Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost per hour of private care

Options
  • 09-06-2021 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Would anyone know the day and weekend rate of hourly pay if organising directly with a level 5 qualified carer for 2 elderly people living together. Currently paying €12 per hour on weekdays and €15 per hour on weekends and want to check if this is sufficient. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

Lots of views but no opinions!! Anybody???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have no idea, but while that is over minimum wage it seems modest enough for full time caring for two people. Would it be live in? Is there another carer(s) or just the one on 24 hour duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How many hours would they be doing?
    On or off the books so say a nixer.

Wife is level 7 so her wages in HSE aren't much more then that ... I actually can't understand myself how poor their pay is for the work, care and compassion they give.

Many thanks for the replies.

To answer the questions:
    There are currently 3 carers caring for 2 sisters. They are are generally covering the hours from 2pm to 8pm. I help organise a rota that suits them as they have other jobs or people to care for. Mostly 2 different carers each day but mostly one carer at a time but we have overlapped in 2-3 days to allow one carer to take one of the sisters for a walk while the other stays with the other sister.
    We are flexible and they are flexible. 2 of the 3 have carer qualifications.

This is cash in hand which is why I think the current rate is more than fair but that's why I came on here to get a few more opinions on whether it is about the going rate.

They cook, set fire, do some laundry, chat, help to toilet, help getting changed etc. One of the sisters needs little help

Again, any feedback or opinions greatly appreciated.

JustMac wrote: »
    Many thanks for the replies.

To answer the questions:
    There are currently 3 carers caring for 2 sisters. They are are generally covering the hours from 2pm to 8pm. I help organise a rota that suits them as they have other jobs or people to care for. Mostly 2 different carers each day but mostly one carer at a time but we have overlapped in 2-3 days to allow one carer to take one of the sisters for a walk while the other stays with the other sister.
    We are flexible and they are flexible. 2 of the 3 have carer qualifications.

This is cash in hand which is why I think the current rate is more than fair but that's why I came on here to get a few more opinions on whether it is about the going rate.

They cook, set fire, do some laundry, chat, help to toilet, help getting changed etc. One of the sisters needs little help

Again, any feedback or opinions greatly appreciated.

I'd say honestly then they are more then happy themselves, although as I said it's a profession where pay is poor....
    I couldn't do it myself.

I'd say they are doing quite ok at that rate.

It's always worth noting though in worst case scenario, they aren't insured or covered so if anything even happens to them it would be a big issue.

What I would do myself is get them something nice at Christmas or if they are moving on for example especially if you were happy with the care given.

• Advertisement

I'd say honestly then they are more then happy themselves, although as I said it's a profession where pay is poor....
    I couldn't do it myself.

I'd say they are doing quite ok at that rate.

It's always worth noting though in worst case scenario, they aren't insured or covered so if anything even happens to them it would be a big issue.

What I would do myself is get them something nice at Christmas or if they are moving on for example especially if you were happy with the care given.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think that they are appreciated and therefore they are normally given a voucher or something at Christmas and birthday and given a few euro when going on holidays. Nothing set in stone. There is plenty of give and take.

JustMac wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

I think that they are appreciated and therefore they are normally given a voucher or something at Christmas and birthday and given a few euro when going on holidays. Nothing set in stone. There is plenty of give and take.

Sounds great to be honest and very good mentality on your side to actually show you care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

For an idea about rates you could view what qualified careers are advertising on Home Care Direct.

€12 / h and €15 / h at weekends is similar to what a carer would be paid through an agency. However the agency would ensure PRSI, USC and tax is paid, and they would provide insurance cover. The client could also claim tax back on what they are paying for the care provided.

You could employ your current carers through an agency or HCD if you want to bring it above board and have PRSI, USC & tax paid, and have insurance cover, as well as the option of claiming tax back. Or keep it cash in hand if you want. Bear in mind, as on Citizens Information
    If you employ the carer yourself, you should register as an employer and you will be responsible for your employee's tax and social insurance (PAYE, Universal Social Charge and PRSI). You will also have other duties and obligations as an employer, for example regarding hours of work, contracts of employment, pay slips, holidays and the minimum wage.

AFAIK the standard rate the HSE is charged for care by agencies is €25 / h. The carers working through agencies barely see half of this.

Advertisement