Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Purgative wrote: »
    Mr Ed was great, bit earlier than the 80s

The poster might be recalling it from the Anything Goes broadcasts of the early 1980s.

A HORSE IS A HORSE OF COURSE OF COURSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Prisoner Cell Block H.

Ive no reason for why i liked it :)

Wobbley sets. Shaky camera work. Dreadful writing and hammy acting of the best kind.

What's not to love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nottalking2u

Prisoner Cell Block H.

Ive no reason for why i liked it :)

Oh it was probably all that rivalry between Bea Smith and Joan Ferguson :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

ShyMets wrote: »

Wobbley sets. Shaky camera work. Dreadful writing and hammy acting of the best kind.

What's not to love.

Also the legendary hotness of Doreen

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The poster might be recalling it from the Anything Goes broadcasts of the early 1980s.

A HORSE IS A HORSE OF COURSE OF COURSE

It's one of those shows I never actually watched an episode of but it seems to have taken on an afterlife in other TV shows and that's where I know it from.
    Ditto for say Gilligans Island.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"Francis the Talking Mule" was another one in the same vein (although I've just discovered it wasn't a TV series but 7 separate films...).

Then there was "My Favorite Martian" and "Run, Buddy, Run"

Also the legendary hotness of Doreen

Stop. You're getting me going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Those of you who like old British TV programmes (and I suspect there are a few) should get hold of a copy of an excellent book called "Turned Out Nice Again" by Louis Barfe, which puports to cover all of the history of light entertainment in the UK but concentrates on post war television up to the end of the century. Some absoulutely facinating stories as told by those who were there.

OK, back to the old TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

ShyMets wrote: »

What's not to love.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Sons and Daughters was another belter of an Aussie classic and The Sullivans likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Sons and Daughters was another belter of an Aussie classic and The Sullivans likewise.
    I think what added to the memories of Prisoner Cell Block H was that it was timed for people coming back from the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

cml387 wrote: »
    I think what added to the memories of Prisoner Cell Block H was that it was timed for people coming back from the pub.

I liked the Sullivan's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Does anyone remember an Irish version of Gamesmaster and Bad Influence?
    I think Joe Rooney was one of the hosts, it was funny because he seemed to know sweet FA about video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Does anyone remember an Irish version of Gamesmaster and Bad Influence?
    I think Joe Rooney was one of the hosts, it was funny because he seemed to know sweet FA about video games.
    no but I do remember another one with a black haired woman as host with that young fella who seemed to be on everything at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

smilerf wrote: »
    no but I do remember another one with a black haired woman as host with that young fella who seemed to be on everything at the time

That stalwart of All Things Retro, Kevin The Teenager or Kevo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Cyberstream?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cyberstream?
    No a bit earlier. 90s I think. It was basically children playing video games against each other like on Gamesmaster. Quite short-lived iirc.
    The more I think of it , it might have been Joe Rooney or else someone who looked quite like him- dark sticky up hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No a bit earlier. 90s I think. It was basically children playing video games against each other like on Gamesmaster. Quite short-lived iirc.
    The more I think of it , it might have been Joe Rooney or else someone who looked quite like him- dark sticky up hair.
    Paul Tylak, his comedy partner had sticky up hair.

dside-joe-rooney-paul-tylak-258x350.jpg

There is a retro computer game forum, they would know there. I cannot recall it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Good Grief Moncrief. This lasted only a very short while I think, was it part of the End on Network 2 or separate? Theres nothing at all in the way of clips online.

Good Grief Moncrief. This lasted only a very short while I think, was it part of the End on Network 2 or separate? Theres nothing at all in the way of clips online.

The End with Barry Murphy was great. The time slot was perfect. Lads just back from the pub probably with a snack box ready to tear apart.

I remember they had a section called 'Authentic Camcorder Stings' which was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Prisoner starring Patrick McGoohan. It was completely bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

madmaggie wrote: »
    The Prisoner starring Patrick McGoohan. It was completely bonkers.

Usually watched it after a load of pints. None of us knew what was going on except to all say "I am not a number, I am a free man." Happy days ;).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That reminds me of an old episode of the Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

AFAIR The End also showed God, The Devil and Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gorgonzaga

flazio wrote: »
    Mid to late 90s "High tech, spy tech" drama Bugs on the BBC on Saturday nights.

Loved that show!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

aptz1ezguenwxbgbd7ge.jpg

Loved Dear John

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Oberkon wrote: »
    aptz1ezguenwxbgbd7ge.jpg

Loved Dear John

Yeah, that was a great show,

I watched it on Youtube recently and I really enjoyed it again. I don't think it has been properly repeated in ages.

There was a US remake of Dear John with Judd Hirsch... lasted 90 episodes!

BBC did 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There was a US remake of Dear John with Judd Hirsch... lasted 90 episodes!

BBC did 14.

It’s gas only 14 -nowadays they milk everything , look at Fawlty Towers . It was only 12 . I nearly know every line . The Walking Dead - how many episodes .... just became boring

Oberkon wrote: »
    It’s gas only 14 -nowadays they milk everything , look at Fawlty Towers . It was only 12 . I nearly know every line . The Walking Dead - how many episodes .... just became boring

Its not a now v then thing, it seems to be more of a US v UK thing.
    Not entirely sure why, the US traditionally has had a TV season that ran from September to May, airing like 20+ episodes but they would take a break for certain months and show repeats or sports events etc.
    If you look at any of the big US shows from the 80s and 90s like Cheers, Frasier, ER, West Wing they had a lot of episodes racked up.
    There's definitely a balance of quality v quantity there, needing a lot of supporting cast and filler stories. Hence you would often get one 'Oirish' episode, one 'Chinatown' episode etc in MacGyver, Murder She Wrote or whatever.

• Advertisement

Bumping this thread to mention that RTE2 will be showing epic mini-series Roots The Next Generation on Saturday post midnight.

It traces the lives of Kunta Kinte's descendants from the 1880s to the 1960s.

Advertisement