Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 US Election

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Augme

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Trump acquitted at his Senate trial so he's now free to run in 2024 (provided he doesnt end up in prison). PP dropped their odds from 10/1 to 9/1 this evening. I wouldnt tie up money on it now but 9/1 is a great price for something that could genuinely happen, Americans love a comeback story and he fits the mould perfectly now.

What makes you could say it could genuinely happen? If he couldn't do it on the back of 4 years in the job, why do you think he will do it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Trump acquitted at his Senate trial so he's now free to run in 2024 (provided he doesnt end up in prison). PP dropped their odds from 10/1 to 9/1 this evening. I wouldnt tie up money on it now but 9/1 is a great price for something that could genuinely happen, Americans love a comeback story and he fits the mould perfectly now.

He's obese and will be 78 years old in 2024. From a health point of view I'd be surprised if he's a runner tbh.

He's made a fortune from a large amount of easily manipulated people. His job is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I've taken some 100/1 Ron De Santis for 2024, not going to suggest I have fortunes on it , but that price was to tempting.

The Trumpers love him and more importantly the donors who finance the party like him as he governs like a standard Republican.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Augme wrote: »
    What makes you could say it could genuinely happen? If he couldn't do it on the back of 4 years in the job, why do you think he will do it now?

Because it will be a completely different race in 2024, there will be no coronavirus, no BLM protests like there was during the campaign just gone. Biden isnt going to heal anything and the divide and anger thats in the US now will still be there in 2024. A lot of it is racial and the presumptive Dem nominee Kamala Harris is not going to have an easy time of it as a lot of people will come out to specifically vote against her, just like they did for Hillary. To be clear though Im not saying Trump is going to run but if he does he is still in with a shout. The conditions for him to win are still present, sure huge amounts of the Republican voters genuinely believe the election was stolen,thats a huge motivator for them to get out and right 'the wrong'. It will only take the flipping of Georgia, Arizona, Wisconsin and Michigan to hand the White House back to the Reps, it was such a close election that this is not an impossible task.

In any case I put a few quid on Pompeo last week. Found him too hard to resist at 40/1 as it is known he would like a crack at it and he could be the Trump nominee. He has a lot of the credentials needed to run and Id see him as a better pick than Pence or Haley, neither of which will appeal to the Trump wing of the party whereas Pompeo does.

@Rjd2 where did you get 100/1 on de Santis, PP are only offering 25/1

An early signal of what direction the Republican Party are going- next Sunday both Trump and Mike Pompeo will address CPAC which is the main conference of the Republican Party . Nikki Haley has not been invited to speak and Mike Pence is invited to speak but he has refused the invitation, perhaps fearful of an angry Trump crowd shouting him down as a traitor.

The Republican Party is owned by Trump now and Id expect Pompeo to be his wingman at all the events and rallies that Trump does from here on in.

• Advertisement

I took the 100/1 with coral a good few weeks ago for Ron D.
    Plenty of time obviously and the big fear for him he is not a great debater and Florida will be very messy as so many will have their eye on running.

Ric Scott dislikes him and has **** you money for example.

So while I am happy with the 100/1,,,I would not touch him at 25/1 even with stolen money.

I backed Harris a few years ago at 33/1 for 2020, got quite excited around the first debate and then it went all a bit Pete Tong.

Right how Hailey's campaign feels very similar to that of Jeb and Harris, the donor's love her but I just don't think she will be able to connect with the voting base.

People dislike insincerity (unless you are Trump who can fake it ) and she doesn't have his acting chops so her trying to keep Trumpers and the never trumpers happy just won't work.

How anyone can back her at 12/1 -16/1 is a mystery.

I'm skeptical of Big Mike, but need to see how he does on the debate stage before totally writing him off.

100/1 was pretty irresistable on de Santis but yeah 25/1 not at all. Florida will indeed be messy with Marco Rubio intending to run again. Plus Ivanka just bought a house there and the rumour is she wants to run against Rubio first for the Senate and then maybe for the White House.

Nikki Haley is just too establishment for the Trump wing and Trump snubbing her attempt to meet him a couple of days ago does not bode well. She wrote an opinion piece in the WSJ that criticised Trump and it did not go down well with him at all.

Pompeos debating skills are unknown unless there is old footage out there from 2011 when he won a seat in Congress.But Id expect him to shout down all comers in a debate scenario just like Trump did. He is nicely positioned right beside Trump for the next few years, if none of the Trump kids run then I think he'll take the opportunity to do so himself.

Also should add expect Matt Gaetz to at least consider running who is also from Florida.

Their is 3 depressing facts about him running...

A He is awful
    B He will raise a lot of money from gullible Trump voters despite not having a prayer...
    C He probably will be the only person on the stage whose foreign policy won't be "American exceptionalism for all" :P

Yeah so going to be a ****show Florida.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

Matt Gaetz is a clown, he won't appeal at all to either the Trump wing or the more normal wing.

Advertisement