Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dublinandy3

For over 600 Euro all in you think they'd give you a USB power cable, but they don't. I guess time to order and then forget about it until I see the deduction from my card in February and startt having buyers regret.

i usually buy two of every mini, one to play and one to save unopened, I guess this one will just stay unopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

For over 600 Euro all in you think they'd give you a USB power cable, but they don't. I guess time to order and then forget about it until I see the deduction from my card in February and startt having buyers regret.

i usually buy two of every mini, one to play and one to save unopened, I guess this one will just stay unopened.

Am I reading that right? €600+ for a mini E2 with an SoC inside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Inviere wrote: »

Well.....if you were after all the bells and whistles, then yeah, after shipping and duty etc
    it's around 630 euro. At least that's what i calculated yesterday, haven't double checked.
    Otherwise the unit on its own would be around 180-190.
    Ultimately it comes down to how you use it I suppose.......190 isn't too bad for what would become a paperweight for many. But 600 plus is an entirely different proposition with addon controllers for what is still a largely unknown proposition.
    I liked the Astro City Mini, but I'm under no illusions that it performs its function just sitting on shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »

600 is a big chunk out of buying a real one!

• Advertisement

McDermotX wrote: »
    190 isn't too bad for what would become a paperweight for many. But 600 plus is an entirely different proposition with addon controllers for what is still a largely unknown proposition.

Agreed, €190 or so is just about ok given the hoops needed to jump through to get one. €600+ though, collectors or not that's just stupid considering what you're getting.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    600 is a big chunk out of buying a real one!

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

My cyberlead off Ronnie cost €600 + the shipping though

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Not sure if this is the right thread. My eBay account is registered as being a uk one as I have an address in England as well as here. I did that as it helped sell things because the British customers bid more than when they saw it located in Ireland.

Anyway the point of this post is that I received an email from eBay a couple of days ago telling me that I'll be automatically charged extra vat on items less than 150 pounds that go outside the UK now. They put in the email that you have to be careful because if you don't package it right the buyer could end up being charged twice.

Point of this post is they make it seem like it will be a spin in the hole so the few sellers that would post to Ireland may give up after the 1st of July. Hopefully not, but when I read it my thoughts were I'll only sell to British customers now so if I thought that no doubt others did too.

Edit: actually probably wise copy and paste the relevant parts of the email:

Hello andrew,

From 1 July, and in line with new legislation, eBay will collect VAT on all goods which are sold through eBay and shipped to buyers in the European Union (EU) with a consignment value up to EUR150. eBay will collect VAT on all sales to private individuals, regardless of seller status. eBay will declare the VAT collected under our Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) number.

As EU customs need to identify if VAT has already been paid for EU imports, eBay’s IOSS number needs to be shared electronically with carriers. In cases where eBay has collected VAT and the goods are shipped from the UK, you are responsible for sharing eBay’s IOSS number with your carrier. Failure to share eBay’s IOSS will lead to buyers paying VAT again on delivery. Note that the Post Office systems do not accept a manually provided IOSS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Am I right in saying we will have to pay VAT on everything below €22 now? If that's the case, are we still working on a trade deal with Japan? Wouldn't want to pay VAT on all the €2-5 'used software' that I get from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Am I right in saying we will have to pay VAT on everything below €22 now? If that's the case, are we still working on a trade deal with Japan? Wouldn't want to pay VAT on all the €2-5 'used software' that I get from there.
    Its the extra few euro which AnPost will charge to collect the VAT on the €2-5 which will make it not make sense

• Advertisement

No bargains here, but if any Nintendo or Wii U collectors are interested in some sealed games, I've thrown three of them up (side helping of Adverts tax as usual) - https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/nintendo-wii-u-sealed-games/24126812

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Not sure if this is the right thread. My eBay account is registered as being a uk one as I have an address in England as well as here. I did that as it helped sell things because the British customers bid more than when they saw it located in Ireland.

Anyway the point of this post is that I received an email from eBay a couple of days ago telling me that I'll be automatically charged extra vat on items less than 150 pounds that go outside the UK now. They put in the email that you have to be careful because if you don't package it right the buyer could end up being charged twice.

Point of this post is they make it seem like it will be a spin in the hole so the few sellers that would post to Ireland may give up after the 1st of July. Hopefully not, but when I read it my thoughts were I'll only sell to British customers now so if I thought that no doubt others did too.

I went the opposite way, I stopped shipping to the UK completely. There's a much bigger market in the EU combined than there ever was in the UK for me personally.
    I often get messages asking if Ireland is still a member of the EU. It's a major selling point if people know they're not going to get caught for customs duty, especially on the more expensive games.

Master of the Universe

Selling my Namco PS1 stick, fairly heavily modded - if I remember correctly the buttons and stick were replaced with real arcade parts. There was an additional arcade button added to the front and it seems to have a USB connection too.

The actual PS1 connection was modified to allow you to disconnect the cable from it.

Comes with it's original box. Have it up on adverts for 100 quid but if anyone here wants it, it's theirs for 70

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/namco-ps1-ps2-modded-arcade-stick-with-box/24271956

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Actually a good price. Can they be modded to take coins? Be a good earner once the pubs open back up properly

Master of the Universe

Going to be listing a load of gear for sale over the next while on adverts.

Just stuck up an AES that has some graphical glitches that someone might be able to fix.

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/neo-geo-aes-console-with-some-graphical-glitches/24503866?utm_source=email&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=AdCreated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I'll just circle like a vulture around your Adverts profile, then! 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭itguyinaction

Btw, what good sites with retro bargain offers do you know. adverts ie and anything more? Is buyer somehow protected on adverts if seller is no playing fair play?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The vast majority of adverts deals are done face to face, I know mine are anyway. It's fairly hard to be ripped off in such an instance.

Adverts had also been around long enough that lots of folks have amassed plenty of feedback, so check that first before doing anything.

To be honest like 1 out of every 10 things I see on adverts has an alright price ( and it's usually a listing by someone here)

Recently saw a copy of streets of rage with no manual for €30. Checked eBay and regularly sells for about £20 with no manual. Prices are really gone insane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Kinda damning indictment of where we are that I didn't even so much as blink at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I paid €37 for it pre-Covid CiB and that was the going rate around 2019. High enough price for a common enough game.

Yeah like a hugely selling game.

I feel old now talking about the good old days when you could buy retro games for €5 and a bag of tayto

Looking back at some of my old adverts ads, shocking what I had stuff up for and no takers sometimes

http://www.adverts.ie/2069901

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭itguyinaction

Yeah, I have also impression that the prices of retro equipment are insane. I'm curious if it's only temporarily and in 2,3 years they will be much more reasonable or is that a long perspective trend. I have theory that we usually look for things we remember from our childchood. Ex. me I'm interested in Atari stuff but probably guys being ex. 10-20 years younger will look in some time for ex. Playstation stuff and noone will want to buy Atari in some years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I think the same for Atari but the price future looks really rough for retro Playstation and particularly Nintendo since even those who weren't around for the early hardware have an interest in discovering and collecting for the past of the brands they're enjoying the present.

It just feels to me as if the market has changed permanently. The masses are much more aware of tools like pricecharting to determine what their hardware and games are worth, and also that older stuff is appreciating so there's never a rush to sell. Not to mention the resellers making a living off finding what few bargains are left to sell on for market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Could you guys give an estimate of the value of a working Sega Multimega (aka Mega CD) with over 10 discs incl Sonic and Batman?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The console is worth about 400/500 euro.

The games you should just look up on eBay.

And, it goes without saying, no buying and selling in the main forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks for the info.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement