Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

So during lockdown we can't meet up, but how about the next best thing?

Why don't we use the Netplay feature of EMUVR to meet up in a Virtual Room and play some retro games, chat and even watch retro documentaries if needs be?

The cool thing is that you don't need a VR headset to play online in an EMUVR session also, but you will need a PC:

And yes, it even supports scanlines, aperture grill.
    You can choose from plenty of virtual CRT monitors including PVM/BVMs.
    One of us could host the room and customize it with posters and take requests on styling the room.

Another option that is VR only and even supports standalone VR headsets (Oculus Quest 1 & 2) would be Bigscreen, where we could meet in an online virtual cinema environment watch retro videos, or watch one person streaming themselves playing a retro game from their pc one at a time streaming and No Netplay unfortunately.

So... TLDR
    What do people think about the idea and who wants to have a Virtual Beers?

EMUVR sounds like the best option to me as its the closest thing possibly to a beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's actually a really great idea.

I don't currently have a gaming PC myself though so wouldn't have the heft to run it. Wonder is there some way for us laptop using scum (!) to join? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd be there for the bants and to tell you how **** every game is.

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's actually a really great idea.

I don't currently have a gaming PC myself though so wouldn't have the heft to run it. Wonder is there some way for us laptop using scum (!) to join? :D

In desktop nonVR mode you might be able to run it. Im using an old laptop to rest at the moment.

Frame rate isnt the best on the old laptop but its running a puny Radeon 7600G APU.

Alternatively we could set up Retroarch with Netplay and have upto 4 players at a time with that and use a Discord Server for chat.
    We'd need to chat on discord with EMUVR also as you can only type.
    EMUVR uses an older version of Retoarch with netplay as its base emulator btw.

Edit: Leaving this link here for future reference on getting 4 players working in standalone Retroarch netplay:
    https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/10424

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd be there for the bants and to tell you how **** every game is.

Never change :pac:

Doge wrote: »
    Frame rate isnt the best on the old laptop but its running a puny Radeon 7600G APU.

Alternatively we could set up Retroarch with Netplay and have upto 4 players at a time with that and use a Discord Server for chat.
    We'd need to chat on discord with EMUVR also as you can only type.
    EMUVR uses an older version of Retoarch with netplay as its base emulator btw.

Edit: Leaving this link here for future reference on getting 4 players working in standalone Retroarch netplay:
    https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/10424

Filling discord with a few heads and playing some games on Retroarch would be good fun too alright - will check out that netplay link now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I won't be able to take part, unfortunately, but let me know how it all goes, sounds like a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Ok where has that time gone. :confused:

Finally managed to get logged back in here after quite a long absence. Hope everyone is doing as well as possible in these **** times.

When the light at the end of the tunnel is the lamp of an oncoming train i pretty much hid away. But i shall promise to post more Boulder Dash goodies soon. (Fun fact. My WR on Twin Galaxies was not accepted) :eek:

Super Mario Kart is going well. Top 30 overall in PAL and NTSC and i might get away in August to our Championship event.

Little Miss Sparks is doing well and so is my Wife. All of us are sending love.

In regards Retroarch i'd be up for a few games online in the future. Have all the pads and know the setup to get something going. As for discord i'm on there regular in the SMK group and a few others dealing with retrogaming.

Chat very soon xxx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm hoping we might see each other soon enough.
    We have put up a cover over the patio here in Chez Ciderman, so there's extra space for us to occupy, especially in these warmer months.
    I suppose it depends on folks vaccine status at this point, my wife and I are vaccinated so it's up to the rest of you.
    We could target some Friday in August perhaps, make a big bash of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll brush up on my Ghouls n'Ghosts skills.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll brush up on my Ghouls n'Ghosts skills.

You've had over a year of lockdown, I'm expecting savant levels of ability. :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    You've had over a year of lockdown, I'm expecting savant levels of ability. :D

I'm expecting you'll be disappointed!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm expecting you'll be disappointed!

I'm expecting the joypad to be another dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Would be great to meet up again and catchup alright :)
    We've been vaccinated recently and hopefully by August most people who want it will be done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I'd love to, the last few times we couldn't do it but I'll keep optimistic.
    Hopefully I'll have vaccine by then and there's no travel restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I've had my first dose of Pfizer, due another in a few weeks so I should be fully vaccinated.

I'd be well up for it, it's been quite a while since I've had a chance to hang with you folks! :-)

Master of the Universe

I see Token is set to reopen on the 30th of July!

Might not be safe yet to invade someone's home, but would anyone be up for a bit of a Token meetup maybe? be great to support the guys and see all your (masked!) faces again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I'm getting my 2nd dose of Pfizer at the weekend, so I'm game for a Token meet-up provided the new baby is cooperating at the time!

Sounds good to me.

Just remember the power of the Sega Nomad

You must respect that, should you bring one along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm surprised Token couldn't open as arcade only with bookings and limited capacity considering how many other places are open. Gyms apparently don't require masks and other places where you'd be a long time like the cinema and tattoo studios are open.

• Advertisement

I've my second shot for monday but I'm helping out with a play for the next few weeks at the weekends.

Just to add, I have loads os space and I have added an outdoor cover outside, in the backgarden, so if people are vaccinated I am happy to host

Master of the Universe

Maybe we could hit two birds with one stone and Retr0 could host his play in your garden? :D

Sounds like an idea - sure lets see how folks go with their vaccines over the next while. We're both double jabbed here so happy to head out when folks are ready.

You bring the Virtual Boys, Vectrex and X6800's. I'll bring the Tennessee Williams to bring the mood down.

Master of the Universe

It all sounds like it will work.

Again, assuming it isn't raining I can put a couple of consoles outside as well, as we have power out there as well as cover and benches.

No CDi... none... ever...

Bu we still haven't beaten Burn Cycle?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing Johann Sebastian Joust outside with Move controllers is probably the best multiplayer game experience I’ve ever had. Highly recommended for outdoor gaming. Perhaps a less intense version for the pandemic era :p

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I hadn't heard of that, just checked out a video and it looks absolutely gas!

Advertisement