Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legacy F1 entitlement with Sky discontinued

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

AMKC wrote: »
    Nope Sky will not allow it. They own all the channels so it makes no sense. They are losing customers because of it. I would love the Sky Sports F1 channel nut no way am I paying for all that other rubbish I have zero interest in so not happening. Just in the last week or two even if you look over this thread you will see they have lost customers which makes no sense at all.
    They are basically shooting themselves in the foot.

Aye big time, I cancelled my Sky Sports when BT Sport came out, it massively devalued the Sky Sports package as everything is now split across the 2 companies and buying both is too expensive. F1 and Rugby would be my main sporting interests, the Champions Cup is split across the 2, I just stream now, plenty of HD Streams available for F1 and Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Nope Sky will not allow it.

They certainly did for UK customers until recently so.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭barryribs

Before I got wise, I used NOW TV for F1 and sports . So for anyone thats gotten rid of sky, promocode NOWSMMMAST23 will give you all sky sports for 30 EUR for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

You can get the individual channels in the UK.

£18 a month for F1 or £22 for all the sports channels.

All Bernie cared about was getting the highest amount per race.

There was word about lowering the price for a public channel to take it as the teams are complaining about viewers for sponsors but Covid has put that to bed. Liberty is over a billion in the red after the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Eleven Sports is another option to consider.

110 Euro a year (VPN set to Portugal would probably be necessary).

Quite nice set of things over there:

549746.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

There is a thread over in Bargain Alerts with a few other options too. VPN needed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SlicedBread19

Same story for me, my wife rang up today to cancel my Sky Cinema subscription and they just casually dropped in the fact that my F1 package would be switched off soon. I’ve had it for 7-8 years. The only option they could offer was to subscribe to Sky Sports which would be I think it was 9.99 for 6 months and then go up to full price, but it was on a minimum 12 month contract and would re-start my whole package on a 12 month contract. F1 is the only sport I watch so I have 0 interest in paying for all the other channels that I’ll never use so I guess it’s “alternative options” for me from here on out.

I only upgraded to Q in November and had to argue pretty hard to keep my package with the F1 channel, so I still have 6 months left on my contract, will enquire if this gives me the right to cancel but I’m sure they’ll have that sewn up pretty tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I had this debate with someone I know who works for Sky a while back.

Apparently their internal data indicates that most F1 fans (excluding the vocal minority here!) will pay for a full sports package if they can't get the F1 on its own – and Sky feels that they'll make more money by bundling.

Personally I'm holding out for the F1TV service being available here.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Noxegon wrote: »
    I had this debate with someone I know who works for Sky a while back.

Apparently their internal data indicates that most F1 fans (excluding the vocal minority here!) will pay for a full sports package if they can't get the F1 on its own – and Sky feels that they'll make more money by bundling.
    Most F1 fans are probably fans of other sports too and don’t mind paying for the other channels. But there are plenty like myself who’ve no interest in any other sports channels and can’t justify paying so much for just F1.
    Personally I'm holding out for the F1TV service being available here.

No need to hold out, it’s easy enough to get here, I’ve been using it here for the last few weeks without any issue. I’m watching on an Apple TV and it’s great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I got a call from them today but ignored it as I didn’t have time to argue (not that it would help). It looks like I’ll be cancelling the whole subscription though as I don’t really watch much else on SKY.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

v10 wrote: »
    No need to hold out, it’s easy enough to get here, I’ve been using it here for the last few weeks without any issue. I’m watching on an Apple TV and it’s great.

Do you need to VPN?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

If you own a smartphone and smart TV you can download the Sky Sports Mobile TV app and "cast" the content from your phone onto your big screen. It costs €13.99 per month and you get the full package including F1. It's reliable too with very few breakdowns or interruptions and makes sense if you have only one particular sporting interest like motor racing rather than purchasing a full subscription. They are also providing full live Indycar coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Do you need to VPN?

Only to sign up

Which country did you use to sign up for F1 TV Pro? Poland is €50. Is that the cheapest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

recyclebin wrote: »
    [...] Is that the cheapest?

Yup. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    Yup. :)

Do they need a payment card registered to that country? Or are there any other limitations or catches?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I just discovered this weekend that my Sky F1 HD channel is no longer available. I signed up for it when it left the BBC and now I'm on the legacy entitlement.

However, I only have the channel in normal definition, which is terrible - you can't even read some of the onscreen text.

I do have HD on Sky Go, so I ended up watching the race on my laptop.

Is anyone else the same, i.e. no HD but you have the regular channel? Should I have HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

recyclebin wrote: »
    Which country did you use to sign up for F1 TV Pro? Poland is €50. Is that the cheapest?

I just remembered I moved to Poland this morning. I’ll give this a try it’s definitely better than paying NowTV a tenner per race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SlicedBread19

I just discovered this weekend that my Sky F1 HD channel is no longer available. I signed up for it when it left the BBC and now I'm on the legacy entitlement.

However, I only have the channel in normal definition, which is terrible - you can't even read some of the onscreen text.

I do have HD on Sky Go, so I ended up watching the race on my laptop.

Is anyone else the same, i.e. no HD but you have the regular channel? Should I have HD?

I still have HD and I’m still on the legacy entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

So, I’ve been switched to the Signature package, I’m getting channels now that I didn’t get before, like Eurosport, and my bill has gone down as a result but I still have Sky Sports F1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@Popple3 Who are you with?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Popple3 wrote: »
    So, I’ve been switched to the Signature package, I’m getting channels now that I didn’t get before, like Eurosport, and my bill has gone down as a result but I still have Sky Sports F1.

Exactly the same.

When I renewed last November the agent said that I couldn’t keep my f1 legacy if I moved to their signature package. But, like you, I’ve been moved and my f1 is still on (for the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ads20101 wrote: »
    Exactly the same.

When I renewed last November the agent said that I couldn’t keep my f1 legacy if I moved to their signature package. But, like you, I’ve been moved and my f1 is still on (for the moment)

Is it Sky you are with?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Is it Sky you are with?

Yes

Advertisement