Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bookies Reopening

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

chancer007 wrote: »
    any update on the reopening?

About 2 weeks time. PP and few others are training a lot of new staff next week so safe to assume it will be soon enough after that unless something changes in government policy in big way between now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

17th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 carlirl

never bet what you can`t afford to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

carlirl wrote: »
    never bet what you can`t afford to lose

Most of us on here like a bet. And if we lose our bollocks we don’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Most of us on here like a bet. And if we lose our bollocks we don’t care.

Couldn't have put it better myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

In a few today :), very quiet with very few punters around with most placing their bets and walking out which is what the government was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Called in to collect on a few old dockets. Like a morgue in there. The guy behind counter said very few in yesterday either. I'd say the high street shops days are numbered.

Called in to collect on a few old dockets. Like a morgue in there. The guy behind counter said very few in yesterday either. I'd say the high street shops days are numbered.

I'd agree, there's a huge downsizing period on the way for bookies in this country imo. It's an industry that's ideally suited to work mainly online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

SteM wrote: »
    I'd agree, there's a huge downsizing period on the way for bookies in this country imo. It's an industry that's ideally suited to work mainly online.

This and the problems with bookies being smashed up by loons who can’t handle losing. Some of the stuff you see on YouTube is mental.

This and the problems with bookies being smashed up by loons who can’t handle losing. Some of the stuff you see on YouTube is mental.

They have constant issues. Lads writing vague dockets on purpose, running up late to put a bet on, claiming wrong payouts, claiming being shortchanged etc. All of these headaches go away if bookies move online.

I don't think all shops will shut but I really do think that as you see some leases finish they won't be renewed and some shops will close. A lot depends on reopening of pubs I guess.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    They have constant issues. Lads writing vague dockets on purpose, running up late to put a bet on, claiming wrong payouts, claiming being shortchanged etc. All of these headaches go away if bookies move online.

I don't think all shops will shut but I really do think that as you see some leases finish they won't be renewed and some shops will close. A lot depends on reopening of pubs I guess.

Know of a certain Eastern European 'culture' that seem the most "prolific" in that regard.... They do be certainly complaining the most.. Most certainly very demonstrative with their bogus illegitimate complaints...

I reckons they think they have some sort of a "4 chances to win" entitlement :D

No's 1 & 7 eg are very similar.... There could also be 2 races on at the same time, such as 12.48 Steepledowns and Turffontein (a lot of clashes in times with them 'hobby' horses and the 'early doors' South African racing.. Plus an odd French meet as well)... Suppose they've other tactics as well. Not just that culture I alluded to, that does be at it; but I guess I just seem to see them 'remonstrating' more with the clerks; than anyone else..

Most likely they got plenty of 'schemes' to try and rip the bookies off...

Often times in their 'butter wouldn't melt righteous grievance' defence; the exaggerated pointing towards the floor plays a part; where they claim they've thrown similar "losing" dockets... And out with the "these bets I do always" :D Can only laugh... A ruddy scourge they is :rolleyes:

No harm if they got rid of them coffee machines and the bikkies etc... Anything to keep that calibre out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I've been back in a few times this week and havent noticed any real differences apart from less punters maybe cos the pubs are still closed.

pottokblue wrote: »
    I've been back in a few times this week and havent noticed any real differences apart from less punters maybe cos the pubs are still closed.

They're all dead quiet. Been speaking to a few staff and it's not simply because pubs still closed

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Be interesting to see how busy shops are when the pubs back open - Bar One opening plenty of shops - opened one right between 2 pubs in Clonmel recently

PP, Lads and Boyles were giving out free bets later on in the week.
    Most likely due to the small number of punters around, looking for people to come in.
    When the pubs reopen, it will be interesting to see how the betting shops are doing then.

Been to ladrokes a few times since reopening first time they had seating then today all chairs were gone. I asked the lads about the chairs and he said that they had to remove them as the coffee shops werent happy that people could spend time indoors the bookie and not indoors the coffeeshop but sure they trade in different things. Anyhow boyles still had their high stools I'm suprised the pubs havent asked for their removal.

pottokblue wrote: »
    Been to ladrokes a few times since reopening first time they had seating then today all chairs were gone. I asked the lads about the chairs and he said that they had to remove them as the coffee shops werent happy that people could spend time indoors the bookie and not indoors the coffeeshop but sure they trade in different things. Anyhow boyles still had their high stools I'm suprised the pubs havent asked for their removal.

The reason isnt about coffee shops its simply to reduce reasons for people to stay inside the bookies longer than they would if the chairs were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is Paddy Power shops open tomorrow on a bank holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Think the delay in the opening of new ladbokes opp Whelans is to make it wheel chair accessible.

• Advertisement

Its now open and a very swish shop only thing its missing is a picture of Gold Kellie and a toilet for the paying punters.

Anyone know if bookies will be affected by the new recommendations. I asked the lad this morning but he hadnt heard. Nobody in the bookies this moring very quiet for an Asoct/Haydock prechristmas meetings.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭mike2084

I don't think it affects them yet they are being treated as retail for the moment AFAIK.

PP have closed Dundrum and Naas road shops with more to follow.

Most PP shops are located beside/near pubs and now with the pub trade suffering, turnover is also suffering.

Expect other bookies to follow in new year.

In most of the bookies I've been into none of the staff wear masks. I wonder if the bosses offer daily lateral flow tests to their staff to keep the transmission risks down. I try to keep my exposure time limited inout the shop in15mins then handhygiene!

Advertisement