Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Robot Mops

Options
  • 05-06-2021 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

I didn't see a thread about mops in the last 6 months or so, there was some some discussion in the Roomba thread but mainly for hoover + mop units.

I got a Braava 250 for €170. I was on the fence with the older 390T but went for the 250 as it didn't need the navigation cube and apparently needs less babysitting. Similar to robot mowers, there's not much interest in mops compared to hoovers so it was a bit of a gamble. Reviews for these things aren't great but I think people want too much from them.

The 250 is a very simple device. Considering the cheap price point and lack of cameras it's nice to see it doesn't use a random pattern and goes in a straight line. It seems to do a decent job. I've used it twice downstairs so far. First I used the wet pad which has a back and forth, side to side scrub pattern, then switched to the damp pad which goes in a straight line. The mop head vibrates to 'scrub' as it's going along.

There's just two of us in the house, no kids or pets so don't need a thorough scrub just a wipe from foot prints, coffee spills etc. It had no issue getting rid of dried beetroot and coffee stains on the tile in the kitchen.

The unit apparently only does 20-25m², our house is 112m, the kitchen making up for half of downstairs, it seems to cover the kitchen and hallway. I haven't fully charged the unit so didn't see it complete a clean cycle but it should manage most of one floor. As this isn't a daily use device I don't have an issue charging the battery or not having a dock or app control. Our Roomba 960 goes off at 10:30pm each night then when one of us wakes up for work we can use the Braava once or twice a week. We rarely mop and only have a cheap one so the Braava probably does a better job and will do it more often.

It's early days but I can't see myself having any issues with it given the simplicity of it all. I've ordered some washable pads off Amazon. I've only used warm water so far, they say not to use cleaning solution in the tank but have their own brand stuff, some people just spray floor cleaner on the floor and let it work around it so we'll probably do that.

Advertisement