Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maze Prison Running Event June 27th

• 27-05-2021 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Finally got permission today to have a half marathon, 10k and 5k races round the full site at Maze Long Kesh (MLK). The route passes the H Block, Hospital block, watch towers and the perimeter walls pictured so many times on TV.

We had it before in December 2020 but then Covid struck and it was withdrawn.

Its controlled by the Office of the First and Deputy First Minister so permission comes from them direct so they must be confident that it can proceed to have granted the go ahead.

Its a dead flat 5k lap on smooth tarmac roads, no traffic and easy to access off the A1 at Lisburn.

I'm limited to 500 in each race at present because we have to limit how many access the site at once under the regulations.

Entries will open next week on Athletics NI.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

The system is not fully open yet, I'm making the initial places available to previous entrants and members of Boards.ie

It will go fully open to the public on Monday.

Limited places available due to the 500 participant rule here in NI at present. I can get away with allowing 500 spectators in at the same time and they can be the next race warming up so really its 1000 at a time but I'm capped at 500 max per race.

Half Marathon of 5 laps at 9am
    3k at 11.30am
    10k at 12 Noon
    5k at 1.30pm
    Sprint Duathlon of 5k run, 20k bike all on site and 5k run to finish at 2.15pm

Entry link is here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

The system is not fully open yet, I'm making the initial places available to previous entrants and members of Boards.ie

It will go fully open to the public on Monday.

Limited places available due to the 500 participant rule here in NI at present. I can get away with allowing 500 spectators in at the same time and they can be the next race warming up so really its 1000 at a time but I'm capped at 500 max per race.

Half Marathon of 5 laps at 9am
    3k at 11.30am
    10k at 12 Noon
    5k at 1.30pm
    Sprint Duathlon of 5k run, 20k bike all on site and 5k run to finish at 2.15pm

Entry link is here

So what's the plan? Invite the Irish to run around H Block this month, the Jews to run around Auschwitz the next month and finish off the race series with a special invite Iraqis to set a 10k or HM PB in the historic setting of Abu Ghraib?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Funny you should say that but I have an entry from a chap who was very keen to run as his father passed away recently and he used to visit father when he was an inmate for 11 years.

Advertisement