Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software and electronic engineering (GMIT)

• 19-05-2021 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey, anyone on here attending or graduated from software and electronic engineering in gmit? Just looking for an idea of what the course is like, hours structure etc and a general insight into the course other than what the gmit website says.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GMITGraduate

Hi There!

My name is Joe and I am a recent graduate of the Software and Electronic Engineering course in GMIT. The degree allows the student to develop skills in both Hardware and Software technology. Over the course of a students time within the programme, you will be exposed to the following:

1. Software Programming
    2. Networking
    3. Embedded Systems Development
    4. Digital Systems
    5. Engineering projects with an emphasis on the Internet of Things

The course has a strong emphasis on developing your critical thinking by applying mathematical and scientific principles to real-world engineering problems which is an essential trait to have in industry but also as an Engineer.

Regarding class structure, the hours vary throughout the four years of the course but to give you an idea, your time timetable would be in the range of 22-28 hours a week consisting of a mixture of class and practical lab-based learning. I personally found the practical labs and classes very useful because I prefer to learn from a hands-on approach rather than a densely theoretical course.

The course gives a student the opportunity to gain experience in industry as students go on an eight-month work placement in the third year. From my personal experience, I found this was a great opportunity to apply what I have learned from the course and to also make connections with people who already made significant advancements in their professional careers.

Overall, the course will challenge you given the nature of the topics at hand but with hard work and with the assistance of the lecturers from the department who deliver the course, it is achievable. As it is a mixture of Hardware and Software, there will be a number of career paths that you can choose from once you graduate rather than the one route. I hope you found this information of use to you in making a decision or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

Hi There!

My name is Joe and I am a recent graduate of the Software and Electronic Engineering course in GMIT. The degree allows the student to develop skills in both Hardware and Software technology. Over the course of a students time within the programme, you will be exposed to the following:

1. Software Programming
    2. Networking
    3. Embedded Systems Development
    4. Digital Systems
    5. Engineering projects with an emphasis on the Internet of Things

The course has a strong emphasis on developing your critical thinking by applying mathematical and scientific principles to real-world engineering problems which is an essential trait to have in industry but also as an Engineer.

Regarding class structure, the hours vary throughout the four years of the course but to give you an idea, your time timetable would be in the range of 22-28 hours a week consisting of a mixture of class and practical lab-based learning. I personally found the practical labs and classes very useful because I prefer to learn from a hands-on approach rather than a densely theoretical course.

The course gives a student the opportunity to gain experience in industry as students go on an eight-month work placement in the third year. From my personal experience, I found this was a great opportunity to apply what I have learned from the course and to also make connections with people who already made significant advancements in their professional careers.

Overall, the course will challenge you given the nature of the topics at hand but with hard work and with the assistance of the lecturers from the department who deliver the course, it is achievable. As it is a mixture of Hardware and Software, there will be a number of career paths that you can choose from once you graduate rather than the one route. I hope you found this information of use to you in making a decision or otherwise.

Thanks so much for the extensive reply, much appreciated! That sounds brilliant, I'm more of a hands on type learner myself. Is the maths very hard in the course? I understand maths is tough for all engineering disciplines but do you think a person who did pass maths when in school would find it manageable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GMITGraduate

If you meet the requirements for Maths from your Leaving Certificate you should be fine. Everything is taught from the ground up and if you are still having difficulties GMIT provides a free Maths Learning Center to help you with any problems you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

If you meet the requirements for Maths from your Leaving Certificate you should be fine. Everything is taught from the ground up and if you are still having difficulties GMIT provides a free Maths Learning Center to help you with any problems you may have.

Sounds good, thanks again for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

I did this a few years back ago, when the course was 3 years + 2 year addon. I think it’s changed now to be a 4 year course which is great as there is no competition to get into the addon.

I would break the subjects down into 4 groups (programming, hardware,maths,filler)

Programming subjects were taught very well but they could focus on some more modern stuff (like c++ we only had for one semester I think the rest was c)

Hardware subjects were extremely boring we spent 2 years making the same sort of amplifier circut just with different cut off points

Maths: Not too bad to be honest if you struggle with math then it’s a better choice then NUIG

filler most of the other classes we had classes on silly things like how to use some 1980s operating system that never sold and no longer exists… it was pointless information and it seems to have been added because a lecturer knew about it and it was an easy way to fill out the timetable. (These type of classes are probably true of most courses however)

• Advertisement
Advertisement