the service resumed in June 2020.

This issue relates only to vehicles that were over 10 years old at the time of their last test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I got this letter. The car first registered in June 2011 (2011 Passat) and the test was back in March this year.

My car wasn't quite 10 years old when it was tested and it was tested late in the first place (compared to original due date) due to the 4 month extension.

Do I have grounds to complain here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

The wait times are beyond ridiculous. My test is up on 8th Sep and have been checking the NCST website for this past week for a suitable time, next available date for my usual centre (NorthPoint) is 18th Oct. NorthPoint is a large test centre with about 12-14 lanes available so how can there be nearly 12 weeks lead time.

It used to be the case that if they couldn't offer you a test slot withing 4 weeks they were required to give you a free test, is that still the case? I've rang them before in previous years looking for a slot when one wasn't available online and they tried fobbing me off saying they couldn't keep/take my details due to GDPR to call me when a slot became available.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

My NCT is due 24 August (it was exxtended from Feburary, and I completely forgot without any reminders).

The earliest test I can get is Sept 11th, which I have booked. I know technically it is my responsibility to ensure it is covered, but, if stopped, will the Garda accept that I have a test date, even if it is not in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It depends, maybe maybe not. I would keep checking the booking site early in the morning and late in the evening for cancellations making slots available and look at test centres outside the usual / nearest one.

Your car can be seized / towed on the spot. It's an automatic 3 penalty points and €60 euro fine but can be 5 penalty points and up to €2500 fine or three months in prison on conviction. Unlikely on a first offense but it sets a benchmark for scale of penalties. You would also want to check the terms of your insurance policy, many now have a valid NCT as a condition of cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

Lads, can anyone answer this for me. Have an Audi A5 2008, came with front fogs but recently changed to a new bumper that doesn’t have front fogs (had them removed basically)

Any clue whether this would fail the NCT? I heard mixed things about them testing for front fogs so have been confused

Saw a car on donedeal with a similar modification that said he passed in March of this year but still unsure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

NCT is due in October but I wanted to book it a bit earlier to see if anything needed to be fixed in the next service. Booked in Naas next Thursday because everything else is late October/November!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Watched the tester looking around the footwell with a torch and eventually giving up.

Cert issued as Pass Advisory - OBD comms failure. Couldn't find the port! Its inside the fusebox and needs an allen key to open as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The chap looked very confused when doing my Golf, not sure what the issue was. Also left the steering wheel absolutely filthy which is annoying as I cleared out gloves, wipes etc as they say to clear all Covid bits so had nothing to clean it with when I was leaving, typical I spent ages cleaning the inside of the car last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

More of a general NCT question than Covid-related.

Our NCT is on the 13th and the dash info is saying an oil change is due (not a warning light, just a text reminder when the key is put in the ignition)

The car service isn't until the 22nd however. Will I get failed because of the info message?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

My boot keeps popping open every time I unlock the doors. It needs a new switch, which won't be done before my NCT appointment. Will this cause a failure? If so, will it be a full re-test?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

quick question,

my date ont he NCT site is 13th of Jan '22

i want to try and do it early and get the 2 years + 3 months cert, is this still possible ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Yes, anytime from now onward and you’ll get until jan 23 or 24 depending how old your car is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement