Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.S. 10101 - The replacement for ET101:2008

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Henry..

meercat wrote: »
    In 2016 Reci recommend switching showers by contactor

When I discussed this with my inspector shortly afterwards he didn’t seem keen on the idea

The control circuit also has to be rcd protected and a double pole switch outside the bathroom door.

Page 6

https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/09/2016dec_news.pdf

My inspector also ruled out contactor isolation for kitchens

You're just doubling up by adding a contactor

The dials on the shower unit control the shower and the isolator provides isolation

What has RCD protection of control circuit got to do with anything or what regulation is that, electrical equipment in bathroom zones is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭meercat

Henry.. wrote: »
    You're just doubling up by adding a contactor

The dials on the shower unit control the shower and the isolator provides isolation

What has RCD protection of control circuit got to do with anything or what regulation is that, electrical equipment in bathroom zones is it ?

Just pointing out what Reci recommend at the time and the discussions I had.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    In 2016 Reci recommend switching showers by contactor

When I discussed this with my inspector shortly afterwards he didn’t seem keen on the idea

As I said there is nothing wrong with switching a shower with a contactor. However this does not mean that a local isolator is not a requirement.

I take it that you are referring to this text on page 6:

As shower switches have been a common problem as regards to fires and contacts burning out, switching with a contactor is recommended.

I would take this to mean that when switching under load conditions a suitably rated contactor is preferable, not that the contactor can be used as a substitute for the local isolator. The local isolator is still a requirement for compliance with IS10101.

Why would you need to switch a shower load though is the question ?

The issues with isolators really comes down to the isolator being suitable for the task which they clearly weren't given the number of replacements needed regularly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Henry.. wrote: »
    Why would you need to switch a shower load though is the question ?

Personally I wouldn't switch the shower via anything when under load conditions. However, some people do so frequently. I also tend to leave shower isolators and cooker switches on all of the time. I believe that these are only for maintenance, nothing else. This debate has occurred on this forum many times.
    The issues with isolators really comes down to the isolator being suitable for the task which they clearly weren't given the number of replacements needed regularly

I think that too many people use low quality isolators.Crabtree and MK isolators tend to provide a lifetime of trouble free service particularly if they are not switched frequently or under load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Well the regs in earlier post have copper fastened the topic I had, as such I don’t get involved in that domestic wiring too much just the smart side of it.
    For now showers will stay wired the way via a contactor, I can suggest fitting a double pole isolator at db after contactor. Again I know not compliant, but it’s a isolator for lock off for maintenance as well as lock off rcbo.
    We see more and more customers against using pull cords in bathrooms or the cooker switch beside the light switch.
    Regs are there but a lot are horse and cart generation, so much potential there if a common ground was found. Many the cooker switch or pull cord I have seen in worse wear in installations so getting too caught up in them just because it’s a reg isn’t the be all and end all.

Picture a scenario where there is major work ongoing in an installation

Someone at the DB energizes the contactor while someone is simultaneously fitting a new shower

That is the problem or most of it with the remote switching

The person working at the shower should have locked off and prove dead. They only have key to go live. Common sense.

Fils wrote: »
    The person working at the shower should have locked off and prove dead. They only have key to go live. Common sense.

Yes, the circuit should be locked off, the protective device should be labelled correctly, the person working on the shower should verify that the power is off....

Great in theory, but in the real world (especially in domestic installations) this does not always work. This is why IS10101 requires local isolation.

If your argument was accepted on the basis that any circuit can be isolated at the distribution board, then there would not be a requirement for any local isolators (including cookers).

You need to be careful if you are depending on a local isolation point to 100% circuit dead. I have seen cooker switches used for showers and although they physically switched off the power was not interrupted through them. That’s why always lock of the mcb, rcbo of the circuit you are working on.
    If it were a lighting supply or socket supply you were working on in a domestic supply isn’t that what you would be doing anyway.
    Lock off kits are cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

Prove dead and isolate locally

Avoid direct contact

Not much else you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 40 somebodude

Q about IS10101

I'm just looking up prices of stuff, in advance of getting an electrician to do it properly, but there are few things I might misunderstand

• RCBO-type-AC - are these not still recomended for showers, immersion heaters and induction hobs ?
    • 1-pole versus '1P+N' - is that the new recommended thing, to cut off both the live and neutral when theres's a fault? is there and implications for eejits like me occasionally rewiring a socket or light fitting ? (the 1P+N cuold be twice the price it seems)
    • cable specs - what should I be looking up the prices of, in terms of (a) fusebox to shower, immersion heater ; (b) to socket loops (c) lighting loops. Lights are of course these days all low power, and conversely there's lots more going onto sockets than a few decades ago.
    • - heavy socket cable, IIUC, is supposed to be three insulated cores now, rather than two insulated plus bare earth.
    • - also the specs for plastic have changed, low halogen or something. What should I be looking at the prices of ?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭kirk.

Type AC rcds work on mains AC fault currents so is ok for resistive loads only

1P+N rcbos means solid neutral pole afaik, only live is switched

Electrical wholesalers will be up to speed on cables etc.

My understanding is that RCD’s and RCBO’s must break both poles to be compliant with IS10101. However I can’t seem to find where it states this.

Regarding "cable specs" the lrequirement is that cables shall as a minimum meet the requirements of Class Dca s2, d2, a2 or higher in accordance with I.S. EN 50575. In addition, cables shall be tested in accordance with I.S. EN 61034-2.

That's the way it should be imo , break both poles

• Registered Users Posts: 40 somebodude

FYI I'm apparently able to ask ChatGPT questions about IS10101

me> are wago-type lever clamo wire connectors acceptable in IS10101

bot> Yes, Wago-type lever clamp wire connectors are acceptable under IS10101. The standard does not specify the use of a particular brand or type of connector, but rather focuses on the requirements for the electrical installation as a whole, including proper connection of conductors. Wago-type lever clamp wire connectors are a widely used and accepted type of connector in the electrical industry due to their ease of use, reliability, and safety features. However, it is important to ensure that the connectors being used meet the appropriate standards for electrical safety and performance.

I wonder if it's true ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Handy little chart there last time I was researching it .Can't say i understand fault currents much

Type A trips for pulsating AC and isn't blinded by <6mA smooth DC

Type B operates on smooth DC fault currents

B and F do everything an A and AC does

Advertisement