Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Service Pensions Collection

• 11-01-2021 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭

Good morning folks. First time poster on this forum , so please forgive the many questions, and little to no information.

I have some questions about chasing down records of service for my great grandfather, and would appreciate if anyone could point me in the general direction.

THe information I have is scant. My great grandmother was in receipt of a pension in the 1970's, off the back of my great grandfather's service. In the family, this payment was referred to as coming from "the IRA". There was also a set of military medals, which have sadly gone missing in the interveneing years.

In browsing a little, I came across the Military Service Pensions Collection, whaich has collated data only as far as 1923. I think my grandfather's service, whatever it might have been, would have been after this period. A quick check of their databases shows up nothing.

The Pensions collection have a section regarding medals, and medal certificates. One of the aims I have in chasing down this info, is to see whether a medal certificate could be issued to our family, something that would make my grandmother happy, I think.

I realise there is next to nothing to go on here, but if anyone could even point me in the direction of the next step I should take, or what other information might prove useful, I'd be very grateful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Have you looked up the Irish military archives online? I think there is an option where you can enter the name of the person and it will bring up all the information they have in relation to that person?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks for that. Is that different from the Military Pensions Register? When I use your search term, it just brings me back to that.

If it helps at all, he was born in 1902, so likely his service was only during the Civil War, also likely to be the origins of the idea that the IRA were paying the pension

*Edit* after diving a little deeper, I've found his file. Thank you very much for your help

Advertisement