Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adding resistance bands to the squat question.

Options
  • 12-06-2021 7:29pm
    Site Banned Posts: 22

I have seen it suggested online that adding resistance bands to a squat bar is a good method. I usually squat the bar plus 10kg weights on each side. I am able to bang out twenty reps or so at this stage so I've decided that it's time to progress by adding the band's. I actually find the bands much easier though and can squat 30 reps or possibly even higher if I pushed myself to failure. Is this common when using band resistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I have seen it suggested online that adding resistance bands to a squat bar is a good method. I usually squat the bar plus 10kg weights on each side. I am able to bang out twenty reps or so at this stage so I've decided that it's time to progress by adding the band's. I actually find the bands much easier though and can squat 30 reps or possibly even higher if I pushed myself to failure. Is this common when using band resistance.

Have you no other plates to add?

You can do more reps with bar+20kg with bands added than you can with just bar+20kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

What way have you the bands attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Just add weight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Yep, if you have more plates, it’s time to head towards the world of a three digit squat numbers, OP.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Physiologybrah

Deano7788 wrote: »
    What way have you the bands attached?

I put them around the ends of the bar and loop them over the top of the rack.

• Advertisement

Cill94 wrote: »
    Just add weight.

Lol would if I had any more. They are an awful price atm

I put them around the ends of the bar and loop them over the top of the rack.

Yeah that will actually be making the lift easier. To make it harder it would need to be around the bar and bottom of the rack essentially.

When attached to the top, as you go down the band will become more stretched and build tension and that then helps you back up as the band goes back to normal.

Yeah that will actually be making the lift easier. To make it harder it would need to be around the bar and bottom of the rack essentially.

When attached to the top, as you go down the band will become more stretched and build tension and that then helps you back up as the band goes back to normal.

Ah I see. I thought of doing that but couldn't find anywhere to anchor the band below. So essentially if I'm going to get any benefit from the band I'll actually have to use even more weight than I previously was?

Ah I see. I thought of doing that but couldn't find anywhere to anchor the band below. So essentially if I'm going to get any benefit from the band I'll actually have to use even more weight than I previously was?

Yes. If you're going to get any benefit from the band, then you will have to use it to increase resistance rather than decrease it.

Essentially. Another thing to note is that the resistance curve with bands isn’t constant throughout the lift. It provides most assistance when it’s stretched furthest so essentially it provide the most help at the bottom and then less and less as you go up.

In this case though with weight limited the only thing you could do is figure out a way of attaching from the bottom, or else switching to a single leg variation for now.

• Advertisement

Essentially. Another thing to note is that the resistance curve with bands isn’t constant throughout the lift. It provides most assistance when it’s stretched furthest so essentially it provide the most help at the bottom and then less and less as you go up.

In this case though with weight limited the only thing you could do is figure out a way of attaching from the bottom, or else switching to a single leg variation for now.

Id imagine single leg squatting 40kg would be beyond my level atm, even with the band.

Yes. If you're going to get any benefit from the band, then you will have to use it to increase resistance rather than decrease it.

How would I do that?

Id imagine single leg squatting 40kg would be beyond my level atm, even with the band.
    You might be able to for a few reps if you can hit 40kg for 20 reps on squat and then build from there, or alternatively drop to just the bar (no bands) and see how that goes.

The only other alternative would be a limiting variation like a tempo squat where you descend at a controlled rate of say 3 seconds and possibly include a pause at the bottom. Otherwise without more weight it’s difficult to add resistance or make things harder.
    How would I do that?

Only way is to attach from bottom so that as you go up the band gets more stretched.

Just use the bar. If you only have 40kg and it's too light for squats, start doing single leg work. Split squats, Bulgarian split squats, lunges etc. No weight, holding a 10kg plate...whatever your starting point is.

How would I do that?

Attach it to the bottom of the rack.

The alternative is to use tempo and/or pause (as Deano described) or single leg work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Lol would if I had any more. They are an awful price atm

In that case I'd just go split squat as you'd mentioned

Okay thank you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

The bands need to come from the bottom to be working against them. If you have heavy dumbells you can weigh them down with them in the absence of pins.

You could use a luggage hand weighing hook to estimate the resistance weight at the max stretch you get to during your squat.

I would also recommend squatting to a box at parallel or below.

Bands are really good to bring on your squat. Be careful to build up the weight slowly with just bands first as they will feel a lot different and heavier than the bar on it’s own.

Advertisement